Sciatica

Bike
Scarlett
STOC #
Does anyone have any experience with Sciatica? I did a search and it mostly led to bits and pieces of back surgery threads. I just wanted to get some input on how one gets sciatica, and things to do to that can help treat it and prevent it. My wife just developed it, and it breaks my heart to see her in pain. We are awaiting the call from the physical therapists for an appt, but wondering if there is something she or I can do to help in the meantime?

Thanks,

Andy

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Sciatica is buttock and leg pain coming from the sciatic nerve, often with a very burning character. The sciatic nerve gets fired up and you feel like you have a hot poker stuck in the dimple of your butt and possibly radiating down your leg. OUCH!!

One of my most vivid memories from gross human anatomy dissection lab is that your sciatic nerve is about the size of your thumb!

crinteastwood

Flatlands of Canada
STOC #
Thanks to my massage therapist for bringing me from barely walking to leaving her place standing erect and able to move. Also, a tip that she gave me and I still do to this day - get that wallet out of your back pocket - it was causing pressure on the nerve - no more repeats since about 4 years ago now. The pain is like drmedak says - almost unbearable.
Mick

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
+1 on no wallet when sitting.... And stretching...keeping everything aligned back there. Have you seen a chiropractor yet?

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Sciatic pain is caused as a result of the tendons that hold the two vertabrae together being stretched. This allows the vertabrae to smack into the disk and causes it to bulge out of its normal habitat into the sciatic nerve. Current studies indicate that it will either get better or it will not, no matter what course of action is taken. Find a really good neurosurgeon who does micro-laser surgery. I had mine repaired 12 years ago after having excruciating pain down my butt into the calf and foot. The pain was immediately relieved and no problems since. Good luck!! Only those who have had a bad back understand how the pain is constantly with you.

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
I also have sciatic pain, but only last usually a few weeks.

Man when it flares up, it is agony. I have to drag my left leg, and can barely walk sometimes. Getting in and out of a car, or straddling a motorcycle is rough.

Thank goodness it is not permanent for me at this time. My chiropractor has been able to get me over the hump each time so far. Hoping that continues to be the case.

Good luck to your wife. I hope eveything works out OK.

Definitely would recommend you see a chiropractor. I practice in Napa, so that's a bit of a drive from Pinole. I looked up the chiropractors in your area, but didn't recognize any names.

OP
OP
GXXRDRVR
Bike
Scarlett
STOC #
Thanks everyone for your replies!
Tankereng: what stretching exercises helped your sciatica?
Meltz: I will check into a chiropractor. Just have to wade through the red tape BS with my health provider.
drmedak: Thank you for your offline assistance!

I will keep you all posted here on what happens.

Thanks again!

Andy

Top Bottom