For Loan Shim kit ST1100/ST1300

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
John, Todd or others for that matter, when should the valves be checked on a relatively new bike. I bought mine used at 10300 kms and after this trip have 16700 on her. That's 6180 and now 10020 miles i believe.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
John, Todd or others for that matter, when should the valves be checked on a relatively new bike. I bought mine used at 10300 kms and after this trip have 16700 on her. That's 6180 and now 10020 miles i believe.
For the ST1300 the first valve check is at the 16,000 mile service (I believe that's about 25,600km).

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Is there still a shim kit avail from anyone? I have the following results from two separate checks last night (couple changed for the better, couple changed for the worse) but have no idea what sizes are currently under the buckets. When I pull the cams, I'd like to have a variety available vs having to pull them, measure current shims, calculate new and then find what I need.

1588421609709.png1588421649863.png

Thanks in advance!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Is there still a shim kit avail from anyone? I have the following results from two separate checks last night (couple changed for the better, couple changed for the worse) but have no idea what sizes are currently under the buckets. When I pull the cams, I'd like to have a variety available vs having to pull them, measure current shims, calculate new and then find what I need.

Thanks in advance!
Following

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

Thanks in advance!
not sure exactly what's in the ST1100 shim kit that John loans out, but the hot shims kits that are available for purchase only increment in 0.050mm steps, rather than 0.025mm steps. Usually not that big a deal, because if you're out by enough to bother swapping shims, you've got at least 2 steps to play with anyway. But, if you have a valve that keeps getting tighter, you may want to set it to the loose end of the range, which might require 3 steps instead of 2. And, once you pull the cams, you can see if there's any desired shim sizes available in the ones you're removing anyway, sometimes you can swap them around. Finally, there's nothing Honda specific about the shims either, you can use any 7.48mm shim from any maker, they're all the same.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Thanks @John OoSTerhuis. I'm not registered w/ an STOC number, so can't post on the other site to inquire as to the kit. Didn't realize the kit was STOC-member specific, since it was mentioned here. Will prob just get a kit myself then rather than join yet another website to keep up on.

And agree @dwalby, that the steps may not be that inconvenient in the HotShims kit, but haven't pulled cams yet (ever) and with the mention about someone else having to hold the tensioner on the right bank while they're out, I'd rather have a selection available to put back in w/o losing hold of the tensioner and creating more problems for myself during the swap. Need to read up on exactly what's involved with that before taking any out, since I'll likely be doing it all myself. Also prob won't have all 4 out at the same time to see what sizes are currently under all the buckets for switching any around before having to add new ones to the mix. That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! Will update in my mx thread tracking all of this. Thanks for the replies!

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
I just sent an e-mail to Eric Russell per the instructions on ST-Riders as I need to borrow the shim kit for my ST1300

EDIT: Eric has a kit for the ST1100...

I read through this thread again and I see that TDillman has the kit I need so I sent a PM

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
Update: TDillman doesn't know where the shim kit is and he stated that he no longer follows this forum

I sent a PM on Saturday to Soontobeone who seems to be the last one who borrowed the kit according to this thread. So far there has been no response.

Does anyone know who might have the shim kit?

Bike
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
I sent Soontobeone a message, the profile indicates last activity in April 2020, Hopefully he or she will respond and can get the kit back into circulation. I would like to shim my valves before an annual ride I make with some local friends.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I sent Soontobeone a message, the profile indicates last activity in April 2020, Hopefully he or she will respond and can get the kit back into circulation. I would like to shim my valves before an annual ride I make with some local friends.
Wow. I had to check my records. I used the shim kit in June 2016. I had to wait for a shim that I ordered to add back to the kit before I returned it. I sent the kit out the next day. I'll see if I can find out to whom I sent it.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I checked my records and it took until middle July 2016 to receive the shim, and then I shipped the kit back to the original owner of the kit. He said he had someone local who was in need of it. That's all I have.

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
I ended up purchasing individual shims at Rocky Mountain ATV, currently $2 each. They ship quickly, good service.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/922/26634/Pro-X-Valve-Shim

The downside to not having the kit is you need to check the valve clearances, pull the cams to check the size of the shims for any of the valves that are out of spec, then put everything back together, order the shims, wait for them to arrive in a week or so the disassemble everything for a second time to install the new shims...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I ended up purchasing individual shims at Rocky Mountain ATV, currently $2 each. They ship quickly, good service.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/922/26634/Pro-X-Valve-Shim

The downside to not having the kit is you need to check the valve clearances, pull the cams to check the size of the shims for any of the valves that are out of spec, then put everything back together, order the shims, wait for them to arrive in a week or so the disassemble everything for a second time to install the new shims...
I would have thought metro Seattle would have a few m/c shops around to buy from rather than have to order them online. But $2/each is a good price. Another thing that doesn't hurt to ask is to take your unneeded shims to the shop with you and see if they'll swap for the sizes you need for cheaper than buying them outright. Back in the old days that was fairly easy to do if you frequented the same shop regularly, I'd usually be able to swap them for free in those days.

Top Bottom