Sena Freewire...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Hi,

as already mentioned in other thread am I considering going BT... (BTW: my wired AUTOCOM served for almost 25 years now...)

In lack of other BT head-units the focus fell onto the Sena FreeWire Bluetooth CB and audio-adapter ...

I'm a bit miffed over their proprietary politics, this kit is only avail for HD (7-pin DIN connector) or Gold-Wing (5-pin DIN connector)...
No stereo-in cable with open ends or even a pin layout (I'd to search for that on GW forums...)

The situation:
- car stereo/tunes
- wired GPS audio
- Sena 10U (dedicated for hidden installation in the Shoei Neotec)
- use/pairing of phone not intended

My inquiries:
- anyone running this Sena adapter model?
- am I right to assume that this normally plugs into the Gold-Wing rider's headset outlet?
- any knowing person can confirm the pin layout?
- does this require a per-amp or a high-lever (speaker) input (running a Sony car stereo I could use/wire either, but I've to assume that 25W output are over the top, hence have to build an RCA adapter...)
- will it automatically resume pairing with the BT headset upon powering back up?
- anything I overlooked/omitted?

I'll intend to slip it out of sight & reach into the LHS pocket, on the clip provided, cable outlets pointing down (water protection)...

TIA

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, there used to be 'adapters' that went from 5 pin Goldwing to standard 3.5mm jacks.
IIRC (since I had both) the Autocom 5 pin is configured slightly different that the Goldwing 5 pin.
Some of the 5 pins are the same, the 'speaking' ones are different.
Here's some diagrams from my archives (don't know if they will do you any good or not) -

Headset Wiring For 5-Pin Pinout Goldwing.jpg

Jack Pin Out.JPG
Autocom Pinouts.jpg

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
FWIW, there used to be 'adapters' that went from 5 pin Goldwing to standard 3.5mm jacks.
IIRC (since I had both) the Autocom 5 pin is configured slightly different that the Goldwing 5 pin.
Some of the 5 pins are the same, the 'speaking' ones are different.
Here's some diagrams from my archives (don't know if they will do you any good or not) -

Headset Wiring For 5-Pin Pinout Goldwing.jpg
Thanx, that might do it...
Will start a bench-test with a pre-amp audio signal first and see how that works...
their audio connector seems to have some galvanic separation and/or resistors, as there is a black something molded onto it...

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, the gadgets arrived today...
Made the firmware updates on both (Sena 10U and Freewire)
Did some bench-testing on the dining table, once you've figured out to pair that Freewire thingy as "media" (their manuals sucks :rolleyes:) it works astonishingly well...
The helmet headset "talks" (a voice prompt confirmation about the function you've just intended to activate ;)), I've set it to English (just like my satnavs) to get brief, more accurate information.

Will do another bench test in the shop to figure out if pre-amp (RCA out) signals from a Sony stereo are valid for the music input on that DIN GL connector.
I intend to use the same 12V supply like the stereo on the ST to avoid any ground loop issues/distortions...
Will need to tinker another of my 5V supplies (the freewire requires a 3mm hollow plug and I'd like to eliminate that massive cig lighter type plug supplied with the kit)

The USB cable that came with the 10U is pretty much useless... they supply a 90° microUSB connector angled in the wrong direction, doesn't fit into the socket... :biggrin:
Got a bunch of (heavy duty, braided) straight ones for charging while on tour
(that's gonna be a mess: an array of USB chargers for two helmets, two phones, Sony action cam, vape kit, etc... the electric rider :cool:)

We'll have to see if their phone app is of any use, it reckons the 10U headset, not the Freewire though...

Found another GW headset pin-out... seems to differ from above, seems I'll have to perform some trial & error...

GW headset pin layout.jpg

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, more progress, turns out they're indeed following the standard HiFi DIN connector layout ...
2 - ground/common
5 - right channel
3 - left channel
(1 & 4 would be "output", not used in my case)

So I can simply use a standard off the shelf adapter to connect my Sony's line-out RCA jacks with the Freewire :cool:

Garmin GPS audio (2.5mm mono jack) to the 3.5mm stereo AUX in seems easy enough; IIRC does the AUTOCOM satnav adapter cable already feature this...

So the only soldering action needed will be building the 12V to 5V supply using a buck step-down solid state module mimicking their SC-A0133 vehicle adapter with an exotic 3mm hollow plug...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Alright, some success...

