Shinko Verge 011 Tires

A report on the tires, wet traction is great, ride is noticeably better than the Roadmaster III 's I had on it, especially 2 up. Like others have said, there is a slight weave (?)
Never had any sort of weave with 011's. Lucky or my brain tuned out the anomaly.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I may be wrong, but maybe move the tire on the rim after breaking the bead to see if there’s a ‘sweet spot’ where it doesn’t weave any longer.
You mean mount, install, test ride, uninstall, dismount, rotate, remount, reinstall, test ride again, repeat? o_O

Reactions: Obo

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
No, probably just bead break, see if you can rotate the tire while on the wheel (I assume use some tire lube) then pop beads back in place and try again. I assume that’s what Igofar means. I have that little weave when I first leave my driveway and then down the first turn, and then I guess I tune it out as well.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
No, I mean install the tire correctly and carefully.
Not just throw in on at the nearest cycle gear shop.
Tires will have a sweet spot, as well as seating correctly to the bead, and there are signs to watch for when doing this.
These tires have a very strong and stiff sidewalls which is good for the weight of the bike.
When airing up, too many kids do it slowly with the valve in the stem, and the tire pops several times as it’s trying to force the tire on the bead etc.
Much better to seat it first without the valve, so it pops ONE time and completely seats correctly…no shake.
The installer should have seen the balancing issue on the machine, and checked different spots on the tire before returning the tire to the customer.
I’ve removed up to 12 weights or more off tires done by ride now power sports and cycle gear shops, that once reseated and checked only took 2 weights to balance, and the shimmy went away.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Anything new to report on the Shinko Verge
Look to be wearing good, they have survived the heat wave we're having in Texas. Still feeling a very slight weave at low speeds (I think it's a product of the tread pattern) nothing bad or alarming, but there. Have nothing to report on wet conditions, we haven't had any rain! Good cornering, stopping and accelerating and good highway feel

Bike
R1200rt
Anything new to report on the Shinko Verge. I currently have metzeler roadtec z8 on mine, with only 6500km on them the rear has started to square off. I usually go with Michelin but interested in trying shinko verge.
wear good, mileage good, I have no complaints. I got 10k in miles near the wear bars not bald.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Took mine off at 7k. Didn’t like the way the profile on the verge affected turn in and caster wobble on the front. Wear and wet/dry handling was ok. Went back to Michelin. Might try Bridgestone BT 028 next time.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Anything new to report on the Shinko Verge. I currently have metzeler roadtec z8 on mine, with only 6500km on them the rear has started to square off. I usually go with Michelin but interested in trying shinko verge.
I am on my third set of Shinko Verge 011.

To give you an idea;
First set were replaced after 15,200 KM (9,500 miles) due to a puncture. If not for the puncture, I'm sure that I would have ran them another 1,500 KM or so.
Second set were replaced after 18,300 KM (11,400 miles) and they were worn past the wear bars.
I didn't really pay much attention to when they started to square off, but I don't remember it being particularly premature.

I do not have any real complaints about their performance wet or dry. The one thing that I don't like about them is that there is no tread in the centre of the tire. This is not an issue to me because of performance or confidence in them. What I have found is that this also means that the tire wear indicators are on the sides where there is tread. Unfortunately, most of us tend to wear the centre of the tires out first. This tread design/tire wear indicator location I find makes it hard to determine how worn the tire is in the centre. This makes it hard for me to decide if I have enough life left in them for a trip that I might have in mind.

The below photo is an example of this. The tire wear indicator is off to the side quite a bit. It shows that there is rubber remaining there, but how much is remaining in the centre is harder to determine as there is no tire wear indicator there to reference. The PR4's that I had on previously had tire wear indicators right in the centre of the tire making this determination easy.

They were wallet friendly. Used to be that for every two sets of Michelin PR tires I could buy three sets of Shinko's with the same amount of money.

1693498568041.png

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I am on my third set of Shinko Verge 011.

To give you an idea;
First set were replaced after 15,200 KM (9,500 miles) due to a puncture. If not for the puncture, I'm sure that I would have ran them another 1,500 KM or so.
Second set were replaced after 18,300 KM (11,400 miles) and they were worn past the wear bars.
I didn't really pay much attention to when they started to square off, but I don't remember it being particularly premature.

