seafoam works, I can confirm it

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Just to be clear, if you use a 5hr energy bottle, cover up or remove the wrapper on it.
Marvel mystery oil won't do your insides any good if you mess the bottles up, and that amount of caffeine & sugar wouldn't be good for your fuel system.
I think the takeaway is find something that can easily measure out 2oz per tankful of fuel on the ST.
Finally... the last sentence is all I needed.
No worries about covering up or removing the 5hr Energy wrapper; I've never drunk one, and don't plan to. I'll pour it out, or just find a 2oz plastic kitchen bottle or similar. I drank a Monster Energy drink once, and it was worse than terrible, I guess like my black coffee it's "an acquired taste", but one I'll never pursue acquiring.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
OK, so now we've seen the 5-hour Energy bottle reference twice... are we talking about for the ST1300 7.6 / 7.7gal fuel tank?

Just to be clear... thanks.
MMO= 4oz per 10 gals of fuel, you fill up (or should) an ST when down to two bars= 5 gals,=2oz per tankful.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Okay seriously back to the topic and a twist. I found along with the Seafoam Spray (man that stuff doubled in price since I bought it a couple of years ago), I blame Alberto for this, I found an engine flush by Seafoam. Any one use this? You are supposed to put in the crankcase a bit before and oil change. I have a coworker that this in his car and swears everything seems quieter and smoother.
Wet clutch motorcycle....don't do it in your ST

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sorry for ruining engine additives market ) I personally believe that pouring washing additive into crankcase won't give any significant help if change oil regularly. I'm sure that in my case it helped because I had engine disbalance caused by the carbon deposits built up on pistons and after cleaning disbalance almost gone with vibrations. Going to continue to pour a mouthful of seafoam to fuel at each refueling, will see how it help)
I would use MMO at each fill up, and seafoam only once a month or so.
If you take two small stainless steel bowls, and put fuel in both, and add seafoam to one, and MMO to the other, you'll find the one with seafoam will evaporate and dry out, where the MMO will still be there a month later. This is what keeps the system lubricated and running smoothly. You want your injectors and fuel pump clean and lubricated, not just cleaned.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
You'll want less polar solvent than alcohols for cleaning innards, just not enough cutting power. From cleaning hundreds of carbs and doing tonne of piston soaks, I've found similar results to igofar in terms of cleaning effectiveness. PEA-based fuel-system cleaner does best job of cleaning compared to any other solvent.

- Red Line SI-1
- Techron Concentrate Plus
- 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner #08814
- Royal Purple Max Atomizer 18000
- Gumout All-in-One (might be off list soon due to lowering amounts of PEA)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You want your injectors and fuel pump clean and lubricated, not just cleaned.
Same with adding (sulfur free) 2-stroke oil to (E-something) Diesel... preserving the injectors... (ethanol is a nasty stuff...)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'm not a chemist by any means, I read MSDS sheets to dispel myths of snake oil.... anyone can do it, it's not rocket science. Re: Danno's list, the formulae for the Canadian equivalents is different. Seems we don't allow PEA any more, so buy in the US if you want some. US Walmarts have isopropyl at half our cost here, I used to buy quarts for U$2.50, but that's up now.
Seafoam is rather mild, but the naptha will dissolve gums over time, it's not a fast acting solvent nor would I call it an injection cleaner. Overpriced here, buy in the US and hope you hit a sale.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Just use spray brake cleaner if you even need to do that. How about just a good car wash and rinse?
Some brake cleaners consist of chemicals that can cause rubber bits to swell, depending on the type of rubber.
A case of sprayer beware.

Bike
06 ST1300 Blk Beauty
Bought seafoam engine cleaning spray kit and tried it today. Used can of spray in two cycles, and after that discovered, that engine vibrations above 4000 - 5000 rpm almost gone! After cleaning I decided to give my ST a good run on a highway, and even at 7000 rpm vibrations were in a tolerable level.
Was very doubtful that this product could help with vibrations, but decided to try - thought it would not harm 23 years old engine anyway.

looks like carbon deposits build up with time and need to give to engine a good clean sometimes.

1711214418765.png

Top Bottom