Route problems in Google Maps

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I have mixed feelings, both Google Maps and Google Earth are great products and they remain free for users. Garmin has nothing that is free and is in effect charging users for access to use Google products. Free is always good for the user but I kind of agree they should pay especially as Garmin's map products are not free, we agree it's just business. Free doesn't mean open source.

Tom
And in both cases, the product is "you". The mapping software is only an enticement for you to give up info about yourself.

Chris

TPadden

Tom Padden
I just wish Garmin would fix their voice recognition software. :(
Another area where Google excels, my phone will quickly find anything I ask it; all my GPS 's are verbally challenged.

Yeah I know, my phone is also listening to all my secrets and plans. :thumb:

Tom

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
And in both cases, the product is "you". The mapping software is only an enticement for you to give up info about yourself.

Chris
That is a much clearer and more direct statement of what I was getting at.

As with prominently branded merchandise (think Old Navy, Under Armor, Adidas, Nike...) the seller has found a way to make money or advantage on both ends of the deal.

In the apparel case, you pay the seller for the privilege of doing their advertising. In Google"s case they get website and app developers to pay them, for bringing them information they can analyze and resell to advertisers.

I wish I were half as nefarious and devious.

Don't even get me started on Alexa.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
Sure Google is a business, but it was a sad day for me when Google decided it was time to monetize access to the service itself because the information it brought them was no longer enough value on its own.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
Sure Google is a business, but it was a sad day for me when Google decided it was time to monetize access to the service itself because the information it brought them was no longer enough value on its own.
I've had Google Maps on my phone since day one but have never used it. Is it now a paid app?

And it's not like Google is going to stop mining your information nor that from Google Maps usage. I'm seeing a future where there are few 'free' apps and eventually fewer 'paid' apps. Most will be subscription based.

edit: Doesn't look like it's a paid app but as it's already on my phone no price shows. No IAPs either.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
And in both cases, the product is "you".
Hate to say it but "you" is worthless to me as a product. I'm comfortable with the fact that I can be bought and if I get something for a relatively worthless product I'm happy.

Old Navy, Under Armor, Adidas, and Nike are making nothing from me so if they are willing to pay Google to find that out, not a problem. :thumb:

You guys DO realize that is how this site is primarily financed don't you? :rofl1:

Tom

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I've had Google Maps on my phone since day one but have never used it. Is it now a paid app?

And it's not like Google is going to stop mining your information nor that from Google Maps usage. I'm seeing a future where there are few 'free' apps and eventually fewer 'paid' apps. Most will be subscription based.
I think the smart thing way to approach anything like this is to remember what they told us in Economics 101..."There's no such thing as a free lunch."

I use Google Maps, but I don't log in to create an account to track. I use Opera that includes a free VPN so my IP address is someplace else in the world. And all my browsers clear their data when I exit. They still get something to sell I'm sure, but I'm not making it easy.

As for how this site and most are financed...I use ad blocking on many. This site isn't bad with only 6 ads being blocked right now. The Accuweather website is loading 74 ads.

Chris

TPadden

Tom Padden
I think the smart thing way to approach anything like this is to remember what they told us in Economics 101..."There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Chris
We all live in a world of our own reality, plenty of free lunches in mine. As soon as someone mentions "Economics 101" in the same sentence with free lunch though, I won't buy them a drink ever again. :rolleyes:

Tom

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I'll buy you one at the Bun Cooler then. Just remember that it isn't a "free lunch". Only a "free" drink.

And actually, I get something out of you in the deal. A wonderful time riding. A wonderful time sitting around telling stories about things that I've dreamed about, but make it sound like I've actually done. :D And the more I ply you with that free drink...the more you might actually be sucker enough to believe me. ;) :D

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I faced such problems two winters ago mapping a summer Alpine ride. Google didn't take me through seasonally-closed passes. MyRoute-app, then offering a cheap lifetime deal, happily came to my rescue. Their "ignore seasonal closures" switch worked. Planning even today within MRA's 14-day trial could be cheaper. You can easily download any .gpx files and keep needed .jpg screen shots. Together with maps, both could be quite useful.

Styles

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Daboo said:
It's no secret that as I alluded previously that Google mines data whenever possible. My question was is it a PAID app.

