Saddlebag question

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Originally on one of the bags of my 1994, I noticed that I have to lift the outer half of the bag (painted portion) and then close it and latch it. My 2000 never had this problem until just recently. It’s not a function of something internal in the bag getting caught between the outer and inner halves of the saddle bag (like the elasticized strap) but more like it fails to close properly unless I lift the outer half of the bag at the rear of it and then close it. I looked at the hardware of the bag, and attempted to tighten the small hex nuts but it made no difference. Has anybody experienced this and does anybody have a definitive fix for it?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
That's a new one. I have a 1991 and mine work just fine. The only thing that comes to mind is missing hardware. I would compare the lock assembly hardware installed on the inside of the bag with the parts explosion. If anything between parts 10 and 44 that is loose, worn, missing or replaced with a not-so-suitable substitute may be your problem. Also examine your hinge hardware for the same.
1619278000594.png

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
.... it fails to close properly unless I lift the outer half of the bag at the rear of it...
Hmm... I'm doing this by default on all my ST's...
Possible that the hinges on the bottom have seen some weather/road spray hence wear...
I use to increase the sealing by adjusting the lid closer to the body within the given clearance of the M5 bolts on the hinges and buckles... going too close on the hinges and the lid will rub on the recess for the seal -> needs to be lifted upward to close without crackle...

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I have had this happen often when the liner bag I use is full and requires tucking in around the edges. No issue when the pannier is empty. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I believe that weight in the inner half slightly deforms the bottom, lowering the hinge and cover relative to the top lip.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I too encountered this when I packed the side cases too full. I think it is caused by the flexibility of the plastic and weight on the hinged cover. It was not an issue for an unweighted cover. I agree with @Bush...its not an issue unless there is misalignment when the bags are empty.

@Larry Fine, you beat me to it by seconds.

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Ok, thanks very much. I was even considering replacing the hinges but you can’t on the saddlebags because they are riveted on. The only piece available in the hinge area is the cover once the screw threads come through on the inside of the bag and the acorn nuts to tighten the hinge in place

Last edited:
The left saddlebag on my bike has become untrustworthy because on occasion I can not get it to latch. The hinges are "loosy" and so is the lock. I've been searching the forum for a rebuild recipe. No luck so far. Does anyone have a lead? Thanks

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Worth a look inside to make sure all the hardware is still snug. I've had nuts and screws work their way loose. A quick snugging down and all was well again.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok, thanks very much. I was even considering replacing the hinges but you can’t on the saddlebags because they are riveted on. The only piece available in the hinge area is the cover once the screw threads come through on the inside of the bag and the acorn nuts to tighten the hinge in place
Well, you could if you drilled out the rivets and replaced them with small nuts and bolts. ;)
Mine all seem to do that over time as a result of overloading the bag and wear.

Today was the day which I had designated for the saddlebag rehab. I cleared a space and brought in the offending bag.
Then, as is my occasional practice, I asked myself "What is the most embarrassing result that could happen?" WrotRo....
So I shot a little WD-40 into each side of the latch catches. Wiggled the handle and the internal springs took over and all was fixed.
So easy, I did the the other side, preemptively.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
I have a 93 and I too have this problem. Empty or full. More times when full. It's annoying. I just figured hinges are worn. I'll have to look and see if anything a missing.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Ok I can at least answer why it's happening. I believe the plastic has fatigued and the bottom of the bag is sagging. I took my left bag off and started trying to get it to do that. Here is what I found. There is a lip on the outer part of the bag on the bottom that slips into a grove with a gasket. Please see attached pics. Anyways it's catching on that lip and binding. When you lift the outer portion of the bag you get the alignment right hence it goes in normal. How to fix it? Add a thin steal or alum strip to give it rigidity again? I have the same issue so I'll let you know what I come up with.

Attachments

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
I have this problem as well. Both sides, and it doesn't matter if they are loaded or not. BUT!!! I have a story...

Last year, I was riding with my girlfriend on the back. We met up at a popular restaurant out in the country surrounded by woods. Not much for lighting in the parking lot either. Anywho, we get done with the ride, go in and get some dinner, as we are leaving, she gets her personal items out of the right side bag, and gets into her car. We say goodnight, and she leaves. My bike is out on the outer edge of the parking lot. I get on my bike, ride through the country roads, then get on the highway doing roughly 80mph on average (in the dark, with no moonlight) for about an hour. I get home, only to realize that she didn't close the right side bag. I never noticed anything when riding, and the bag still works as it did before. So, bag testing done ha ha!! now I constantly check them.:oops:

BTW, I'm going to inspect the rivets and see if anything is loose. I looked briefly into this but it hasn't been enough of a problem to really fix it yet. But my first thought was a button head cap screw/washers to tighten it up (if it's actually loose that is) after drilling out and removing the rivets. If it's misaligned, I may only put washers on the outside cover to raise it up for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom