RT vs K1300GT

I've considered which other bikes I would get should I ever trade the ST. I'm not unhappy with the ST, but I put myself through this exercise periodically. My three choices would be the (not in any order) 2010 Connie, or the BMW K1300GT (or even a 1200), or an RT1200.

I am specifically intrigued on what sways someone to get an RT1200 over the K1300GT or vice versa. Can current or former owners shed some light on why they would choose one over the other, what the pros and cons of each are in relation to the other?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Never had either...... 2 or 3 years ago, a K13 owner told me oil changes were a couple of hours because of no access to the engine without taking plastic off and breaking fasteners, etc., over $200 at the dealer. Odd thing was, the filter was sitting out very accessible.
I would think the R12 would be easier maintenance, but less power, more vibes.

If it were me, why get a second sport tourer. Why not a different type of ride?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If it were me, why get a second sport tourer. Why not a different type of ride?
Stellar advice! I picked up a Versys to have a bantam weight bike. It's a very different riding experience from the ST. Both serve their intended purpose very well.

I recently read a RT vs GT column on BMW owner's site in the UK. The writer's assessment was that both bikes were built for long distance but the RT wanted to coddle its rider whereas the GT wanted to thrill its rider. RT is fast enough to get your bike towed away, the GT is fast enough to get your bike towed away and you hauled off in a police car...dealing with matters of degree.

OP
OP
blueisbeST04
I wouldn't want a second Sport Tourer, but this is in consideration of a different sport tourer. I also have a cruiser, and have no interest in a sport bike, as I don't fit on most of them too well at 6'3", and am trying to think better than to go as fast as I know I would want to on one.:D

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The K13 will leave the C14 as every gear is changed... longer gearing... it's a beast ;) But, you can play with the fuel mapping, exhaust, and other goodies on the C14 if you want... no CANBUS to worry about... and pocket the $6K for farkles ;) I won't go into the warranty, it's like the ST's, unlike the BMW. The C14 put's a smile on my face... get's you there quick... 140hp/90ft lb of torque just throwing on a new pipe ;)

Bike
2015 FJR1300
I considered the ST, the 1300GT and the 1200RT when I purchased last year. I was absolutely sold on the GT until I sat on one, didn't even bother riding it. Just wasn't comfortable for me. (6', 180lbs, 34" inseam)

I loved everything about the ST except the weight which was what I was trying to reduce, coming from a Goldwing. I'll own one some day, perhaps when they bring back the fast blue ones.

The RT felt good when I was sitting on it, but I wasn't sure about the engine and the vibrations. After 3 test rides, I "hesitantly" bought a RT. It took awhile but, I love this bike. Light weight, great handling, creature comforts galore. I've had it a year, 20,000 miles, and have become quite fond of even the motor.

Bike
07 ST1300A
My experiences are similar. I'm 6'1" and the GT did not feel comfortable. The ST fit me like an old glove. Never had the chance to try an RT

OP
OP
blueisbeST04
I considered the ST, the 1300GT and the 1200RT when I purchased last year. I was absolutely sold on the GT until I sat on one, didn't even bother riding it. Just wasn't comfortable for me. (6', 180lbs, 34" inseam)

I loved everything about the ST except the weight which was what I was trying to reduce, coming from a Goldwing. I'll own one some day, perhaps when they bring back the fast blue ones.

The RT felt good when I was sitting on it, but I wasn't sure about the engine and the vibrations. After 3 test rides, I "hesitantly" bought a RT. It took awhile but, I love this bike. Light weight, great handling, creature comforts galore. I've had it a year, 20,000 miles, and have become quite fond of even the motor.
Was here anything that "sold" you on the RT as far as it being air cooled vs. liquid cooled, other than weight, or was it purely an ergonomics issue?

Bike
2015 FJR1300
Was here anything that "sold" you on the RT as far as it being air cooled vs. liquid cooled, other than weight, or was it purely an ergonomics issue?
That's a good question, I tried to talk myself out of buying one for about 6 months. I went through the whole cost thing, maintenance, lack of dealers, final drive, etc, etc, etc. When it came right down to it, it was much more nimble than my Wing, well designed, manages the wind and engine heat better than anything I've ever ridden and it's comfy.

As far as air cooled vs water cooled. I think there are trade offs to both, weight, heat, power, etc. I've told my buddy who rides a ST, the perfect bike would have his ST motor installed in my RT with no additional weight or engine heat. I hope Honda creates this dream bike about the time I'm ready to switch.

Bike
08 ST1300A
I can give you quick opinion regarding the K1200GT -v- R1200RT. I have put about 60,000 k's on both machines.

I would place the K firmly in the sport touring bracket. A lot of grunt, good handler at high speed but it wasn't as comfortable as the RT. The fairing wasn't as protective as the RT's either, it liked to chew fuel and it had an annoyingly large turning circle. It also lacked cornering clearance. Overall, depending on your style of riding it was a lot of fun to ride hard.

On the other hand the I would rate the RT as being the bike more suited to long distance hauling. This bike handles very competently at all speeds. The ride is plush and the fairing very protective. It was a great cold weather bike.......a very comfortable steed indeed. However, I found the boxer engine less than exhilarating......it was just too under powered. I felt it really let the bike down and made the bike feel really bland. Maybe that issue has been addressed with the 2010 model.

