Scuff Marks on (Saddlebags) Panniers

Bike
91 Honda ST1100
Greetings all,
Well, that time of year again. About to pull the tarp off my rig and prep it for summer riding. I put a couple of scuff marks on my saddlebags when I dropped him during my "get to know my bike" period just after purchase. My bike is grey in color. I had a bit of success using WD40 and a bit of elbow grease, baring in mid that this works on tar and grime build up (works really well on automobile body parts). The few test spots on my bag worked well, but took more elbow grease. I welcome input and suggestions.

On another from my ignition key doesn't open my saddle bag, but does work for the locks on the body of my rig. I welcome any input on how to deal with this issue, or when I cam buy a new set of locks. I prefer a complete set of locks with a single key, but am open to options.

Thx all in advance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You need to carefully examine those scuff marks. If they are on the surface, I'd try a polishing compound first and move on to more aggressive compounds like the Meguires shown above. The 'pro' series of Meguires cleaners, polishes, and compounds have a scale on one side showing the abrasiveness of that particular formulation. Polishing mixes are the least abrasive, and cleaners tend to remove dirt and oxides chemically.

If the scuffs damage the surface, you might need a more abrasive compound. You can look for the 800 number on any of Meguire's products - they have a customer service line that helps folks with choosing which of their products will do the best job. I've called them a couple of times. As will all such 'help' lines, some of the people there are very knowledgeable and helpful, and some are less so and more product sales oriented.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Novus #2 has a mild abrasive, and with elbow grease, will restore scuffs and remove boot material. If that doesn't do it, then you need more aggressive abrasive like Novus $3 or perhaps some of the Meguires products....

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
If the scuffs and fading are on the black plastic parts at the bottom of the saddlebags, consider just covering those parts with 3M black reflective film. It's inexpensive and easy to do. See this post for details: Applying Reflective Film to Faded or Scuffed Plastic.

Best of all, if the bike tips over in the future, you just need to sand the scuffs smooth and re-apply new film.

Michael

OP
OP
Rogue_Bolo
Bike
91 Honda ST1100
Thx all for your input. Weather in Chi-raque sucks big time, with only sporadic periods of decent days. I am still waiting for consistent days of warmth (≥60°F). When that happen I plan to take a day or two to go all out in prepping and repairs for the summer months. I will definitely take your suggestions to heart all. Along with the scuff marks on the hard bags, I still have to contend with overheating (probably the thermostat as I have already change the coolant recently for this past winter), as well as a minor fuel leak, and oil and filter change. I already bought a nice open face Sedici carbon fiber helmet and can't wait for my first ride/tour.

One a sidenote all:
I just thought about the scuff marks on my bag. Funny thing, the marks are actually on top of my bags. :think1:P_20220426_145825.jpg

Bike
2007 ST1300
You need to carefully examine those scuff marks. If they are on the surface,

I put a couple of scuff marks on my saddlebags when I dropped him during my "get to know my bike" period just after purchase.

:eek: Unless yours looks like this -- I wouldn't worry too much..This sidecase came off the bike ( from not being latched properly :doh1:) at about 65 mph , luckily my buddy on his goldwing was about a mile behind me and saw it tumbling down the road.. He was able to pull over and get it for me. Oh yes is was packed full of camping gear at the time.
A few good stickers placed strategically and all is good.. :rofl1:

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue_Bolo
Bike
91 Honda ST1100
:eek: Unless yours looks like this -- I wouldn't worry too much..This sidecase came off the bike ( from not being latched properly :doh1:) at about 65 mph , luckily my buddy on his goldwing was about a mile behind me and saw it tumbling down the road.. He was able to pull over and get it for me. Oh yes is was packed full of camping gear at the time.
A few good stickers placed strategically and all is good.. :rofl1:
Wow... My bags suffered nothing of that caliber. my bags just suffered a drop standing still. best I can describe is that my bags just has light scuff marks by comparison. Technically, I could rub the marks off, but would take a "lot" of elbow grease. are dropped bags during movement a known and common issue with these rigs?

