seafoam works, I can confirm it

Bike
ST1100
Bought seafoam engine cleaning spray kit and tried it today. Used can of spray in two cycles, and after that discovered, that engine vibrations above 4000 - 5000 rpm almost gone! After cleaning I decided to give my ST a good run on a highway, and even at 7000 rpm vibrations were in a tolerable level.
Was very doubtful that this product could help with vibrations, but decided to try - thought it would not harm 23 years old engine anyway.

looks like carbon deposits build up with time and need to give to engine a good clean sometimes.

1711214418765.png

Bike
2010 ST1300
Glad to hear we have a statistically valid, double blind study proving the efficacy of sea foam.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Works great to clean out mildly dirty carbs too.
My old CB900C always ran better and started easier after sitting too long, if I ran about double strength Seafoam on half a tank and ran it good and hard till almost empty. Seemed to wash out all the little jets and such and ran much smoother.

Just my two cents.....

IMG_20200330_170540.jpg

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I’ve used SeaFoam as a gas stabilizer for the winter but have never tried the spray version. Did you spray in each of the 4 carb snorkels?

@ToddC I miss my 900c except for that most uncomfortable seat. Dual range tranny was the bomb

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I’ve used SeaFoam as a gas stabilizer for the winter but have never tried the spray version. Did you spray in each of the 4 carb snorkels?

@ToddC I miss my 900c except for that most uncomfortable seat. Dual range tranny was the bomb
Ya, they were cool. Had two of them, put about 60k miles combined on them.
Rode to Long Beach CA from WA and back, over 18 days in '83 when I was 19....with no windscreen. That was a lesson learned.
T

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Seafoam is a cleaner with a little lubricant, MMO is a lubricant with a little cleaner...
They can be used together.
I use a 5hr energy bottle (2oz) and dump it in the tank at every fill up.
The MMO is used more, as it keeps the fuel injectors clean, lubricates the fuel pump and keeps everything working as it should.
These are two pistons out of my TW200's, one used MMO (mine) and the wife's (just gas) at approximately 6000 miles when I did a cylinder base gasket recall.
You can see the difference for yourself.
029.JPG031.JPG033.JPG034.JPG035.JPG036.JPG

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Did you spray in each of the 4 carb snorkels?
yes, I sprayed sequentially in circle, giving 30 seconds spray to each snorkel. Emptied can in two rounds, giving 10 min to foam to soak and then rode intensively 40 min to finish process. First 10 min engine misfired and run very rough on two cylinders i think, but eventually it cleared up.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
These are two pistons out of my TW200's, one used MMO (mine) and the wife's (just gas)
impressive difference! Added cleaner from the second can. Sure it cannon give instant effect, but I'll see how it goes)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As a word of WARNING to others, I'm guessing that Alberto did this treatment to an ST1100, per his avatar.
While I believe its safe to use seafoam treatment in correct amounts to fuel in our ST1300's, I personally WOULD NOT use their spray engine cleaner, or their intake cleaner by spraying it into the snorkels on an ST1300, because the throttle bodies have a coating of Moly on each half of the butterflies, and this treatment COULD damage, and remove said coating.
Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, and many solvents have been found by users to damage this coating.
MMO has not damaged this coating when the throttle bodies have been cleaned and wiped down with a cotton ball damp with MMO.
I personally would NOT use anything automotive by spraying/fogging into the snorkels and risk damaging this coating.
Just in case your wondering, it the coating were to get damaged, its about $4k to replace your assembly.
YMMV

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
yes, I have ST1100. Never heard of throttle body coating. What this coating for?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Someone else's picture, but if you look inside the throttle body housing, you'll see the coating on the to20210524_151954.jpgp side on half the butterfly, there is also a coating on the opposite side on the bottle.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
They can be used together.
I use a 5hr energy bottle (2oz) and dump it in the tank at every fill up.
The MMO is used more, as it keeps the fuel injectors clean, lubricates the fuel pump and keeps everything working as it should.
Are you saying you do 2 oz of MMO every fill & 2 oz of Seafoam occasionally, or a combination of them totaling 2 oz, with more MMO than Seafoam in the 2 oz mix?

Bike
2010 ST1300
yes, I have ST1100. Never heard of throttle body coating. What this coating for?
The coating keeps deposits from sticking to the intake's metal sides and causing the butterflies to hang up. Cars have these coatings as well, and a lot of mechanics scoured them off thinking they were carbon. Doing so does no real harm, but once gone, you will have to go in there every few thousand miles to clean them. The downside of not cleaning is one or more butterfly valves will stick slightly open leading to rough running. A used truck I once had also required more than usual force on the gas pedal to open these sticking valves resulting in a bit of a lurch forward as they popped open. Smooth operation of the truck was impossible until the gunk was cleaned out w/ carb cleaner.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Is this coating a special process for fuel injected bikes like the 1300 vs the carbureted 1100?
I don’t recall this being mentioned before by any of the brave souls who overhauled the 1100 carbs.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
It‘s some sort if dry-slide type slick coating. Some sort of moly perhaps.

Honda started using when introducing EFI to their bikes.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Are you saying you do 2 oz of MMO every fill & 2 oz of Seafoam occasionally, or a combination of them totaling 2 oz, with more MMO than Seafoam in the 2 oz mix?
Yes.....sometimes....and yes.

Top Bottom