Shaft Drive Leak

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hello folks,
All my previous bikes were chain drive so I haven't acquired experience with a shaft drive yet. So here is my problem: About a month ago I changed the rear tire, (after reading every step by step in the forum I could find), and everything went smooth. I rode the bike for about 1000km (600miles) and then last week I noticed i have oil on my back rim. So the bike stayed in the garage for a week. Last night I took some pictures and cleaned the rim to be able to see what was happening. There seem to be two different type of oil. One was clear yellowish color (this is probably the grease I put on the axle bolt) and then a very black oil. The black oil did smell bad but not as strong as the gear oil I put in when I changed my wheel. You will see from the pictures that the oil is leaking from the bottom of the shaft where there is a square notch in the plastic cover.

I initially thought that I could have put too much gear oil in but it would be weird for it to start leaking so late. Then I thought it could be too much Moly on the spine but then moly doesn't turn to liquid. So by the power of elimination I am starting to believe it is leaking gear oil. A busted seal of something.... But I am not sure how the shaft is built. So I was wondering if you folks had any idea as to what is the problem?

Last night after the rim was clean I placed a tissue paper on the rim to catch any dripping oil. This morning the tissue paper was dry (bike was on center stand), so i have to assume that it only leaks while riding.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...not as strong as the gear oil I put in when I changed my wheel.
Was the bike on the center stand or side stand when you filled the pumpkin? If it's the latter, you will have put in too much oil.

Was this a routine change? The gear oil doesn't have to be drained when the rear wheel is removed.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
Both good questions. The bike was on the center stand when i filled it with oil. And well I changed the oil as I bought the bike with 40k and I didn't have a service history so I just went ahead and changed it so that I know when to change it next.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sounds like a simple seal failure to me.. they do happen, it's not common.

I would check to make sure your shock or brake lines aren't leaking just in case you're seeing where the fluid ends up and not the source of the leak.

I'd pull the wheel again and see what the final drive inside looks like, hard to tell much without more investigation.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
So after 24 hours on the center stand no dripping oil. Last night i placed the bike on the side stand and this morning nothing. Tonight I will try to remove the wheel and check things closely.

Thanks

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last edited:
So after 24 hours on the center stand no dripping oil.
How about you leave it on the center stand for 15-30 minutes, then with the bike in neutral, spin the rear tire 20 or so revolutions to get things moving against seals and see if you get any leaks.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
So it turns out there were threes seals at fault. It's in the shop now and 500$ later I'll be riding again.

Thanks for all the information.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Hmm, this has been seen to happen on NT650 and NT700V models in the UK when overfilled, in these cases it was being breathed out at the breather on the top of the FD....

The oil seals on the final drive can also leak and I guess this is where they have identified the problem as being, didn't know there are three though!

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
So a week and a half later and still no wheels. Called the shop and they are still waiting for the COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY (part# 41320-MCS-G00). The other parts dust seal (part# 91268-463-003) and oil seal (Part# 91265-MY3-003) have arrived. The seals ok fine, i understand they wear out, but the cover sounds a little fishy. I can't see that it would leak unless it was cracked or something. I will ask the shop to show me the old parts.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I smell somthing fishy....I personally have never seen 3 seals go out on a rear driveshaft.
When you changed the oil did you replace the filler plug o-ring? Or at the very least inspect it and place grease on it as instructed in the manual?
These can leak down and get behind that plastic ring and APPEAR to be leaking. I would question if the shop is taking you for a ride?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Maverick, the shop should be able to show you your current Cover and Case and how it is leaking. If they pull that cover off the case, then replacing the two seals is just good practice. I'm also curious as to how the Cover is failed...it is the first that I've heard of.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now I'm just speculating, but the cover might of had a hair line crack in it before you took it in and they induced the crack when they separated the 2 parts when disassembling the final drive. Find out if they could tell you which of the 3 seals where leaking or was it leaking from the case cover crack(if there is one). That surface only requires Honda bond (form a gasket). Also, they may of pryed off the cover and damaged the sealing surfaces.
I can't see 3 seals leaking, but they might need them depending on how far they disassembled your final drive.
Also in the service manual, it calls to replace O-rings and washers, fill the lip seals with grease when assembling and loctite on some of the fasteners. You might sound like a pest, just make sure they do it right the first time.
Best of Luck on the repairs:tools1:

Top Bottom