Shock replaced.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
George... When I think of all my colleage at work, who don't even want to take the risk of changing the oil on their motorcycle.
They sometimes wait for a few weeks, for their appointment to the dealer, for simple things.

And you, just like that, with no garage and only a few handtools, at 75... you just changed your rear shock.

Wow ! Truly impressive. Congrats, man.

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
George... When I think of all my colleage at work, who don't even want to take the risk of changing the oil on their motorcycle.
They sometimes wait for a few weeks, for their appointment to the dealer, for simple things.

And you, just like that, with no garage and only a few handtools, at 75... you just changed your rear shock.

Wow ! Truly impressive. Congrats, man.
I've had cars where oil and plugs were no simple task. One had the engine oil filter located on the back side between the crankcase and firewall...couldn't reach it above or with the vehicle jacked up without moving the back side exhaust. (transverse v6 Olds). Several have required oddball, unique plug sockets to access the backside plugs....again, no room between the aft head and firewall. (Chevy transverse V6). Both these required unnecessary cost. I have removed both makers from my 'buy' list.

Bike
VStrom 650
I've had cars where oil and plugs were no simple task. One had the engine oil filter located on the back side between the crankcase and firewall...couldn't reach it above or with the vehicle jacked up without moving the back side exhaust. (transverse v6 Olds). Several have required oddball, unique plug sockets to access the backside plugs....again, no room between the aft head and firewall. (Chevy transverse V6). Both these required unnecessary cost. I have removed both makers from my 'buy' list.
It's like the manufacturers do it on purpose :rofl1:.
It keeps their service bays busy.
Upt'North.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

Ever do a timing belt and spark plug change on a Toyota Sienna? Toyota, one of the vaunted great car makers? To access the rear plugs on the transverse V6, you much remove the entire cowl, windshield wiper assembly, and the intake manifold. Roughly 3 hrs to get to those back three plugs. The rest of the timing belt change is relatively straightforward, well, unless you don't have an impact wrench capable of 1 MILLION ft/lbs to remove the damper bolt. All the manufacturers have total pigs, not just GM. Anything with a transverse V engine is gonna be a "female dog"

RT

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Congrats on the new damper, George. I replaced mine with a Hagon w/Remote preload and LOVE IT!

Recently did the water pump on the wife's Ford Flex. Traverse DOHC V6, water pump driven by the timing chain. What a PITA!! But stealers want $2K-2.5K to do it! $800 or so in parts and a couple special tools, and 3 weekends, and it's done! 1 water pump/3 timing chains/3 tensioners/chain guides/serp belt and a few other goodies for good measure!! Fairly straight forward, but tight quarters.

Only cussed a little....

Bike
1999 Honda ST100
I recently changed the starter on my Honda Accord. The original gave me 195,000 miles but to replace it had to removed the entire intake. Not fun, but not as bad as what some of you are describing.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Ever do a timing belt and spark plug change on a Toyota Sienna? Toyota, one of the vaunted great car makers? To access the rear plugs on the transverse V6, you much remove the entire cowl, windshield wiper assembly, and the intake manifold. Roughly 3 hrs to get to those back three plugs. The rest of the timing belt change is relatively straightforward, well, unless you don't have an impact wrench capable of 1 MILLION ft/lbs to remove the damper bolt. All the manufacturers have total pigs, not just GM. Anything with a transverse V engine is gonna be a "female dog"

RT
I never did a timing belt on our Sienna (1998 1st gen) but I was able to change the plugs without pulling the cowling, wiper assembly or intake manifold. Had to work by feel and other than accidentally removing one of the new plugs I'd just installed, thinking I was on the next one, it wasn't too difficult. I was fixing to do the timing belt too, when I received an add from the local dealer offering a timing belt replacement special for $175, parts and labor. Dropped the car off later that day!

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I never did a timing belt on our Sienna (1998 1st gen) but I was able to change the plugs without pulling the cowling, wiper assembly or intake manifold. Had to work by feel and other than accidentally removing one of the new plugs I'd just installed, thinking I was on the next one, it wasn't too difficult. I was fixing to do the timing belt too, when I received an add from the local dealer offering a timing belt replacement special for $175, parts and labor. Dropped the car off later that day!
I had a second gen, 2006. There is no way, no way of getting to those back plugs without tearing it apart. It wasn't difficult, just tedious. Plugs had a bit of oil on them, as the valve cover seals were failing. The valve cover seals on that engine are RIVETED in. Easier to replace the entire cover. I ended up selling it and getting a Sub.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
The shock was simple, top and bottom bolt (and right side pannier and right side Tupperware.)

I also just had a B service done on my 2011 Sprinter van, plus new tires, ~$1500. Not even an oil change. On a vehicle I cant afford to drive thanks to the cost of diesel. I refuse to work on it. The motorcycles are easy in comparison.

Top Bottom