Personally, I wouldn't own a BMW after some of the reliability issues I suffered with the RT. Down here BMW's after sales service is tragic.

OP
OP
blueisbeST04
Thanks for that info. That is the one fear of the RT, of being underwhelmed by the engine. I am at the age where I don't feel the need to go super fast (or at least finally wise enough not to), so while the speed and power of the KGT is appealing, it's not imperative, but I don't want to hit the other side of the spectrum either.

I have a friend with an RT1150, and while the speed is not an issue (he gets through the twisties really fast), when I've ridden the bike, it's kind of a "this is my grandfather's Buick" experience. Frankly, it felt almost scooterish. However, the ergonomics are fantastic. His bike is an 2002, so maybe the RT has come a ways since then. I guess I need to decide which element is more important to me.

With the RT, was there a positive trade off not having the cooling system to deal with, even though it appears you had some maintenance issues?

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
, the ergonomics are fantastic. His bike is an 2002, so maybe the RT has come a ways since then.
I suggest skipping the 1100 series RT altogether. The 1200s are a significant upgrade. Better transmission, motor, and all around package. How many touring bikes come with fuel tanks with tank bang rails? Still has the the nice ergos of the 1100s so there is no downside.

This time of year I appreciate the RTs cool running motor. It has no radiate heat problem. The RTwill never be a ST, but that is the point, something different, and the reason I own both.

No expert here, friend had a GT and I think to do a lot of the work on it, you have to take a lot of the engine apart to get to it. Whereas the RT has twin boxers, making the valve adjustment a breeze, and I think a lot of the other work as well.

Bike
08 ST1300A
With the RT, was there a positive trade off not having the cooling system to deal with, even though it appears you had some maintenance issues?
Air/oil cooling is very effective on the RT. The summers down this way get pretty warm and the bike would only get hot if you were stuck in slow moving traffic for lengthy periods of time. One other advantage of the RT over the ST & FJR is that they don't produce any engine heat around the riders legs. As far as maintenance is concerned I didn't do that myself but I could imagine not having to drop out coolants etc is one less thing to worry about for a DIY mechanic.

Yep....we had a lot of issues with the R1200RTP from dropped exhaust valves to final drive failure. The problems we had didn't seem to be as common in the civilian version though. The experience we had sourcing parts through BMW was very frustrating. It was not unusual to be waiting up to 6 weeks for major components. The back up service in the USA may be different.

If your looking to buy a used machine I would also consider a late model R1150RT. IMHO they seemed more reliable. Hope this helps.

As far as KGT vs. RT, here is my take.

Obviously, the KGT is faster, and frankly, that's the only advantage it has over the RT.

The RT is lighter, and handles better (especially in the tight stuff). It has better comfort, and wind protection, and offers more creature comforts like a radio.

hmmm ... having just gone through this and bought an ST1300, here are some thoughts -

BMW is sometimes too high tech for their own good, I have grown suspicious of a bike where I cannot really touch anything either because of fear or technology ... strange eh ? .... like the new VFR1200.

The RT people are a bit different, they enjoy the light weight - usually 100 lbs less than other bikes - and nimble handling of their bikes. While this is true, you cannot get away from the fact the boxers do shake, even the latest ones. And mtce. is more than Honda, but less than say Ducati ;)

Know nothing about the K13 .... but the K12 is a great bike, and a used one costs more than a discounted brand new ST1300 .... :)

ps: Rider just did a new comparo - C14, FJR, Triumph ST and .... VFR1200 !
Actually, the RT's do not require anymore maintenance than my ST did. The DOHC boxrs use shim and bucket valves. No more valave adjustments every 6k, which honestly, were not costly to do, or very complicated for the average owner.

As for the declaration that the boxer "shakes". That's very misleading. As with any twin, the engine will produce some vibration. However, there isn't a smoother running twin than the boxer. It's actually quite smooth.

I run mine at 80-90mph and have no complaints.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
As for the declaration that the boxer "shakes". That's very misleading. As with any twin, the engine will produce some vibration. However, there isn't a smoother running twin than the boxer. It's actually quite smooth.

I run mine at 80-90mph and have no complaints.
That boxer motor is precisely what has kept me from owning an RT. I haven't ridden one of the 2010 versions, but it's hard to believe the changes would alter the fundamental characteristics of a large displacement flat twin. I'd wager the twin in my Versys is smoother.

But that's my $.02...ride what you like.

That boxer motor is precisely what has kept me from owning an RT. I haven't ridden one of the 2010 versions, but it's hard to believe the changes would alter the fundamental characteristics of a large displacement flat twin. I'd wager the twin in my Versys is smoother.

But that's my $.02...ride what you like.

Speculative opinions are just that. It's the smoothest twin I've ridden, I'll leave it at that.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Speculative opinions are just that. It's the smoothest twin I've ridden, I'll leave it at that.
Nothing I've read says the 2010 makes a miraculous improvement in smoothness but I've not ridden one. I have ridden 3 boxers (2 1150's and 1 1200) and my Versys is smoother. That's not speculation.

Nothing I've read says the 2010 makes a miraculous improvement in smoothness but I've not ridden one. I have ridden 3 boxers (2 1150's and 1 1200) and my Versys is smoother. That's not speculation.
I respectfully disagree. Then again, I can't imagine spending 14 hours in the saddle cranking out interstate at 80-90mph on a Versys.

Top Bottom