Rube Goldberg Top Box Lights

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
For those of you not familiar with Rube's work, here is an example.

1698214262434.png

It is used to define a very complicated solution to a simple task. In my case, top box brake light and turn signals. I acquired an OEM spoiler with rear brake light and wanted to add turn signal function. I went over to Oznium.com purchased some switchback red amber bolts and the controllers.

IMG_5620.jpeg

I have the Admore harness for a Givi box and hoped to use the connection on the bike side, purchased a second box side connector and went to cobbling. The above photo shows the switch back driver, two needed, one per side. I missed this when I purchased. :rolleyes: Not to mention needing another trunk to house all this. I did bench test and all worked as expected. In looking for a connector to attach everything in the box I found the Dupont mini connectors to go to the Admore cable. I thought I maybe able to use their controller.

IMG_5621.jpeg

It does in fact work for the tail and brake light function, but not the winker. Reading the Admore directions, hooking up the power to a switched 12v maybe a solution. It is currently on the light circuit, more to follow.

The top box had a rack on it that would not fit with the spoiler. That left me with some holes to fill as well as my desire to color match all to my bike. Since I had to patch some holes I figured I could drill more for the bolt lights. I have not done the new holes yet. Currently sanding and planning.

I thought I would post this in hopes of some other options to control, or someone else's experience in over engineering. I really like the Oznium bolts and the fit and finish should give it an OEM look. Adding the spoiler light of course will make this a bit more difficult and I may have to watch wattage/amps, 2.4w for the spoiler, 1w per bolt, 6 total for the switch backs. As an aside the spoiler light is still available and comes in red, clear or smoke lens.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The only suggestion I have is to locate the components where you need them and trim the excess wire to fit, allowing for reasonable movement, before doing any terminations. History says bundled up excess wire will eventually find its way out of the securing tie.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Can't wait to see what you final product looks like. The Admore lights are ok-ish during the day, depending on sunlight, but nice at night... curious to see if the bolt lights are brighter during the day.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
So you are trying to put switchback lights on the top box that do running, brake and direction signal?

And it currently works for running and brake, but not turns?

I may have some options for you Ruth. :)

As for the switchback controller, if I had one to disassemble, my bet is it's basically a relay and capacitor with a resistor inside. When the input turn signal side gets power it shuts off the running light output side. When the turn signal is shut off, the capacitor drains quickly, the relay untriggers and returns the power to the running light output side.

As for the dual intensity controller, it's likely a resistor and diode. (I know it's says it's a PWM controller... same digital idea)

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't think it will work. There seems to be some practical errors in my humble opinion. Why overthink where KISS can triumph? Can you explain a few things for me?

Does the alarm clock bell ring constantly or only at 4 o'clock.
How can that small chain hold a tub of water?
The duck does not appear to be needed at all.
And that poor puppy, that's near abuse....

Reactions: Obo

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't think it will work. There seems to be some practical errors in my humble opinion. Why overthink where KISS can triumph? Can you explain a few things for me?

And the shoe laces are untied...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Will, it is a bit late, but those lights look like they will take up a lot of space inside your top box. There are plenty of other options out there. I used these strips. Turn signals are yellow and the brakes are red. I put one strip on each side case on the back. The harness simply taps into the existing brake and indicator wires. So much for Occam's razor.

admore LED1614-s-ts
Light bars: https://admorelighting.com/product/replacement-led1614ry-led-array/
Wiring kit: https://admorelighting.com/?s=admore+LED1614-s-ts

I think the duck is used as a level gauge and the puppy appears to be smiling, so it appears that it is happy getting exercise while allowing owner to sit on couch and drink beer. After stress testing the links of comparable chain links using a US standard Link testing machine the chain would be capable of holding the bathtub. But it does not seem like the water would stay inside if hanging. Someone needs to go back to the drawing board because there doesn't seem to be any way for the liquid to get to the top and into the cups.
What are the cups on tread mill for? I case the puppy has to pee? Clearly a trip hazard!

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
So you are trying to put switchback lights on the top box that do running, brake and direction signal?

And it currently works for running and brake, but not turns?

I may have some options for you Ruth. :)

As for the switchback controller, if I had one to disassemble, my bet is it's basically a relay and capacitor with a resistor inside. When the input turn signal side gets power it shuts off the running light output side. When the turn signal is shut off, the capacitor drains quickly, the relay untriggers and returns the power to the running light output side.

As for the dual intensity controller, it's likely a resistor and diode. (I know it's says it's a PWM controller... same digital idea)
I took apart the case for the switch back and it is about the size of the brake/tail driver, just potted... I can remove it from the case, but it's just an epoxy blob. There are dip switches on the Admore controller, thinking about playing with them. I'm guessing neither manufacture would want to help in this scenario. I don't know what Oznium is doing in their lights, also potted.

I'm thinking the Admore has one voltage line and a relay or similar and Oz is using two voltage lines with a switch in the controller, or I'm just making stuff up, because they sound the same to me. :shrug2:
Nothing like trying to put a triangle in a round hole.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles

I have no words, except it's a dog and is happy because it's running.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Will, it is a bit late, but those lights look like they will take up a lot of space inside your top box. There are plenty of other options out there. I used these strips. Turn signals are yellow and the brakes are red. I put one strip on each side case on the back. The harness simply taps into the existing brake and indicator wires. So much for Occam's razor.

admore LED1614-s-ts
Light bars: https://admorelighting.com/product/replacement-led1614ry-led-array/
Wiring kit: https://admorelighting.com/?s=admore+LED1614-s-ts
I have a few switch back strips I laid up, I wasn't happy with the look, these bolts would be better on the black trunk for sure, but they only protrude a few mm inside. I have a few extra Oz's laying around and checked before I purchased, just didn't account for the size of the controls. I was even still looking at the Admore this morning for ease of use.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Can't wait to see what you final product looks like. The Admore lights are ok-ish during the day, depending on sunlight, but nice at night... curious to see if the bolt lights are brighter during the day.
I'm thinking it will be similar to the Admore, unless you look directly at them. I'll try to test it this afternoon with sun shining on them. The spoiler light is bright, but is currently only a brake light. I can probably use either controller to have the tail/brake function. Funny enough I was really doing all this for a higher turn signal.

IMG_5654.jpegIMG_5653.jpegIMG_5649.jpeg

Top Bottom