ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
That's is when you know you've made it as a motorcyclist :D
I remember my first nod
Quite interesting, I mean I generally wave at bike cops out of reflex, but on my ST1100 I'd also received "thumbs up" from plod sitting in cruisers...
Maybe acknowledgement of "OK, he's silent, OEM, not reckless at totally unreasonable speeds... thanx for saving us work..." :biggrin:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Ahaaaa. Well in this country I have tried to nod of wave at Police before, but they are generally forbidden to do it when on duty I believe.
Well, since you drive on ze wrong side of ze road on your island, the left hand wave won't be much use as gone unseen... ;)
I'd learned that you "greet" by tilting your head to the right while around the British Isles... so no letting go of the bars, nor taking your eyes off the road ahead...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... I find there are many miserable plebs who just stare back at you.
Commonly those with a blue/white propeller badge on their rig can't condescend themselves to a salute... ;)

And generally is the ST attributed with the "old geezer bike" image by some... until you start to ride circles around them out there... :rofl1:
JuST two weeks ago we attended a safety training and I still feel the silent stares over the 1100 scurrying between those cones like a mountain bike... :cool:
And also my GF (who organized the training appointments for both of us) gets along very well there on her NT700... she also has no mercy when grabbing those brakes, the NT stops on a dime, rock solid...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
So with motorcycles it seems to be like having kids:

From the first moment I got her that NT, it's her one and all sweetheart...
but as soon as something shows a glitch I hear "... your motorcycle is acting up ..." :rofl1:

Yeah-right, suddenly it's mine again... ;)

Minor stuff actually, RHS indicator/turn-signals showed a brief delay upon flicking the lever (I'm impressed that she actually noticed that though :cool: )...
I was positive that it can't be the switch-pod as I'd serviced them right when we got the NT...

Turned out that the relays connector, despite the rubber boot over the shell, had a minor contact issue.
Simply unplug - reconnect and it works promptly again.
Will give it a whiff ACF-50 the next time we're at the shed...

Anyway, see that you inspect and service all exposed connections and switch-gears in the fall/winter season...

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
So with motorcycles it seems to be like having kids:

From the first moment I got her that NT, it's her one and all sweetheart...
but as soon as something shows a glitch I hear "... your motorcycle is acting up ..." :rofl1:

Yeah-right, suddenly it's mine again... ;)

Minor stuff actually, RHS indicator/turn-signals showed a brief delay upon flicking the lever (I'm impressed that she actually noticed that though :cool: )...
I was positive that it can't be the switch-pod as I'd serviced them right when we got the NT...

Turned out that the relays connector, despite the rubber boot over the shell, had a minor contact issue.
Simply unplug - reconnect and it works promptly again.
Will give it a whiff ACF-50 the next time we're at the shed...

Anyway, see that you inspect and service all exposed connections and switch-gears in the fall/winter season...
When my wife and i disagreed, i always got the last two words in!
Yes dear!

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
When my wife and i disagreed, i always got the last two words in!
LOL :biggrin:
Nah, not married, we're far from that, all is just pun here...
(and I haven't told her that I fixed it yet... sneaked out while she was over at her "ancestor's", waiting if she'll notice tomorrow morning ;) )

Bike
ST1100 02 Blue
LOL :biggrin:
Nah, not married, we're far from that, all is just pun here...
(and I haven't told her that I fixed it yet... sneaked out while she was over at her "ancestor's", waiting if she'll notice tomorrow morning ;) )
"if she''ll notice tomorrow morning" HA HA ! You do know that "she" is a member of this forum ,don't you ? lol.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Finally got around installing it:

IMG_20220212_182004.jpg IMG_20220212_182027.jpg IMG_20220212_182053.jpg

I like the more discreet appearance, mimicking the lines, nooks & crannies of the Honda fairing; not "bloated" like the previous, black PUIG thing...

While at it I also replaced the 12V/5V USB supply for the Garmin satnav (the one supplied with the unit suffered broken 5V cables due poor production) plus prepared wiring/power supply for the heated handles she'll likes to have for the trip to Norway... ;)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Looks good, Michael.
I'm Martin... :cool:
Michael is the (ex) pilot with the rolled over ST1100... ;)

Did y'all get to ride in January?
Nah!
Our climate zone has temps below freezing, snowfall, ice, sleet, etc... during winter...
Roads are gritted and covered with road salt by the service crews, so not truly inviting conditions for about 3 months...
But my GF is pretty brave and weathers through from Feb/March till Oct/Nov on her NT...

Just ordered her these muffs for improved comfort:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm Martin... :cool:
Michael is the (ex) pilot with the rolled over ST1100... ;)

Just ordered her these muffs for improved comfort:
Uh-oh, I've done it again.
Sorry, Martin! (Just consider the source.)
I've never had those over mitts, but have come close a couple times. If sealed well, they should do the trick!
It still bugs me, when the occasional ride says "I can't use those, because I have to see the controls!"
pffftttt.
Am I being judgemental?

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It still bugs me, when the occasional ride says "I can't use those, because I have to see the controls!"
Same arguments on my side, but she wants them, thus has to find that out for herself :smile-popcorn:

I've excellent insulated GoreTex gloves with long gauntlets fitting under/inside the jacket sleeves so rarely use the grip heaters.
But on the NT she's way more exposed to the airflow then me behind the big ST fairing...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Guess who's causing havoc on the streets again... :biggrin:

Some drive spline maintenance (minor seepage, no oil, only too much Gn-plus the last time ;) ), replaced her worn down foam grips, some pre-flight checks and a wipe-down...
vrooom & off she goes... :cool:

Seems I got the hang of my tire mounting machine & technique... they didn't loose a drop of air...
Cleaning the rim beads with a nylon brush attached to the cordless drill, new valve-stems and lots of mounting paste do the trick :cool:

The inner weights for the second handlebar will arrive next week, can install the grip-heaters on it then...

Top Bottom