OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
No problems with gloves on the WINCE versions I use - even Gerbing/WarmNSafe ones work.
Agreed, the WINCE version works great with any glove, maybe even better than your finger.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Bad news... the Android version of this device does not work with gloves. :mad:
Paul, try this way. Get a mini (or full-size) stylus and attach it to a leash. I have a mini key (badge) retractor on my handlebar that keeps a stylus for using my droid phone on the bike handy.

I did a write up here a little while back.

In the last 5 years I think I have worn out 2 stylus on the bike, working on the third. I paid $2 for 10 of them... I'm good for awhile.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul, try this way. Get a mini (or full-size) stylus and attach it to a leash. I have a mini key (badge) retractor on my handlebar that keeps a stylus for using my droid phone on the bike handy.
Genius!! I Used to use them on my old Dell PDAs, can't believe I didn't think about that! (bangs head against wall, btw, where's that emoji?)

My old WINCE 5" GPS even came with one in the cradle, but it's not capacitive, just a hard plastic tip. And, I was just about to buy some touch capable gloves.

Thank you, just ordered these.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Just received my Fod Sports and it does not work with gloves. Same boat.
Hi Howard. I just ordered a 10 pack of capacitive stylii to solve this problem. I'd be glad to mail you a few if you like... I don't really need 10 of them. You can even have your choice of colors. ;)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
They're discontinued!!!! I was going to order one today. Can't get them from Chinavasion
I just visited the Chinavasion site and it appears they will be back in stock on October 22 with the Wince version. I've seen them say something was not coming back (done that about 3 times on this GPS) so I'm not surprised! :biggrin:

Yes! We Ship To
Back Soon
Shipping on Oct 22 2018

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS/

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Looks like they are again available. Order placed.

Uncle Phil ... Is it correct that all I have to do is insert my current SD card from the 4.3 in version and the 5 inch should be up and running?

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I ordered one from Chinavasion as they indicated they had stock, When I checked on the order they were out of stock and they refunded my money. There was a seller from China that has a rebranded 5” unit that i just ordered and it’s on it’s way. It may be held up due to a postal strike up here in Canada.
Dean you should be able to swap the card out but you have to go into settings to change the resolution.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looks like they are again available. Order placed.

Uncle Phil ... Is it correct that all I have to do is insert my current SD card from the 4.3 in version and the 5 inch should be up and running?
Dean - You will have to make a change to the sys.text file before you do. If you can email it to me, I'll fix it for you.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
5 in. Chinavasion arrived today. Knowing me, I'll probably have a bunch of questions. Hopefully not.

The first one would be .. what the heck is a TF card? That's the term the 'manual' uses. It says "supports TF card up to 8GB". My Rage card with Primo is 16GB SD. Can I pop it right in, or do I need to copy stuff to an 8GB card (that is if it takes an SD card at all, as opposed to whatever a TF card is.?

Seems this 5 in. version has come with Primo already installed. So again, what do I do concerning my current card?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Looks like TF stands for TransFlash. Earlier name for SD and can be used interchangeably.
If GPS unit says ""supports TF card up to 8GB". can my current 16GB card then not be used?
If Primo is installed internally, should it not be present on the SD card that I will be using.
What files/folders should I have on the card. No maps on unit as shipped.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
DeanR said:
If GPS unit says ""supports TF card up to 8GB". can my current 16GB card then not be used?
Hard to say. Give it a try. A device may be tested to work well with one size such as 8G. Or that may have been the biggest card at the time of testing. Depending on the controller used, a bigger card might be recognized.

And as I clicked Post I realized Unc would probably know.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hard to say. Give it a try. A device may be tested to work well with one size such as 8G. Or that may have been the biggest card at the time of testing. Depending on the controller used, a bigger card might be recognized. And as I clicked Post I realized Unc would probably know.
Give it a try. You select which 'drive' the unit runs on. If it reads your SD card, then you're fine. If it doesn't, then you'll need a 8 GB one. The 'current' 5 Inch from Chinavasion says it will take up to a 16GB SD card. If you bought the unit on EBay or Amazon, you have gotten a GEN 1 unit instead of a GEN 2 - which is not a problem.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
Chinavision is out of stock so I e-mailed them last month asking when they expect to have them back in stock.
https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS/

They sent a response saying the item was discontinued and they can't sell it. Not sure why they can't sell it, no other info was offered.

I found the same unit on Gadgets for Cheap so I ordered one from China from them.
https://www.gadgetsforcheap.com/product/5-inch-motorcycle-gps/

I sent them an e-mail a couple of days after I ordered it and they said it had been shipped and a tracking number would be available soon. I kept sending mail every couple of days but there was no response. I sent them mail a month after I placed the order through PayPal during the creation of a dispute I opened and still no response. A week later (last week) I engaged PayPal to hopefully bring this issue to a resolution. PayPal said it would be a week or 2 before a final decision was made.
Edit: I received a mail from PayPal this morning 12/30/18 ruling in my favor with a full refund.

DON'T order from Gadgets for Cheap!!!

I was hoping to get one in my hands to use on a month long trip to Arizona and California starting the 2nd of Feb but shipping from China usually takes weeks or longer... Sigh, I have an older smaller GPS that I'll use if I can't get a 5" unit before then. I'm too cheap to pony up for the 5" Zumo unit...

Last edited:

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
There was a recent thread on using a cell phone for navigation that had several rdwrs suggesting apps. That may be another option.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Chinavasion says they are not making them, then turn around and have them. This has happened probably 3-4 times. Most (not all) of the other sources get them from Chinavasion. So if you see the units at other places (like EBay), verify that they have them in hand. I contacted one EBay seller who showed them as 'US Ship' and in hand. He admitted that he got his from Chinavasion and had not checked lately - and Chinavasion was out of them. ;) I'd like to find the 'original' manufacturer to see if they would sell direct to consumers.

Top Bottom