Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
No success with the 'hack' as of yet. I actually loaded a REGEDIT for WIN CE but since you don't have a 'keyboard' to do input, you can only look but not change. I have the settings to allow visibility of the OS which would open the GPS up to be used for a lot of other functions. On the GPS, you can actually 'execute' any program that will run on WIN CE by downloading to the micro SD then pointing the 'nav path' to the .exe and pressing the NAVIGATION icon. But as I said, if the 'hack' messes up, the GPS turns into an expensive brick! :D

Bike
ST1300
I tried the opposite, not setting a different resolution for the device, but getting the skin to work with the higher resolution.
I installed the skin that was used as the basis for the moto edition, as that works with the higher resolution, which works. Then I tried to find where the moto edition was different and replaced the files in the skin with those.
That worked to a degree, some things typical for the moto version where now there. But not the most interesting feature with the handling of waypoints. Although I did replace files to do with route planning.

At least with this kind of messing around I don't have to be afraid of bricking it.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pieterv - The 'best' part of the MC mod is the waypoint handling for me. Since I'm used to working with Windows registry as a IT Tech, I'm not overly concerned about messing something up. I think if I could find the proper 'hack' to get to the root operating system, there would be a lot more 'options' I could access. My hunch is the fix would be as simple as reducing the default resolution under control panel to less than 800X480. It appears that it is as simple as changing a few values in the registry from 0 to 1 and the operating system button then appears.

Bike
ST1300
The 'best' part of the MC mod is the waypoint handling for me.
Agree with you there.

Good luck, do keep us up to date. There are reg editors for Wince that run off a PC (couldn't get it to work, though).

I was considering Miopocket (http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136798), but there are reports of the install going wrong, it does open up extra possibilities, but I left well enough alone. Miopocket Mini seems to be less high risk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pieterv - Already read that. I downloaded the REGEDIT that he points to, but it no longer has the EXPORT option. That's the one I got up and running and could look at the registry but could not modify it because I couldn't export it. What he did was export the registry, modified it on a PC, imported it back in and then he could get to WINCE. I tried ceFFM but it failed on installation.

Assuming your using RegEdit
When your copying RegEdit onto your card create a empty text file called 'export.reg'. As you will not have any keyboard until we can get into CE so you can't edit the registry directly on your device.
Get RegEdit running, under the file menu there is a little drop down box, (there was no drop downbox in the version in the link he gave) select CUser here. In the window below double tap on OEM then ShellEx. Scroll to the bottom and select with a single tap WinCe.
On the file menu tap export and in the dialog the opens find the export.reg file you created and click OK. Accept any warning about over writing this file.
You now need to go back to your PC and connect or insert the SD card and edit this file. Change file so enable is set to '1'.
Put your SD card back or disconnect, fire up RegEdit and use file - import the export.reg file to change the key.
Restart the rage and under the setting menu you 'should' have a new button WinCe clicking this will drop you out of the Rage frontend into the CE shell.
You will then have a CE keyboard for further use of regedit.

I tried the other RegEdit in the other post further down and it has CUSER, etc., but when you come to EXPORT it wants you to enter a file name - which you can't because there is no keyboard. But thanks for staying after it. Still researching ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I was making some progress until the RESET button jammed! So I guess I'll be sending this one back for repairs. I did manage to get a REGEDIT and a Keyboard program running on the unit before trouble struck.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
UP, this starts looking to get complicated... ;-)
(I'm lurking since a couple of pages now)

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Martin - Only because I'm a 'bit fiddler' by trade. :D If what I think will work, it actually be rather simple once you have the procedure documented. If you had access to the base operating system, there is a lot more neat stuff you could actually do on the unit besides the GPS function. ;-) If I get it sorted, I will make some simple instructions to do it. However, if you are happy with the IGO8 base software or Primo 2.4 base without the special MC mods, it is as simple as copying the software to the microsd, setting the nav path and away you go! At this point I am very impressed with the new 5" GPS and the quick time it finds satellites. And the backlighting is much better on these models.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
So from what I understand, the MC mods give you glove friendly buttons and a more convenient way to handle waypoints. Is there anything else worthwhile?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
So from what I understand, the MC mods give you glove friendly buttons and a more convenient way to handle waypoints. Is there anything else worthwhile?
Yes the program loads quicker, has background colours that don't wash out in direct sunlight as much as the original IGO8 program. There appears to be more real estate given to the actual map versus toolbar buttons. There is also suppose to be a more scenic route versus the fast and furious routing.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
Ok, now I see why the MC Skin is better, and why UP is working so hard to make it run on the 5" model. Thank you for the clarification.

I'm definitely interested, but I think I'll wait until after NatSTOC to see if anyone has one that I can look at and play with before I drop coin on one.

Duke

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, the MC Version is a great step above IGO8 with the features mentioned above, but then IGO8 works pretty well (used on several Alaska trips and in New Zealand). The MC Version also has a nice one I discovered - If you stop and 'edit' your route in mid-flight, the first 'waypoint' is your current position. So you delete any following waypoints that you wish. Also, if you decide to reload another route, you can do it, kill the waypoints up to your current position and proceed from there. I am still exploring it and they are still working on it! It runs on the Rage without any trouble and on the Gen 1 5", just not the Gen 2 5". Hopefully, the folks working on MC 1.9 mod will come out with MC 1.10 that supports 800X480 resolution, then we will be good to go!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I ordered the 5" Chinavasion on Friday 5/29. It was supposed to ship in 24 hours but it's not shipped yet and I don't know when I'll get it. Today, they said it was out of stock and then it magically appeared in their warehouse. I ordered 3 day priority shipping but still don't know if I'll get it in time for my trip, leaving on June 11. If I don't, that's going to be a major let down since my routing will be far from the fastest or shortest. Might just make my trip more interesting though! ;)

FYI, my problems were compounded by the fraud protection on my CC. It was declined the first time and I had to verify with my CC company that it was actually me that was making the transaction. I lost about a day due to that. Lesson learned... check with your CC company before ordering from China.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Paul - Did you pick DHL as the shipping method? I did and ordered mine last one on Sunday and had it in hand on Thursday. Be advised though the package will require a signature - at least all of mine have that come by 'courier' other than postal service. And have you already got the software?

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the info UP. Don't have the software yet, planned to order this week after I saw the 5" device was shipped. I did choose DHL, we'll see what happens...

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Being a persistent sort of feller, I got the RESET button 'unstuck'. My REGEDIT hack allowed me to get to the WINCE desktop on the GPS so I could check the screen resolution via the CONTROL PANEL. But the DISPLAY option in WINCE 6 does not have a resolution option like the 'normal' Windows desktop, so changing it ain't an option. But at least now I know and you could add all sorts of stuff to run under WINCE 6 if a person was so minded. Hopefully we'll see a 800X480 resolution option in the MC 1.X update when they have some time to fuss with it.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So far, my 5" hasn't been shipped even though they tell me everyday that it will be. When I 'chat' with them, they lie to me every time. Their website says in stock, 'chat' says not in stock but "will be in stock tomorrow". They've said that for 4 days now. Kinda like free beer tomorrow. Still have a few days so maybe I'll get it in time.

Top Bottom