Route 20 through NCNP

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hello,
Anyone from Washington hear anything on when the North Cascade National Park route 20 will be opening east to west?

Thanks

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
The Blue Ridge Parkway just reopened. They showed it on the news last night. It was nothing but a parking lot! Cars everywhere and bikes too. I'll pass on that and ride the backroads until the "newness" of the reopening wears off.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Yes, the North Cascades Highway opened on May 12th. However per the National Park Service website,
North Cascades NPS Complex Remains Closed as of May 12, 2020
The Park Complex is closed to all park visitors until further notice. SR20 has been cleared and is open for travel as of May 12. Per Washington State guidance, use should be limited to essential travel.
I don't know if that means they have yellow "Do Not Cross" tape put across the parking lots and sightseeing spots, or not. I've heard California did that...and the people ripped the tape away and threw the barricades over the edge of the cliffs.

If you take that route, I suggest skipping most of I-5. I generally will take I-5 north to the rest stop by Arlington. It gives me a last potty stop before leaving to ride north on Hwy 9, and skips most of the traffic.

Chris

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
We planned this trip in early January of this year- before the COVID-19 outbreak. My friend and I are planning after NATSTOC on a 2-3 week trip up through Montana ( Little Big Horn battle ground stop) then up through Idaho,Washington across the NCNP- ( RT 20 -not planning on stopping- just like the scenery). From there up to Forks Washington then down 101 through Oregon and northern California if all stays open..Camping along the way with some Hotel's in there too.:slvr11::slv13:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Hey Chris, bring them by here....free biker flop house... Wait...does that mean free biker, flop house...or...free, biker flop house...??? T

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
We planned this trip in early January of this year- before the COVID-19 outbreak. My friend and I are planning after NATSTOC on a 2-3 week trip up through Montana ( Little Big Horn battle ground stop) then up through Idaho,Washington across the NCNP- ( RT 20 -not planning on stopping- just like the scenery). From there up to Forks Washington then down 101 through Oregon and northern California if all stays open..Camping along the way with some Hotel's in there too.:slvr11::slv13:
When I went through there years ago, I stopped in a neat little town called Sandpoint, ID. If you are near there, it's a good place to stop for lunch or just a break.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
When I went through there years ago, I stopped in a neat little town called Sandpoint, ID. If you are near there, it's a good place to stop for lunch or just a break.
I've stopped for grub in Sandpoint and heartily agree, a nice spot for a break/food.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I still have NATSTOC on my calendar, 24-27 June. July is empty and boring. In August, things liven up again...hopefully. WeSTOC starts on 24 August; if it is still on, I'll be there. The Rally in the Gorge starts on 26 August and is a possibility. Then I'll go with another group on their "Ride the Ribbon" mini-rally where we have fun on the central Oregon roads.

Then the rain comes....

Chris

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
If you're looking for a nice place to stop for lunch toward the east end of Hwy 20 I recommend the Old Schoolhouse Brewery in Winthrop. They have a really nice patio overlooking the Chewuch River where my wife and I really enjoyed our lunch. Have a great ride.

Top Bottom