Senna v. Autocom, Etc.

Louie Louie

Is it safe to say that Senna products are now the norm for communications? Whatever happened to Starcom and Autocom? I STill have my Autocom and works great. Just looking for the latest technology.

Thanks

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I used to have a Starcom system. Never could get it to work as well as it should have. That, combined with the constant breaking and replacing of EXPENSIVE cables, plus not being able to take it from bike to bike (I have 3), finally led me to just give it away to get rid of the aggravation. Went with Sena and am very happy.

Rod

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just bought the new version of the autocom, http://autocom.co.uk/motorcycle-communication-systems.html

I'm not having any issues with it. It worked great on my trip a couple of months ago for communicating between Justin and Dave and piping in my MP3 music from my Garmin. I also have the bluetooth adapter for connecting to my phone, which works just fine.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

I just bought the new version of the autocom, http://autocom.co.uk/motorcycle-communication-systems.html

I'm not having any issues with it. It worked great on my trip a couple of months ago for communicating between Justin and Dave and piping in my MP3 music from my Garmin. I also have the bluetooth adapter for connecting to my phone, which works just fine.
Very nice. Congrats on the Farkle. Did you purchase it in the US or U K.?
Thanks

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Make a + and - comparison of what matters to you and see where the numbers fall.

Some people prefer wireless over wired. But then with wireless you have batteries to charge. No ground loops with using Bluetooth, but you might have less connections then components.

I'm personally happy with the Sena. I've used both the 10 and 20, also tried a Scala G4.
The tradeoff of being wire free for charging batteries is okay to me.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Louis, I can't remember...it was probably back in June when I bought it. And I can't find my info.

One thing that bugs me the most is having batteries die on me. So everything I have is "plugged in" to the bikes power...;)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
One thing that bugs me the most is having batteries die on me. So everything I have is "plugged in" to the bikes power...;)
I use a combination of unit's to make sure that never happens. I bought the dual unit so my pillion is happy. And on days she is along the 10+hr battery life is plenty long for our time in the saddle. On solo trips where I might run longer distance on a day, I bring both and just swap headsets at lunch.

Both headsets are paired to my phone at the beginning of the trip. In the morning both of the headsets are full charged. I ride the first half of day on headset A. When I stop for lunch I swap yo headset B and place headset A on the charger in my topbox. When I arrive at camp that night. Headset A is charged back to full and headset B goes on the charger. If you don't have a charger to use while sitting static at camp you can wait till the morning and charge headset B while using headset A during the morning ride.

If you don't have dual headsets, you can add a boost charge while you stop for lunch. And... if that doesn't work... you can always run a cable up your jacket and charge while you are riding/using it. Before I thought of carrying both headsets and swapping mid-day I carried a small USB battery pack and would put it in my top jacket pocket with a short cable to charge me up. So I was wireless from the bike but wired to my jacket.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use a combination of unit's to make sure that never happens. I bought the dual unit so my pillion is happy. And on days she is along the 10+hr battery life is plenty long for our time in the saddle. On solo trips where I might run longer distance on a day, I bring both and just swap headsets at lunch.

Both headsets are paired to my phone at the beginning of the trip. In the morning both of the headsets are full charged. I ride the first half of day on headset A. When I stop for lunch I swap yo headset B and place headset A on the charger in my topbox. When I arrive at camp that night. Headset A is charged back to full and headset B goes on the charger. If you don't have a charger to use while sitting static at camp you can wait till the morning and charge headset B while using headset A during the morning ride.

If you don't have dual headsets, you can add a boost charge while you stop for lunch. And... if that doesn't work... you can always run a cable up your jacket and charge while you are riding/using it. Before I thought of carrying both headsets and swapping mid-day I carried a small USB battery pack and would put it in my top jacket pocket with a short cable to charge me up. So I was wireless from the bike but wired to my jacket.
With my stuff all plugged in, I don't have to worry about any of it...;)

:th1:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
With my stuff all plugged in, I don't have to worry about any of it...;)

:th1:
And with me not being plugged into the bike I don't have to worry about cables and plugs when I get on or off the bike.

Tomato potato.

One more minor bonus to Bluetooth wireless... communication with pillion while she buys snacks inside the store while you are filling bike.
Not to mention the inherent easy intercom with your fellow riders while on the road.

I don't mess with batteries on my heated gear controllers, they are all hardwired and permanent install, but I do with my headset.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
I have the Sena 10...luv it and you can plug it in to charge/use at the same time. So best of both worlds.

Have paired with passenger & other bikes as well.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Is it safe to say that Senna products are now the norm for communications?
Huh?! Why should that be "the norm"?

Ditto...
My Autocom ProM1 works flawless since '99...
Sony stereo, iPod, Garmin satnag, Kenwood radio, etc... all bike powered and wired...
No issues with any BT won't pair or dropping connections, no additional chargers to carry along...

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
Glad to see this thread. I am looking to replace my tired old (10 yr) wired comm system. Searching for feedback on the Sena 20s, in particular.....looks like it will be covered here.

John

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
earching for feedback on the Sena 20s, in particular....
Had a pair of 10's, now I have the 20.

Sound quality is a little better on the 20, better speakers I imagine. Slightly slimmer profile. The standard 20 kit is more installation friendly. Otherwise I haven't noticed much difference.

The 20 does have FM radio built in but I haven't used it. Due to the very small antenna and placement I have yet to hear any MC headset that works good for FM. My normal morning radio station is streamed online so I just use that feed via phone for my morning commute. The evening commute is Pandora, again, through the phone.

I imagine in the future we will see more new features added to the 20 as it is their flagship. The 10's will get just minor updates and bug fixes.

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I just bought a new Garmin Zumo 390LM and since it has Bluetooth capability I bought a Sena SMH 5 (I don't normally ride with others, so no real need for any longer distance rider-to-rider intercom ability) to replace my Garmin 2720 that died after seven years. My initial testing using the Sena paired to my Zumo for voice directions and to my iPhone 6 for music and phone has been really nice. I can be listening to music and if the Zumo needs to give me voice directions the Sena quiets the music and I get the Zumo directions. If I need to make a phone call I just tap a button on the Sena and use Siri to place a call, change the music or whatever. If I need to answer a call I just say "Hello". I've placed and received calls at 60 mph+ and even listened to voicemails I left and to my total amazement the voicemails and people I've talked to said I was completely clear and they could hear no wind noise at all! I know I can pair the iPhone to the Zumo instead of the Sena and still make/receive phone calls, but no music; and to be honest, it was really cool riding down the highway while listening to Born to be Wild and other songs by Steppenwolfe. LOL It's also really nice to step off the bike and not worry about unplugging anything. I can also easily plug in to charge both my iPhone and the Sena via USB ports. Of course I hard-wired the power to the Zumo to keep the battery in it up and charged. The only thing I don't really much care for is the Zumo mount. My old 2720 mount had a mount that locked down via a star-screw, so I really didn't worry about anyone stealing it very quickly, but the Zumo mount only requires pushing a button and it pops right out. I think I'm going to really like this setup, though, because I am impressed with both the Zumo and the Sena so far.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
As I've said in the past and repeat here...
Autocom was/is great. You can add anything to the system and get it to work. It has some advantages over BT com sets.
BT com sets now have good quality sound and an hook SOME things in.

Like anything else, you should know what you need/want the system to do before going to the BT units as you may not be able to get things to function as expected.

I've had 1) chatterbox - total useless above 50mph
2)Autocom - loved it, ran radio, intercom, mp3 player, gps)
3)Sena 10 - love it, I run phone, intercom, music+gps via a bt dongle OR phone , gps+ music ( depends on alone or two up )

IMO, the Sena/BT units work best for me... I don't need alot hooked in and the time is over 10hrs of usage with always on.
Prob the thing I like the most about the Sena is the group chat/connect... when I run with 2-3 others we can all talk at same time

your milage may vary based on your needs for a com system.

PS... yes you can run earbuds, they sell a couple different mounts when you buy...

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I believe Tom is correct about the earbuds and Sena, but not applicable here in Florida--using earbuds while riding is illegal.

Top Bottom