Shad SH40 Topbox.

Bike
2006 ST1300
New guy to the forum here. I purchased a 2006 ST1300 that came with what I believe is SH40 topbox. I have found that the "universal" mounting plate is not so "universal" (best I can figure its part # D1B40PAR). The way it was mounted on the bike the plastic plate was banging off the grab bars and rubbing off the paint. The plate was attached by only two screws that were in the front most plate holes. In the picture you can see the yellow/brass brackets in the plate. Additionally there was no way to remove the rear seat without taking off the top case and plate. There is also no option for securing to the rear most two screws without doing surgery to the mounting plate (read drilling). Looking to see if there is a better option for mounting this Shad top case or if an ST1100 mounting plate available from Shad might work.

Thanks,
Shadow

Attachments

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I can't speak for the 1100, but that is the same mounting plate I have on my 1300. however the top box is different, mine is larger. The front two holes fit existing holes on my bike, but I had to drill two holes to add the rear bolts. Sounds like the PO mounted yours too far forward.

OP
OP
shadowknows977
Bike
2006 ST1300
I can't speak for the 1100, but that is the same mounting plate I have on my 1300. however the top box is different, mine is larger. The front two holes fit existing holes on my bike, but I had to drill two holes to add the rear bolts. Sounds like the PO mounted yours too far forward.
Is that the box and plate mounted in your profile photo? No other plate under the plastic, i.e., its attached straight to the bike?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
New guy to the forum here. I purchased a 2006 ST1300 that came with what I believe is SH40 topbox. I have found that the "universal" mounting plate is not so "universal" (best I can figure its part # D1B40PAR). The way it was mounted on the bike the plastic plate was banging off the grab bars and rubbing off the paint. The plate was attached by only two screws that were in the front most plate holes. In the picture you can see the yellow/brass brackets in the plate. Additionally there was no way to remove the rear seat without taking off the top case and plate. There is also no option for securing to the rear most two screws without doing surgery to the mounting plate (read drilling). Looking to see if there is a better option for mounting this Shad top case or if an ST1100 mounting plate available from Shad might work.

Thanks,
Shadow
I installed a top box onto my 1100 five years back. It came with an adapter plate that would not fit the hole pattern on the grab rail assembly. So I drilled out the mount plate to fit. I was concerned when I noticed the mount contacted the grab rails. So, I used a combination of spacers and washers from Ace hardware to elevate the mount plate just above the grab rail and parallel with the ground...different length spacers front and rear on the ST1100. Large OD fender washers spread the load into the mount locations of the box itself. You may want to do similar with your situation.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I think I found one of the last ST-1300 adapters for SHAD on ebay a couple of years ago. The part number was H0PN12ST. Its listed on Amazon here but is out of stock. What I did before getting the plate was to use/cut and aluminum plate and drill holes to match the ones SHAD rack and on the ST. I then use bolts with spacers. It worked fine, except the actual rack pushes the top box further back so your pillion has more room.

View media item 316
View media item 317
It might not be obvious, but the first picture shows the top box mounted with my homemade bracket and the second with the official one from Shad. You can see that part of the rear seat is covered with my bracket.

I guess its not really a problem if you don't ride 2 up. Or you could probably design a better adapter that would push the box further back. If you search here, I think there is a thread of someone else making an adapter plate.

OP
OP
shadowknows977
Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes, I can remove the seats with the top box mounted on the bike.
Looking more closely at your photos I'm thinking you might have the Shad plate # D1B48PAR
Vice the one I have...
D1B40PAR. Regardless I'll need the drill and some bits from the hardware store.

Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Check this out first. I have a shad 50 box.

OP
OP
shadowknows977
Bike
2006 ST1300
The link for the ST1300 is broken. The link for the ST1100 works. The drop down box for the SH50 "top mount" doesn't have an option for either bike.

Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
The link for the ST1300 is broken. The link for the ST1100 works. The drop-down box for the SH50 "top mount" doesn't have an option for either bike.
Suggest giving them a call to let them know. Parts should still be available. Once you have the bike-specific mount installed, you can install any of their top boxes, per their statement.

Last edited:
I think I found one of the last ST-1300 adapters for SHAD on ebay a couple of years ago. The part number was H0PN12ST. Its listed on Amazon here but is out of stock. What I did before getting the plate was to use/cut and aluminum plate and drill holes to match the ones SHAD rack and on the ST. I then use bolts with spacers. It worked fine, except the actual rack pushes the top box further back so your pillion has more room.
I ordered the H0PN12ST on ebay from Spain, and just received it. I believe he has some more, if anyone is interested. The price for shipping was about the same price as the bracket, but I couldn't find it anywhere else. I wanted that bracket to mount by Shad SH59x top box.

OP
OP
shadowknows977
Bike
2006 ST1300
Looks like both you and bstig have a different shad plate than I do. I've got the "40" variant while it appears you all have the "48." Regardless I'll check out the ebay guy in Spain. Thanks for the tip.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Problem with that page is that the ST1300 takes you to a "404 Not found" page. The ST-1100 page works, however.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Click on the mounts tab, it shows the 1300 mount.
Still no joy for me. I went to the "Products... Fitting Kits... Mounting Kits" tab, tried to select "Honda... ST-1300" but still got the 404 error. I just noticed that the "other" ST is an ST-1000 and looks suspiciously like an ST-1300!

Still no joy for me. I went to the "Products... Fitting Kits... Mounting Kits" tab, tried to select "Honda... ST-1300" but still got the 404 error. I just noticed that the "other" ST is an ST-1000 and looks suspiciously like an ST-1300!
Yes, I saw the same thing back on Wednesday - I'd say contact them.

Top Bottom