The shown RCA/DIN converter works flawlessly... bench testing on the kitchen counter with the line-out of an NAD iPod-dock, a motorcycle battery, the Sena 12V/5V cig-plug outlet and some laboratory cables with gator-clamps... :cool:
Sound is astonishingly good (after browsing through some Inet reviews and forum complaints I'd expected worse, having a proper audio source surely helps, they shouldn't blame all on SENA there ;); on the ST we'll have a full grown car stereo with treble, bass, balance, etc... :cool: ), it's an intercom, not SHURE studio headphones...
Also tested the 3,5mm input for the GPS audio, great, music mutes promptly, no dropped speech, music softly comes back on... check

The Freewire will automatically turn on/off when it sees onboard voltage, interestingly even with switch on OFF (probably only activates the internal battery hence providing an always-on feature)... also check

I further paired the Sena RC4 remote, volume up/down works great, no issues there... (will have to balance out the volume settings of all 3 devices, GPS, Sony stereo and the master volume on the Sena 10U itself once the stuff gets permanently installed inside the tail-cone of the ST...)

off to study more Sena literature... ;)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Alright, more equipment arrived, successfully installed... and a bit of a downer...

Yep, the SLR II came, did a firmware upgrade, installed it into the Neotec II...
flawless, fits really perfectly... unit, speakers, triangular keypad, antenna and boom-mike clip right in...
The 3-button block on the LHS is a tad tricky, definitely not to be fat-fingered with gloves on...

Paired the FreeWire without issues, sound a tad tinny though...
on a plain line-out however, will see what the Sony car stereo sound controls can enhance there...

Not so cool: once paired with the SLR II kit, that FreeWire has forgotten the prev Neotec 10U headset...
So good that I'd ordered one for each ST, but I'll have to remember which helmet goes with what motorcycle (first world problems, eh... ;))

One bonus OTOH: the RC4 remocon does remember both helmet headsets (so I actually would have not needed to order the 3rd one... :doh1: )

Anyway, the system works, next is to get the FreeWire thingies set into the ST's... power, audio, GPS...

TBC...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Not so cool: once paired with the SLR II kit, that FreeWire has forgotten the prev Neotec 10U headset...
Need to correct that: today the FreeWire did also remember the other headset... it just takes a little eternity ;)

In the next episode:
how can two FreeWire kits inside two motorcycles can be used with two helmet headsets alternately... :doh1:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Finally came around to
- remove the complete Autocom wiring from bow to stern
- get the FreeWire installed and running

First order of business was to eliminate that ridiculous cig-lighter plug; don't know why they don't care to offer a power supply with open wires anymore...
Bit of a fiddling to set the micro poti on that step-down module to the required 5,4V...
Then change out my car stereo line out cabling to the RCA-DIN adapter... first test: yep, tunes are on... full stereo...
Plugging the GPS audio line in required some carving on the 3,5mm jack (damn proprietary setup by Sena)... working as well...

Fumbling all back into the tail-cone is a bit of an issue, but I'm used to this... since '96 when I first build this Sony setup...

Generally its like having Cortana along now...
you punch the keys on the helmet to turn it on "headset preparing!", after a few seconds "Hello!", pressing two buttons on the RC4 "remote connected!"
you flick the key in the ignition "audio connected!", shortly after the GPS expresses "ready to navigate!"...
Hitting the buttons on the helmet keypad for OFF is acknowledged with an enthusiastic "good bye!"

Muscle memory misses the rider lead, always grasping for the now missing DIN couplings ;)
Scenes at the gas station are amusing, me already at the pump, GF is waiting for green at the nearby intersection, old fella with his dog having a smoke outside the shop entrance likely thought I'm mad talking in my open flip-front helmet while filling premium... :biggrin:
Same with me already in line at the cashier while she finished filing up her NT... "can you pay mine too while at it?"... "yes dear..." :cool:
Down in the garage I got three long beeps... aha, GF just turned her headset off... (same happens on the road when she gets totally out of range...)
Next surprise: when I then turn my RC4 off, my headset will shut down as well...

So far I'm pretty pleased, no biscuits and tea though... and the bill was quite hefty...

IMG_20240414_211951_537.jpg IMG_20240414_211951_477.jpg IMG_20240414_211951_163.jpg

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom