SF to GB for Father's Day - Route Advice?

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
The old man's gonna be 84 in a couple of months, and my brother says he's slowing down, so I decided to ride back home to surprise him on Father's Day next month. I'm getting caught up in map details and struggling to figure out a good route so I'm looking for help. I don't mind interstate miles, but would prefer them for skipping the really slow sections or maybe getting through the desert quickly. Technically I'm doing Berkeley to Sturgeon Bay, WI, but once I'm near WI, it's good enough as I know where I'm headed once I get to MN or IA unless there is a must-ride route. So I'm mostly looking for route suggestions to get to the plains states and I'd like to see some things on the way.

I'm planning to carry a tent/bag, but not planning to do any actual camping if there's a motel available that's not a dump. I'm not against camping, though - just not carrying a stove and such items to do it for real.

I think other than potentially a fresh set of front pads, the bike is ready for showtime. My time budget is ten days, but I don't think my boss is going to bust my chops if I'm overdue on getting back. I can leave Saturday the 12th, but I have to be there that Sunday. If I get there early, I'll go see my niece in Madison. Coming back is open-ended.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
...I'm getting caught up in map details and struggling to figure out a good route so I'm looking for help...Thoughts?
Only have general plan to head east, coming back head west; change plan route daily to fit what you feel like doing. Done it many times - best advice avoid dark green, yellow, or red on weather radar.

Tom

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills of South Dakota, Wyoming State Highway 487, and the Million Dollar Highway (US 550) in Colorado are all great if you like curvy mountain roads and can fit them into your route and schedule.

There are so many things to see that it's hard to make a short list, but here are a few things I enjoyed on my Rocky Mtn trip in '18: Carhenge in Alliance, Nebraska; Crazy Horse Memorial near Rapid City, SD (see the evening show); Mount Evans, Colorado (highest paved road in North America, over 14,000 ft).

Please post pictures and a write-up of your trip; I really enjoy seeing everyone's ride reports.

Top Bottom