Route suggestions in FL - Headed to the Keys

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I am headed to the Keys in July and I know FL is not known for great motorcycle routes. I will be coming from NC and going down I95 to the Keys. On the way back up and through the panhandle I am looking for suggestions. I don't want to spend all day sitting in traffic at stoplights but I also don't want to just burn up a turnpike either.
Looking for suggestions from Keys to Pensacola

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I have ridden from north Alabama to Panama City Beach to Titusville a few times. For the most part, PCB->Titusville is a pretty boring ride on US 98, but there are a couple of pleasant stretches.

FL-267 from FL-20 to Newport, through the Apalachicola National Forest, is VERY nice. Light traffic & lots of shade. It's only 30 miles long, but definitely the nicest part of my route.

FL-19 & FL-40 between Altoona & Silver Springs is also a pretty nice stretch through the Ocala National Forest. Not shady like 267, but a nice respite from typical heavy traffic in the Orlando area.

FL-81 between Bruce and the Alabama line is also pretty nice.

That's all I got. Safe travels.

I recently rode from north of Charlotte area to savannah last month. If you get off on SC 267 and follow it to 15 I believe it was, you can run nice country roads with creeks beside them and little if any traffic. 15 basically mirrors 95 so fuel isn't an issue or places to stop for food. When I get home i can share the map I used since I did it all without GPS.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
When you are in Key West, take a day to visit the Dry Tortuga NP

I'd avoid I-95 myself south of Palm Bay. If you cross over to 27 and go south around Lake Okeechobee and then after 595 crossover watch for signs to the Keys (Krome Ave.) and enjoy a less stressful ride than 95. My 2 cents.....

Top Bottom