Seeking Advice on How to Raise the Rear Portion of the Dash Shelf on an ST11

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I have the dash shelf that is commonly seen on the ST11. I am tall enough that I dont have a clear view of the instrument lights above the guages because my viewing angle is blocked by the trailing edge of the dash shelf.

If I remember correctly I want to say I have read comments in the past from riders who have raised up the rear portion of the shelf to make it easier to see all of the instrument panel and warning lights. I decided that was a modification I wanted to do as well. I removed the 2 rear screws that secured the aft portion of the shelf so I could raise it. After doing so I realized that the flat metal pieces of hardware I was going to utilize to fabricate a bracked were not going to work because they were going to require more modification than I anticipated.

I got to wondering if others of you who may have performed this modification, how did you do it? Did you find a bracket of some sort that was easily adaptable or some type of hardware that was readily available to do the modification or did you have to fabricate something? If you fabricated, exactly what and how did you fabricate? No sense in me re-inventing the wheel here if it can be avoided. Thanks.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I found the same thing... the way I sit when riding caused the dash shelf to block the panel's entire top row.
After looking at it I ditched the shelf... let me know what you come up with...

Mark

I made a couple of short extensions from alloy bar stock that raised the rear about 3/4 inch.
Ummm ought to take a picture to save a 1000 words.
First try at the extensions failed because the screws hit the plastic cowl.
Also had to make a double bend in each extension.
Ahhh, bug me at carl.custer@gmail.com for a picture mañana.

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Carl,
Nice job. This was the exact approach I was going to take with my 1100. I was also going run the same stock all the way across the bottom side of the shelf with hopes reducing the vibration on less tan stellar roads.

Before I could tackle that project, I was bit by the ST13 bug.

Top Bottom