Route problems in Google Maps

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yeah, I do that stuff too (although not quite like you), especially looking to see if a road is paved or not. But I still use Google Maps for this, not Earth. Still trying to figure out the use for Google Earth over Google Maps.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Yeah, I do that stuff too (although not quite like you), especially looking to see if a road is paved or not. But I still use Google Maps for this, not Earth. Still trying to figure out the use for Google Earth over Google Maps.
The only real difference is GE gives you street view, and shows (a little man) when it's avilable. More useful when looking for an address.

Tom

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
GM has street view too, same little man. Also nice in GM is Terrain.

TPadden

Tom Padden
GM has street view too, same little man. Also nice in GM is Terrain.
We're really talking about Google integration of the same product. Many of the map programs/ apps I use, Ultimate Public Campground, AllStays Camp and Tent, etc only integrate with Google Map's satellite view. No matter, Google is the admitted King of Data, Long live the King. :eek:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yes we are... same data set, just used and displayed differently.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use Earth a lot of times to try to determine the condition of the road surface. Gravel vs pavement is pretty obvious. Also, I check out the neighborhood around motels with Street View to see what's around it and what kind of neighborhood. It's also helpful at Street View if you are looking for something like a historical marker or a particular building or trying to figure out the best approach or get familiar with what a particular intersection looks like.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
We're really talking about Google integration of the same product.
Yup. On the PC at least, if you use the satellite view you are really getting the visualization that used to be exclusive to Google Earth. Hit the 3D option and you ARE using Google Earth. Zoom, I seldom make that sort of usage from my phone- just too unwieldy to be worth it to me.

But I have "ridden" hundreds of miles of rural roadway from my desk, using Maps / Earth in Street View to preview routes I'm planning or contemplating. As others note it's great for checking whether a road is paved or gravel and what its overall condition might be.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I use Earth a lot of times to try to determine the condition of the road surface. Gravel vs pavement is pretty obvious. Also, I check out the neighborhood around motels with Street View to see what's around it and what kind of neighborhood. It's also helpful at Street View if you are looking for something like a historical marker or a particular building or trying to figure out the best approach or get familiar with what a particular intersection looks like.
Yep, I do the exact same, with GM.

Top Bottom