Screws torque for side panel

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Hi everyone,

As a new rider/mechanic, I managed to replace relays, and install a battery tender cable. Nothing complicated, but a start for a new guy. None of this was done on my 1993 st1100, but another bike I own.
I'm studying the factory service manual now on how to remove the side panel. In part I want to practice this, and I think it might be necessary to remove the right side panel to access the coolant reservoir. The manual indicates there are couple of screws. There is also a torque table at the beginning of the manual indicating the torque for 5mm and 6mm screws. In the section of the panel removal it does not indicate the size of the screws to remove. In this case, am I to assume that when I put the panel back I can tighten it with no worries, or do I need to measure the screws and torque accordingly? I noticed in the manual that basically it indicates the size and torque of various elements, so I assume since this side panel has nothing to do with moving parts (or does it?) and not listing the size of the screws, that I'm just ok tightening without torque?

Thanks for reading a newbie's post.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Basically, like two fingers, especially the black M5 with JIS cross-head...
However, some sitting in speednuts, clipped into plastic... don't cross-thread those, don't force them, or risk braking the taps of (expensive) fairing parts...
I'd also give the threads a slight smear with copper paste or anti seize...

Bike
R1200rt
quite an assortment of screws there, don't mix them up just beware. Just tighten them as yoou would any screw with a screwdriver handle not an adapter with a ratchet.

Bike
2005 ST-1300
I did not know there was a torque for those, I just tighten until if feels right. I never had one back out or get stuck for next time.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I did not know there was a torque for those, I just tighten until if feels right. I never had one back out or get stuck for next time.
From what I can tell, some screws the manual will indicate to torque them, but nothing is indicated on these 2 screws. That said, if there is a way to tell their size, they should be torqued if the size is indicated in the torque table? I have no problem tightening by hand (no torque) this kind of pieces, while definitely follow torque specification for more engine-related items, and alike.
Thanks.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
quite an assortment of screws there, don't mix them up just beware. Just tighten them as yoou would any screw with a screwdriver handle not an adapter with a ratchet.
Yup -before I do ANYTHING, I'm accustomed to read and read and read until it made sense and can follow.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Yup, no specific torque value- just a little twist and don’t overtighten. My brother taught me a little trick when it comes to tightening screws, especially into plastic- since there’s a lot of heat and cold cycles (from the heat of the bike itself as well as weather), never overtighten, just enough to keep it snug, otherwise you risk breaking plastics because of the heat and cold cycles. Torque values are very important on engine, transmission, and suspension work, relatively less important for everything else, like bodywork.

Bike
VStrom 650
Snug is good. No more needed on panel fasteners. Anti seize will be your friend at a later date.
Be especially careful when removing plastics in a cold workshop, they can break lugs real quick.
Upt.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
One more thing…when replacing the side panels (the long ones that cover the battery on the left and the rear brake MC on the right, I found it always a good idea to use some silicone spray on the rubber grommets as it makes it much easier to re-install (as well as remove the next time) the small plastic ’pins’ that hold the panel in place - otherwise, too much force can break them off.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Modified to hide the fact that I thought we were talking about the 1300. (ie I didn't check !)

The fairing screws always seem to be harder to remove than to fasten.

Take a look at my linked document below. The last two pages show photos, part numbers and description of each of the screws, and where they fit. Don't assume that the screw that you remove was put in its correct place by the last person who fastened it all up. Check out what goes where and why.

The fairing will not crack if the correct screw is used - the screw will tighten against the end of the shoulder before the head puts any pressure on the plastic.

There are some slight variations in the screws that are used for different models, but not many. One bit of advice - if the hex socket head looks the corners are loosing their shape, then throw it away and fit a new one. Once they get like that, they can be difficult to remove. I always have a few spares on hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650

Take a look at my linked document below. The last two pages show photos, part numbers and description of each of the screws, and where they fit. Don't assume that the screw that you remove was put in its correct place by the last person who fastened it all up. Check out what goes where and why.

The fairing will not crack if the correct screw is used - the screw will tighten against the end of the shoulder before the head puts any pressure on the plastic.

There are some slight variations in the screws that are used for different models, but not many. One bit of advice - if the hex socket head looks the corners are loosing their shape, then throw it away and fit a new one. Once they get like that, they can be difficult to remove. I always have a few spares on hand.

Thanks! This is great info.

Bike
R1200rt

1100's are different

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

I always check the alignment of the holes through the panels where the shouldered screws go. Misalignment can cause the shoulder lip to catch on the plastic and cause a chip or crack, especially if your bike has been tweaked even a little bit.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oh tish - have I done the 1300 for 1100 hundred error again ?

Thanks! This is great info.
No - its useless - sorry about that - I know the 1100 is very different. I owned two of them. That document that I posted is completely useless in this thread. I'll lose it. Unfortunately, I didn't do a similar one for the 1100.

Top Bottom