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
They only come off when operator doesn't verify that they are hooked on the mount correctly. Or forgets to lock the latch... Happens more often than you might think possible. Best practice is to give them a good shake after mounting to be sure.

When things really get out of hand, all you can do it repaint. For the record; this one stayed attached throughout.

201255306_10159341645274494_5082050641505214867_n.jpg277439605_5090119117731123_2849398581180852115_n.jpg277739570_5105513796191655_3200695702622492798_n.jpg

Bike
2007 ST1300
When things really get out of hand, all you can do it repaint. For the record; this one stayed attached throughout.

you did a really good job on that repair, please share your technique and steps you took to get that finish??:biggrin:

where did you find the color match paint?

Save 350......

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I'm hardly an expert but the results are acceptable for a hobbyist.

Remove the hinge bolts to separate the cover from the box. I pulled the rubber weatherstripping off also so it wouldn't get buggered up. If you've got travel stickers plastered on the inside like I do you'll have to try not to damage them while you're messing around. Wet sand all the colored part to get a clean scuff finish that new paint can stick to (300? 600?). Work the damaged areas with a flat sanding block until smooth and or add a little Bondo type body filler if necessary to fill significant gouges. Mask off a clean separating line with blue tape. Spray with primer. Examine for imperfections and sand/fill/re-prime as necessary. Spray a light coat of properly thinned color then a couple heavier coats. Letting it flash off in between to avoid runs. Then repeat with a few coats of clear w/hardener. Lots of painting tutorials on Youtube. I already had the tools from earlier projects. A small to medium air compressor and an inexpensive purple spray gun from Harbor Freight are all that's necessary. Wouldn't hurt to pick up a paint respirator with some carbon filters if you want to walk straight later. o_O

The trip to the paint counter at the local auto parts shop was interesting. The counterman wasn't able to come up with anything in his recipe book based on the paint code. :( We tried the fancy color matching Viewmaster camera but the resulting formula didn't look right on paper. Correct tint but no pearl/metallic. He called and talked to two different people at the paint distributor help line. They looked it up with the info we had and gave him a recipe to try. Looked pretty close in the can so we decided to go with it. I had to do the mirror covers at the same time so, a pint of color, reducer, clear coat, and hardener was around $100 in materials.

Interesting behavior that the color went on royal blue then dried with a violet haze. Went back to blue when the clear coat was added over top. Side by side the finish color is a close match to the 18 year old paint. Close enough. The difference I can see looks like the original clear coat is cloudy or slightly opaque. I guess that's to be expected after that many years of UV exposure. I've always thought the factory blue was kind of boring and didn't have enough pop. Now I know why.

The textured lower part of the cover you'll have to fuss with until you're happy with it. Sand? Scrape? Trim? You're never going to get the original texture back. I just tried to make the damage less noticeable.

20220430_121952.jpg
image001.jpgimage002.jpgimage005.jpg

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Next project? The car tried to inhale a wild turkey. Cannon ball in the mail slot didn't work out to well. Brought home a replacement panel yesterday. Time for another trip to the paint counter.

image003.jpgimage004.jpg

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Well. Hmm. We are bringing the car to OHSTOC. As long as you didn't mind being without it for a bit.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Well. Hmm. We are bringing the car to OHSTOC. As long as you didn't mind being without it for a bit.
Well I was thinking I could stop by your place sometime this summer -- you have time of course --- and have you do it then??

Orrrrrrr---- you could do this as a (tech stoc) item for those of us that have had trouble keeping the side cases on going down the road...???
See who would show up....
I think that is a great idea....
A scuff and paint tech STOC. What ya think????:biggrin:

Seriously you do great work...

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Don't know that I have the facilities for a full on tech workshop. But if you're going to be out this way sometime give me shout.

Top Bottom