I do not have any real complaints about their performance wet or dry. The one thing that I don't like about them is that there is no tread in the centre of the tire. This is not an issue to me because of performance or confidence in them. What I have found is that this also means that the tire wear indicators are on the sides where there is tread. Unfortunately, most of us tend to wear the centre of the tires out first. This tread design/tire wear indicator location I find makes it hard to determine how worn the tire is in the centre. This makes it hard for me to decide if I have enough life left in them for a trip that I might have in mind.

The below photo is an example of this. The tire wear indicator is off to the side quite a bit. It shows that there is rubber remaining there, but how much is remaining in the centre is harder to determine as there is no tire wear indicator there to reference. The PR4's that I had on previously had tire wear indicators right in the centre of the tire making this determination easy.

They were wallet friendly. Used to be that for every two sets of Michelin PR tires I could buy three sets of Shinko's with the same amount of money.

1693498568041.png
100% with you on the issue, not knowing where you are on the rubber is annoying.
I replaced a front Verge after 16K (twice the life of the rear tire) and discovered that it was thin as paper in the center but still looking good from the outside.
Fully deflating the tire to check the resistance in the center is the only way to know, the front Verge never square off.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I had great results with Shinkos on my CBR600RR starting around 2005. Got over 16K-miles out of Raven 009. Even tossed in about 10 trackdays/yr on them. :)

Used several sets on my VFR as well.. Some folks on VFR forums showed me best deal on tyres yet Kenda KM1 tire set. Gonna try these next, hopefully last more than @ track compared to Q3+'s 3-days.

For ST, Verge does sound interesting. Would be nice to have little extra grip when cornering considering there's little extra weight involved...

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had great results with Shinkos on my CBR600RR starting around 2005. Got over 16K-miles out of Raven 009. Even tossed in about 10 trackdays/yr on them. :)

Used several sets on my VFR as well.. Some folks on VFR forums showed me best deal on tyres yet Kenda KM1 tire set. Gonna try these next, hopefully last more than 3-days @ track compared to Q3+.

For ST, Verge does sound interesting. Would be nice to have little extra grip when cornering considering there's little extra weight involved...
If you are considering the extra weight maybe consider a tire that is offered in a GT specification made for heavy sport touring bikes.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9

The below is an example of the problem created by the above tread pattern and tread wear indicator location. Total mileage on the below tire is 17,232 Km/10,707 miles.

I was going out for a day ride only, so not that much mileage. During my pre-ride check I didn't see anything that caused me concern about the tires, especially since I wasn't going far. I knew that they needed to be replaced, but I saw no reason for concern about doing a short day ride, especially since it was only around 60°F so the tires wear more slowly.

After riding 536 Km/333 miles, the rear Shinko Verge 011 looked like what you see in photo below. It certainly looked nothing like this when I left home that morning. It got to this point over that short distance.

Tire 01.jpg

After arriving at home, only another measly 76 Km/47 miles further than when the above photo was taken, the below is what the tire looked like. With these tires I need to monitor the total mileage on them as much, if not more, than checking the tread wear indicators to get an idea of how much longer I can run them. Having tread wear indicators in the centre would be useful.

Tire 02.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It amazes me how you could not look at that first picture and not even remotely think your rear tire was dangerously worn, cupped, and past the wear indicators!
Just by the distorted shape alone I would not have ridden on that tire.
While my Shinko has about 8,000 miles on it, it shows no distortion, the surface is nowhere near touching the indicators, and it still has a nice rounded profile.
It may help you to start looking at the profile and shape of your tires, rather than looking only at the center and guessing.
:WCP1:

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Not very happy with these tires, showing serious wear on rear tire at 7000 miles, front is going great. About half the 7000 is two up, and it has been VERY hot (till last couple weeks) in Texas

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It amazes me how you could not look at that first picture and not even remotely think your rear tire was dangerously worn, cupped, and past the wear indicators!
Just by the distorted shape alone I would not have ridden on that tire.
While my Shinko has about 8,000 miles on it, it shows no distortion, the surface is nowhere near touching the indicators, and it still has a nice rounded profile.
It may help you to start looking at the profile and shape of your tires, rather than looking only at the center and guessing.
:WCP1:
It may help you to read what I wrote before replying.

Top Bottom