Helmets Shoei Multitec is dead, long lives the Neotec II...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
So after many years of usage my thrusty Multitec gives in... inner lining falling apart, crumbs everywhere whenever I take it off...

Off to the store... a Neotec II in mat black (€ 650,- <gulp!> :oops:) ...
Expensive, but if it also lasts a decade like his predecessor well worth the investment...

The quality on the touch is unbeatable, closing the FF goes so smooth, you're not even sure if it has actually locked... so silent...
Really comfy fit, quality velour lining, improved venting, prepped for intercom installation (SENA SRL2), generous channels to fit temples of shades/spectacles with ease...
Of course is PinLock included, even comes with small bottle of Silicone lubricant/care and a small tool for adjustments and opening/closing the intercom enclosures/covers or removing the intergraded sun visor for cleaning...
All lining parts remove- and replaceable...

Already looking forward how it'll perform on the bike...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My old Multitec morphed into the Neotec a handful of years ago, and this one needs to transmogrify into the next-gen in some few months.
Not for loss of functionality, but due strictly to its age.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Not for loss of functionality, but due strictly to its age.
Yeah, I too seem being a "hidden environmentalist" in rather buying quality items and using them up till their very last breath... :biggrin:
My Multitec was pretty old, interestingly are items like visor, PinLock, various covers and latches still in top shape... I even got spares at home...
But despite always wearing my cap, skin-oil and sweat did their thing on the lining...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Was the multitec available with replacement cheek and crown pads? I know some of the newer Shoei helmets have that feature (I have 2 Neotec version 1 helmets but the crown pads were too thin-2X shell size…replaced them with the 13 mm version, and now they fit well)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
ten years is a bit old for a helmet anyway, it was ready to be replaced. The industry recommendation is to replace them every 5 years or so, but then they have a vested interest in selling more helmets.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
First success: manged to install a new wired Autocom headset into the Neotec II...
Cheek-pads are easy to remove, holders for the speakers are already there, only needed to remove the foam pad that filled the recesses...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congrats on the Neotec II.

I have a Neotec & a Neotec II. I use the II all the time. I have the built in Sena, with a remote Volume Control.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, as the Neotec II wasn't equipped last w/e, I'd to use the Neotec (which I've owned for quite some time, but rarely used as the well worn in Multitec was sooo comfortable) on the Sunday ride... and found that it sucks... :rolleyes:

What I always loved about the Multitec was it being very silent when riding of open face-shield and only marginally louder when closed...

When using the Neotec for an actual ride, I noted:
- massive draft on the eyes, right behind the sunglasses
- really noisy when riding open
- even worse when shut... :oops:

Comparing their designs unveils the causes, the bottom rim of the Multitec is completely different from the Neotec series...
That bottom chin-guard on the Neos forms a flat surface, actually driving the airflow right down onto your face...
The fact that it's a straight piece of Vinyl (compared to the mesh insert on the Multitec) makes it even worse...

Will check on the Shoei site/shop if I can obtain mash inserts...

IMG_20211012_185252.jpg

IMG_20211012_185649.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting.
I still prefer the Neotech over my Multitech, and don't find it louder.
Ah, different strokes, etc...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I still ride aternatively with a 5 year old Neotec and a few month old Neotec II. I prefer the ventilation of the N 1 and quietness of the N 2. The latter still passes a lot of air through the chin and crown vent but not like the former does. Living in Florida, a helmet cannot ventilate too much air and earplugs take care of the noise. (What noise?)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Although not conducive to airflow, one of the things I enjoy with the 1300 is that screen at its highest, or close to it -- the still and quiet *almost* tempts me to ride without earplugs.
It is extremely quiet, with my Neotec on.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I have about a five year old Neotec. The pads do get compressed, but you can wash them in the sink, let them dry and the fit is like new when you put them back in.

And for a few bucks, I bought new pads for when these give up the ghost completely.

Chris

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
If only I could find a Neotec 2 in white, XL in stock, I'd buy it. No one online or local has a single one

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
Do a search and it'll come up. I did a search on "Neotec 2 white xl" and several came up.

Chris
I've done that. What I've encountered is when you go to the actual vendors website and try to select that, they're not actually in stock. And with the rose in imitation products, I'm only willing to buy from an authorized Shoei dealer

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Alright, first ride with the Neotec II...

As to be expected the same aerodynamic design flaw as the Neo I, directing airflow directly onto your eyes when riding wit open face-shield... rendering the flip-front concept pretty much useless... will have to wait for the mesh insert (still not on stock at the Shoei webstore...)
Noise when riding open bearable, noticeable better sound-proofing...
The surprise happens when closing the helmet: now that's a silent lid :cool: will make quick connection stages on the autobahn a lot more pleasant...
Venting function and adjustments also pleasant...
Sun visor... well, it only dims the light, far from the quality of optical glass like in proper sunglasses made by an optician...
Fit and padding are excellent, that I like a lot...

Top Bottom