Seduced by a red temptress

It's worth noting that horsepower is 100% addictive.

To that end, having a 197 horsepower "toy" bike spoiled me absolutely rotten, and a recent test ride on a K1300GT quelled all my horsepower withdrawl symptoms, and the checkbook came out.

I've raised the bars, and lowered the footpegs already, which really made a tremendous improvement in the ergonomics for me. They ergos were very good in stock configuration, but now they are almost "RT" comfy. I also added a tall Aeroflow screen, and that dramatcally improved the wind protection.

Comparing the K13GT to the DOHC RT, I can honestly say that in stock form, the RT offers a bit more wind protection, slightly more upright riding position, and what I believe to be a bit better low speed cornering ability.

However, with the modifications to the ergos and wind management, I feel the GT is about par with the RT relative to comfort. Moreover, with regard to handling, the GT will fire me out of a corner much harder due to the extra horsepower, and is absolutely on rails the entire time.

The engine pulls extremely hard at any point, and really makes some interesting/visceral sounds as the throttle is held open. I find it to be exceptionally smooth, and with grip puppies, and manic salamander weights, even slightly more so.

At any rate, this may be my only bike. It's enough of a hot rod to suggest to me I don't need the toy, and it will comfortably provide long distance touring while still providing exhilerating handling, and an acceptable weight for everyday use.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the color. I got to ride a red one at Bike Week last year.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Yes it is great looking, very sweet. Must admit it has "expensive" written all over it ... but I like it! No one does color coordination combination's as well as bmw. It just exudes "class".

When I saw the pictures I quickly ran out to my garage and checked to see if my German Red Dragon was still there. Phew, that shook me. As you can see I have a weakness for red bikes. I'm in the process of adding sliders for tip over protection. There are some rumors that BMW has some protection but it is under the $500 fairing. Well, I'm not taking any chances. I'm holding off on the peg lowering kit. The pegs feel higher than the ST but so far I got worse leg cramps on the ST. The first long ride will tell me.
Congratulations on the new bike and on having good taste.- john

PM me if you'd like to start a dialog.

Attachments

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Yes that is a nice machine!

That red is quite noticeable too!

Our IAM group chairman has the identical machine..... the first task is to find out how to get those fairing protectors fitted, if it just falls over, it can get expensive...

Another of our IAM members has traded his immaculate red ST1300 in for the very nice dark blue version of the GT and I have to say it looks good too..... he just doesn't go over 65mph....

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
When I saw the pictures I quickly ran out to my garage and checked to see if my German Red Dragon was still there. Phew, that shook me. As you can see I have a weakness for red bikes. I'm in the process of adding sliders for tip over protection. There are some rumors that BMW has some protection but it is under the $500 fairing. Well, I'm not taking any chances. I'm holding off on the peg lowering kit. The pegs feel higher than the ST but so far I got worse leg cramps on the ST. The first long ride will tell me.
Congratulations on the new bike and on having good taste.- john

PM me if you'd like to start a dialog.
Love your VFR there...but Asphalt Black is the fastest color I think :D

Oh, like Wonder Woman and her glass (invisible, whatever!) airplane. Cool.

I was riding with a group up in VT, and I was really whipping the V-Tec on passes. Afterward, I asked the the ST rider behind me if he had any trouble keeping up with me? He said, "no, I just started reading when you were ready to make a pass, then I would get a running start and when you made your pass, I was right behind you."
Amazing how the engine will spin when those extra valves open up.
Um, red is faster. We don't need no stinkin' chameleon-like stealth.:D

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Oh, like Wonder Woman and here glass (invisible, whatever!) airplane. Cool.

I was riding with a group up in VT, and I was really whipping the V-Tec on passes. Afterward, I asked the the ST rider behind me if he had any trouble keeping up with me? He said, "no, I just started reading when you were ready to make a pass, then I would get a running start and when you made your pass, I was right behind you."
Amazing how the engine will spin when those extra valves open up.
Um, red is faster. We don't need no stinkin' chameleon-like stealth.:D
Yep...I love the VTEC. 5th gen owners generally poo-poo it, but I think it's pretty cool to feel the extra go about 6800 rpm. What year is yours? Do you frequent VFRD.com?

Steve

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Big congratulations Judge! :) That's an engine and chassis one can like very quickly. Very cool bike.

Comparing the K13GT to the DOHC RT, I can honestly say that in stock form, the RT offers a bit more wind protection, slightly more upright riding position, and what I believe to be a bit better low speed cornering ability.
I'm thinking along the lines of picking up a used RT right now. I'm curious if you feel the suspension has any similarity in feel between the two going down the road? How about turn in characteristics?

If I don't buy one before the riding season here in the Northeast, I'll go down to the dealer and grab a test ride to answer those questions. However, you can likely answer my question adequately in case I don't get that test ride first Since your impressions of both bikes will be fresh.

OP
OP
Judge
Big congratulations Judge! :) That's an engine and chassis one can like very quickly. Very cool bike.

I'm thinking along the lines of picking up a used RT right now. I'm curious if you feel the suspension has any similarity in feel between the two going down the road? How about turn in characteristics?

If I don't buy one before the riding season here in the Northeast, I'll go down to the dealer and grab a test ride to answer those questions. However, you can likely answer my question adequately in case I don't get that test ride first Since your impressions of both bikes will be fresh.

Let me put it this way.

If I were going to Deals Gap and had to choose between the GT or RT to flick around those 318 curves, I'd probably take the RT.

It's lighter, has a shorter wheelbase, and is just more "flickable"> Honestly, it's hands down the best handling ST bike I've sampled. The GT comes in a close second to the RT in tight radius corners, but anything short of really tight corners, and the GT is superior. The GT fires you out of corners, whereas the RT motors you through with noticeably less authority than the GT.

The two bikes do have some similarity in feel, mostly in regards to stability. Absolutely rock solid at ANY speed.

Either bike is a really good long distance weapon, and it comes down to which particular bike speaks to you.

Hope that helps.

Nice answer Judge. My 75/5 was incredible handling twisties. The flexible frame, poor brakes, etc stuff made it inferior to today's technologies. Those 50 ponies spoke to me. I haven't tried the new RT but the lighter weight and lower CG speak volumes.

Steve I have an '02. I've been to the VFRD site but folks here are so nice I spend most of my time between here and a couple of BMW sites. People who knock the V-Tec haven't spent much time with it.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Thanks Judge, it helps a great deal, and confirms my interest in the RT. :)

V tech: firstly I read all this negative stuff and carping about it. Then John let me ride his viffer on the Kancamigus Highway in NH a couple of years ago. I though the V tech was a flat out hoot! Reminded me just a little of a two stroke power band. I couldn't see what the hub bub was about, you know it's there, you ride accordingly and have fun with it. When it kicks in she goes VERY nicely indeed. :)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I remember that ride along the Kanc...weeeeeeee! :headbang:

(I also remember the look on your face when I showed you the GPS top speed figure. :shock:)

Top Bottom