To be clear I'm not talking about trading data tracking for use but whether or not you know have to pay money to use Google Maps as I inferred from ibike2havefun's post. I know Google shed the mantle of 'Don't be evil' almost as soon as they put it on.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
It's no secret that as I alluded previously that Google mines data whenever possible. My question was is it a PAID app.

To be clear I'm not talking about trading data tracking for use but whether or not you know have to pay money to use Google Maps as I inferred from ibike2havefun's post. I know Google shed the mantle of 'Don't be evil' almost as soon as they put it on.
From what I understand, the end user is does not have to pay to use Google maps. The API charge is levied on owners of "apps" that utilize Google maps.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Several years ago, there was a wonderful mapping tool. I think it was called WunderMap. It combined the weather along with Google Maps routing. The cool thing about it, was that it would give you the weather at the time you'd be at that point in your route. Say you left at 8am from a coastal location and your route took you over a mountain pass at about 11:45am, it would give you the temperature and other weather data for that mountain pass at 11:45 am.

I think they ran into the same issue with the Google Map API. One day I went to use it, and it was gone.

Chris

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
No, USING the Google Maps app is still free to the end user. What has changed is that Google now charges website and application developers who want to include the Google Maps functionality in their products. It does not matter whether it's a commercial, not-for-profit, or hobby site, all must pay.

If it stopped there I would have no issue. But since the underlying purpose of Google Maps is, as has been pointed out, to act as bait to bring more of your information to Google, so they can turn it around and convert it to a salable product, I rather object to their charging website and apps for the privilege of supplying that information.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Several years ago, there was a wonderful mapping tool. I think it was called WunderMap. It combined the weather along with Google Maps routing. The cool thing about it, was that it would give you the weather at the time you'd be at that point in your route. Say you left at 8am from a coastal location and your route took you over a mountain pass at about 11:45am, it would give you the temperature and other weather data for that mountain pass at 11:45 am.

I think they ran into the same issue with the Google Map API. One day I went to use it, and it was gone.

Chris
Not sure whether it's the same thing, but the WUndergorund weather website includes a feature they call "WUnderMap". If it ever had the predictive feature you describe (weather along a user-defined travel route), it's no longer available. And their basemap is OpenStreetMap; I don't remember whether it was ever Google Maps.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The inRoute app provides weather along a custom route in graph form, with time or miles on the x-axis. It also gives you Elevation and Curviness. I usually setup my general route in it a week or so beforehand, setting my departure date/time. I check it a day or two before and then again right when I leave to get the most accurate info, updating the departure time as necessary. It will also do navigation (for a fee), but I just use it for this one purpose... weather along my route. It's only as good as any weather forecast, but gives me a good idea on what gear to wear, especially spring/fall when the temps can change dramatically... pretty much helps me decide electrics or not, summer or winter gear, rain suit on or not.

And, FWIW, Google maps is way more than just navigation. It's great to search tool to get location, info and reviews on places, plus street view to see what things actually look like. It's probably the most used app on my phone.

TPadden

Tom Padden
And, FWIW, Google maps is way more than just navigation. It's great to search tool to get location, info and reviews on places, plus street view to see what things actually look like. It's probably the most used app on my phone.
And FWIW nothing can touch Google Earth, amazing that it is also free to users, just have to put on your big boy foil hat. :thumb:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
And FWIW nothing can touch Google Earth, amazing that it is also free to users, just have to put on your big boy foil hat. :thumb:
Curious, outside of just looking around for general interest, what do use Earth for? What can you get from it that you can't get from Maps?

I've always like Google Earth, but it's really been nothing more than a toy to me. What am I missing?

TPadden

Tom Padden
Curious, outside of just looking around for general interest, what do use Earth for? What can you get from it that you can't get from Maps?

I've always like Google Earth, but it's really been nothing more than a toy to me. What am I missing?
Most mapping satellite view and anything that gives street view is provided by Google, as a camper who shows up mostly tired after dark in a remote area, I find it invaluable. Even with accurate waypoint prior to using Google Earth I have wandered around dirt roads and even populated paved areas riding past and around my destination. I find it particularly helpful when looking for a stealth campsite, again after dark, when I'm tired, at a gas stop,

Tom

Top Bottom