Seat Replacement

Bike
2007 ST1300
I am looking at replacing my current seat. It is a custom Rich's seat that was on the ST-1300 when I purchased it. The gentleman I purchased this bike from was 6'-2" and thin. I on the other hand am 5'-9" and 185-190. I always feel I am sliding forward on this seat, my wrist will start hurting after an hour or so as I am pushing myself backwards, or at least feel I am. I went to a local guy here in Albany. OR and he overhauled the seat for me, but while better I still feel I am sliding forward somewhat. The material seems to be slick like someone put a massive amount of Armor-all on it.

I looked at the forums here but they are dated and thought I would provide specifics (height and weight). Perhaps there is someone out there that is close to my size and has some information?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 21
If you didn't try putting the seat in the high position at the front and low position in the rear you might try that to reduce the slope.

If you didn't try putting the seat in the high position at the front and low position in the rear you might try that to reduce the slope.
I did try the middle position on the front. The seat can not be adjusted in the rear (that I can tell). There are three height brackets in the rear. They are set by the front adjustment. But on the middle my feet are not solid on the pavement, that is concerning for me. But I will look at that today. Thanks.

Well, I did take the seat off and you are correct. It was a little effort to do, but I now have it it the middle position front and low position in the back. I am going on a 2400 mile trip starting next week. That will give me so time to try a couple positions. Thank you. I do like the seat looks and other than feeling like I am sliding forward it it fine.

Dave:

Could you elaborate a bit about adjustment of the ST 1300 seat at the rear? I was not aware that there is any kind of rear height adjustment possible, and I would sure like to lower the back of the operator's seat if it is possible.

Michael

The rear adjustment is a 'brute force' adjustment. Otherwise there is no adjustment at the rear. By flexing the seat pan a little the rear of the seat can be forced one step lower than what Honda designed and shows in the Owner's Manual. This provides a more level seat with less tendency to slide forward.

st1300-seat-position-diagram-jpg.241619

As shown above position 2a puts the front of the seat in the MID position and the rear of the seat one step lower than factory (LOW). Position 3b puts the front of the seat in the HIGH position while the rear of the seat is one step lower than factory (MID). There is also a very slight reduction in seat height over the factory HIGH and MID positions. Note that this is obviously not recommended by Honda.

Dave:

Could you elaborate a bit about adjustment of the ST 1300 seat at the rear? I was not aware that there is any kind of rear height adjustment possible, and I would sure like to lower the back of the operator's seat if it is possible.

Michael
ST Gui got it. If you have an OEM or aftermarket seat that has the three stepped slots you have to force it into one of the lower slots. I had a Sargent seat that was initially a bear to do this but over time, heat and constant pressure reformed the seat pan to easily fit.

Dave:

Michael
If I am not mistaken, you have a corbin seat Michael, correct? If you are in fact talking about a corbin, you have to unbolt and move the rear "mount" to adjust the rear position. There are a couple of sets of bolt holes. If you are speaking of a factory seat, my apologies, the previous explanations apply.

The rear adjustment is a 'brute force' adjustment. Otherwise there is no adjustment at the rear. By flexing the seat pan a little the rear of the seat can be forced one step lower than what Honda designed and shows in the Owner's Manual. This provides a more level seat with less tendency to slide forward.

st1300-seat-position-diagram-jpg.241619

As shown above position 2a puts the front of the seat in the MID position and the rear of the seat one step lower than factory (LOW). Position 3b puts the front of the seat in the HIGH position while the rear of the seat is one step lower than factory (MID). There is also a very slight reduction in seat height over the factory HIGH and MID positions. Note that this is obviously not recommended by Honda.
Forcing the rear position lower than the corresponding front adjustment. Does this have any adverse effect on seat integrity, safety, etc...

I am looking at replacing my current seat. It is a custom Rich's seat that was on the ST-1300 when I purchased it. The gentleman I purchased this bike from was 6'-2" and thin. I on the other hand am 5'-9" and 185-190. I always feel I am sliding forward on this seat, my wrist will start hurting after an hour or so as I am pushing myself backwards, or at least feel I am. I went to a local guy here in Albany. OR and he overhauled the seat for me, but while better I still feel I am sliding forward somewhat. The material seems to be slick like someone put a massive amount of Armor-all on it.

I looked at the forums here but they are dated and thought I would provide specifics (height and weight). Perhaps there is someone out there that is close to my size and has some information?

Thanks.
Sliding forward is the main problem with the oem seat. If that is eliminated. I believe the oem seat would be ok. Instead of forcing the rear in a lower position than the front, I would try making a slight modification, using a drill or a chisel to allow for the rear to be adjusted lower than the front. I might look into this.

If I am not mistaken, you have a corbin seat Michael, correct? If you are in fact talking about a corbin, you have to unbolt and move the rear "mount" to adjust the rear position. There are a couple of sets of bolt holes. If you are speaking of a factory seat, my apologies, the previous explanations apply.
Hi Brent:

Correct, I have a Corbin. Thanks to all who replied, the idea of lowering the rear of the seat is new to me and I am looking forward to experimenting and seeing what I can accomplish. The "sliding forward" problem is the only thing I don't like about the two seats (OEM & Corbin) that I have for my ST 1300.

Michael

Anyone know if sliding forward is a problem with the RDL?
Depends on how you instructed them to make it. Most people's build instructions to Russel include a request to eliminate the sliding forward in their new seat design.

Anyone know if sliding forward is a problem with the RDL?
RDL seat - [My bike pic attached Leather & vinyle] - The RDL sets you into the pocket. No sliding forward, or backward either - your locked in. Sounds bad, but it works really well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 3.35.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 3.35.33 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
Hi Brent:

Correct, I have a Corbin. Thanks to all who replied, the idea of lowering the rear of the seat is new to me and I am looking forward to experimenting and seeing what I can accomplish. The "sliding forward" problem is the only thing I don't like about the two seats (OEM & Corbin) that I have for my ST 1300.

Michael
The corbin doesnt allow you to raise or lower each end independently in stock formation. Its been a while so I really dont remember all the issues in leveling out the seat "as-is", but I modified the front mount by welding in a spacer to raise the front to level it out. If you get playing around and you would like to experiment, I can let you try out the mount or the whole seat for that matter if you'd like ( I dont use the seat since I got a RDL ). Let me know if you get to that point.

There's always the various non-slip pads/add-on for the seat that might help keep you in place.

Also, previous to converting my OEM seat pan to a Russell seat, I was using a no-slip SHEEPSKIN pad from AEROSTICH - (though when I went to locate the URL the website was down... ) Mine was a high quality item with nice bungie loops & straps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 3.57.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 3.57.02 PM.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom