Scratched luggage, any fixes?

Well I finally scratched the ST bag and am wondering if anyone knows how to 'buff' it out. Ignore the dot, it's a license plate from the bike next to this one.

scratch.jpg

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
One thing to consider, I guess is to use a chip repair kit like Dr. Colorchip. You apply the paint then use a special solution that they sell to fill in only the scrape so there’s no blobs or runs. The best would be a repaint, but then that’s more money. I personally would see if you can buy a paint pen (almost like a felt tip marker). A brush will glob the paint on vs a pen where you have a bit more control over the paint. You might be very successful with a pen if you’re meticulous.

automotivetouchup.com makes the pens. I have a chip on my mirror cover so I have to get one as well.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
That one looks like it is down to the primer and likely won't buff out. Try ColorRite.com for some ideas. I bought a repair kit from them in the past and the color was pretty close to spot on.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'd think not a lot you can do. In my experience, using touch up paint makes the scratch more obvious. There must be a technique that I don't know to apply it neatly. I've never seen a color-rite pen. That sounds like it would do a better job in my unskilled hands.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Don't worry about it.
It's a sign your bike is used for it's intended purpose. Not a garage/trailer queen.
Street cred.
A badge of honor.
Road tattoo.
:cool:

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Get some polishing compound, NOT rubbing compound, and follow the instructions on the container. Gently polish parallel to the scratch ( if doing it by hand) and check your progress frequently by wiping off the compound and seeing if you're improving the appearance. You may make the scratch less visible but you will always know it's there. If this doesn't work then the advice above on the respray touch up paint would be the next option.

Bike
VStrom 650
It looks too deep to buff my friend.
Look at the piccy, I'm sure they sell this sort of stuff Stateside. These are bumper end protectors.
Upt'North. 20210527_155010.jpg

Top Bottom