Shad Panniers on VSTrom 650 2017

Bike
VStrom 650
Howdy folks.
Just wondering if anyone out there in the other bike land is using Shad panniers.
I'm thinking of putting the SH35's on the B. VSTrom 650 2017.
Is anyone using the 3P mount system and their inner bags?
Any thoughts would be very welcome.
Upt'North.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Shad sounds a lot like Shite. At least that's what Givi / Kappa said.

I think they are all about the same. Made as inexpensively as possible to be somewhat reliable and sold at the maximum possible price that they can get away with.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Shad sounds a lot like Shite. At least that's what Givi / Kappa said.

I think they are all about the same. Made as inexpensively as possible to be somewhat reliable and sold at the maximum possible price that they can get away with.
Not sure any of that is helpful......damn Colonials.....The Shad are a nice looking Pannier and significantly cheaper, which is nice.
The reviews online are good, but who believes them?
But thanks anyway treasure.
Upt'North.

Reactions: Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I looked at Shad stuff, as it's significant cheaper (less expensive) over here vs Givi.

In the end I ended up will all Givi stuff as I acquired it used (3 top cases & 6 pannier cases.) I have a mix of their Monokey & Monolock stuff.

I'd say the Shad stuff is no better or worse. If it's less coin out of your pocket, lasts OK and you like the looks of it, then go for it.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I have Kriega soft luggage on my v strom.Very happy. Any of bags etc require bike specific mounts,ten usually another place.Don’t expect anything to be CHEAP .

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I am using the SH 23s with the three point mount on my X300 Versys. I do like the three point mount as it is not as visually intrusive as the square frames of other manufactures. And I am happy with the Shad panniers. Much better than the OEM Kawasaki ones for my X300.

SAM_2875.JPGSAM_2879.JPGSAM_2880.JPGSAM_2882.JPG

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I am using the SH 23s with the three point mount on my X300 Versys. I do like the three point mount as it is not as visually intrusive as the square frames of other manufactures. And I am happy with the Shad panniers. Much better than the OEM Kawasaki ones for my X300.

SAM_2875.JPGSAM_2879.JPGSAM_2880.JPGSAM_2882.JPG
Thanks Chuck.
Good info on the 3P mount. They do look much neater than the Kappa/Givi iron work and probably hold the bags a little closer.
The 23's unfortunately may be a little small for two up nonsense.
Upt'North.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Thanks Chuck.
Good info on the 3P mount. They do look much neater than the Kappa/Givi iron work and probably hold the bags a little closer.
The 23's unfortunately may be a little small for two up nonsense.
Upt'North.
Agree on the 23's being a bit too small for your application. Just wanted to show how the 3 points look. Had my V-Strom not come with the adventure boxes / panniers I would have gone with what you are looking at, the SH 35s

SAM_5712.JPG

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Agree on the 23's being a bit too small for your application. Just wanted to show how the 3 points look. Had my V-Strom not come with the adventure boxes / panniers I would have gone with what you are looking at, the SH 35s

SAM_5712.JPG
Chuck, great picture, I think it confirms the 35's would suit a pillion better......perhaps?
What screen are you using?
Have you lowered the pegs, I've used Cymarc 1 inch lowerers. Getting the seat raised later this month.
Thanks again.
Upt'North.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Chuck, great picture, I think it confirms the 35's would suit a pillion better......perhaps?
What screen are you using?
Have you lowered the pegs, I've used Cymarc 1 inch lowerers. Getting the seat raised later this month.
Thanks again.
Upt'North.
I have a MRA screen, German Made through Twisted Throttle. https://mra.de/en I have the pegs lowered with the kit that Adventure Tech makes. https://www.adventuretech.biz/ And I just bought a used Sargent Seat that has been modified by a local seat builder from a local seller. Found him on the Strom Trooper forum. https://www.stromtrooper.com/search/?t=post Oh I see you are in the UK. You all have much better aftermarket selection .

Last edited:

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I have Shad SH23 panniers on my Crosstourer (the same panniers as in post #6). I agree that the mounting system is nicely unobtrusive and I like that they're top-loading. I'd say that even though these are bottom of the Shad range, their quality isn't "shite" by any means. And the SH35s look much posher and of better quality than these are - probably close to Givi standard.

20220326_152409.jpg

These panniers came with the bike, and as mentioned they're a bit small: I considered getting the SH35s but I think they'd make my bike's bum look fat. :biggrin: SH35s look pretty decent to me, would look very smart on the WeeStrom.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
What they lack in looks, they make up for in toughness. Pelican cases mounted with Happy Trails rack system. I think price is reasonable considering the quality and strength of the whole package.
IMG_20221107_143118844_HDR~2.jpg
Mounted on my '13 Wee.
The top case is a Harbor Freight clone, didn't think it would hit the ground when it takes a nap.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
I have a friend with Shad bags on his Triumph 1055 sprint. They look nice; hold all of his gear, and seem reasonably well made.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I had the adventure panniers on my Wee. The squared shape holds a whole lot more unneeded camping gear than the rounded ones. Plus, the metal panniers make pretty good tip over bars.

John

D50B7EA4-3E73-43D7-BC5E-08A52B17C911.jpeg

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I had the adventure panniers on my Wee. The squared shape holds a whole lot more unneeded camping gear than the rounded ones. Plus, the metal panniers make pretty good tip over bars.

John

D50B7EA4-3E73-43D7-BC5E-08A52B17C911.jpeg
John, me o'd mucka. Ali panniers would be on the cards, but on the 2017+ they seem to encroach too much on pillion space. The juries still out at the moment.
Thanks for your input bud.
Ray.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
John, me o'd mucka. Ali panniers would be on the cards, but on the 2017+ they seem to encroach too much on pillion space. The juries still out at the moment.
Thanks for your input bud.
Ray.
Glad to see you didn't ask for advice on a smaller pillion.....

Smart man.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Glad to see you didn't ask for advice on a smaller pillion.....

Smart man.
Very astute my colonial buddy. And for the purpose of the tape (remember them) I would like to clarify that Er'Indoors is perfect in every way. As for er size, any bigger and I wouldn't be up to the job and any smaller she'd slip through my hands.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom