Second tip over while headed to NATSToc

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
While on the way to Spearfish I was riding with Indian Express, Lana, Tree Muncher, Della and Tommy Moore. I experienced my second tip over. We were watching a storm come in from our left and decided to pull over and put on the raingear as we had been dodging rain since we left Nashville. We stopped at the bottom of a entrance ramp to the interstate, with a fairly wide shoulder then a drop off to a gravel area about 3 ft wide. I was well loaded with camping gear and the like making the already top heavy ST even more so. As I stopped I noticed the bike was a little more up right than it should be, no sooner did that cross my mind I began to tip to the right. It was no way with the additional weight I going to save it. I went down and rolled into the gravel, luckily I was free from the bike. Because of the additional drop from the pavement to the gravel the bike did not land on the front guard but the right saddle bag and mirror. Other damage was to the right MCL hwy blade. The only think hurt was my pride. I might add, it didn't rain on us, our stop and tip over was not necessary. I replaced the damaged HWY blade and added MCL tip over case guards and a rear peg lowering kit when I got home.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Phhfffft, mirrors are cheap in comparison to compound fractures and/or torn shoulder muscles, just let'er drop... And scratches on the panniers just CALL for STickers. :D

Glad ya survived unscathed.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bummer for sure.

Looks like the ole tipover counter needs to be updated though..:eek:4:

I have some tip over rear guards coming because at 5'4" it is not "if" I may drop it, it is more like "when". I hope the the guards get here before "when".
Lowering the seat and changing the rear shock to lower the bike about 1" for me made all the difference in the world.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
The left side of my bike has looked just like that.. I feel your pain.

Lowering the seat and changing the rear shock to lower the bike about 1" for me made all the difference in the world.
I may lower the seat by Spencerizing it but I don't want to lower the bike. When I bought the bike the former owner had tried to lower the bike by taking all the preload out and setting the rebound on the softest position. It did lower the bike a little when I got on it but if I moved around on the bike it was like sitting on a pogo stick. Nothing like trying to hold up a heavy bike that is moving around at a stop. I set the suspension correctly and although it is a little higher, it is far more composed.

Top Bottom