Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay, here goes..

Step One - Remove cheekpads
- This is pretty easy - they just snap in/out

Step Two - Remove inner foam
- This is not so easy, on the RF1000 turn the helmet over and pull up on the back of the side skirts - there are tabs that will pull out and you might need a little pressure to get it.

- Then, take a butter knife and try to break look the glue that is attaching the front foam to the chin of the helmet (see dark colored glue in pic below)

- Once the front glue is broken loose, you should be able to slowly start pulling the chin foam downward. BE PATIENT, it will slowly come out and you might need a little pressure but it's more important to work it a little at a time. Once you get the chin foam to a certain point, the whole front section will pull out and this is what it looks like:

Step Three - Cut Speaker Holes
- This is what I did, I lined up the speaker to the hard plastic section where I wanted the speaker to go

- Using an Xacto knife I cut the shape of the speaker into the plastic

- Then I cut, removed, then cut into the foam

- Now from the foam side of the hole, slowly cut it until you can snugly slide it into the hole and flush with the black plastic on the other side

Step Four - Cut Hole for Microphone
- Line it up where you want it and start cutting, I made mine fit flush against the chin from the inside

Step Five - Hook up wires
- Some people run the long speaker wire along the back of the helmet, I ran it this time along the front.

Step Six - Re-install all foam
- This can be a little taxing so BE PATIENT, dont' force it much. Angle the foam and get the right or left in fist then work the front in and you'll be able to force (JUST A LITTLE) the remining side in.

Now, I'm sure there are different ways to go about this and some techniques are better than others so the key is to be patient. Also, do this at your own risk, this is how I did my headset install and if you mess up your foam, headset, or helmet I'm not responsible (gotta have a disclaimer huh...)

If you need some help with something feel free to post and I'll do my best to provide some advise.​

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Mellow, excellent documentation. I was thinking of doing this as well and I have the same Helmet. What I was thinking of doing was to put a socket that plugs into the helmet at the base. Maybe a small hole drilled through. Do you think this will ruin the integrity of the helmet ?

The idea is that the there will be a cable that plugs into the back of the helment and the other end plugs into the seat. This way, if I forget to unplug when leaving the bike, it'll pull free [the socket will be facing towards the seat if you are wearing the helmet).

BTW, are the speakers water-proof ? It gets hot here and at sometime I'll need to wash my helmet.

Thanks, for the photos. Can't get my head around #1 but the others are very informative.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
CD, Thanks!

#1 is a pic of the inside of the chin bar, showing the glue I had to break free from the front chin foam.

I would think any hole in a helmet will degrade it's structure somewhat but I see other clampless headsets being installed in helmets that I assume need a hole drilled.

I've never washed my helmet, just the liners. Don't know if the speakers are waterproof but they will probably handle a little.... not sure.. I'd aske the manufacturer of the headset.

Joe

Missing Pics?

Joe,

I can't see the pictures in your post and am desperate for help with my RF-1000... Can you repost or PM to me directly?

My new Autocom system sounds great but my ears are killing me after 20 minutes...

Thanks in advance,

Bernie

Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Joe, I was hoping to do the same thing, but the pictures don't come up. Anyway to get to the instructions with the pictures?

Best Regards

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sorry man... the pics were on another site because I was too lazy to put them here:nuts1: .. that site went away and so did the pics.

If you end up tackling this please send me some pics and I'll post them here.

Sorry.

Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
No problem. I know I will have to remove the foam from the chin bar to do this, eventually. I will picture document what I am doing. Hopfully I won't screw up a $300 helmet doing it. Thanks for the overview.

So how did the helmet turn out. Were you pleased with the installation, or would you have picked a different helmet if you had to do it again?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Walrus said:
No problem. I know I will have to remove the foam from the chin bar to do this, eventually. I will picture document what I am doing. Hopfully I won't screw up a $300 helmet doing it. Thanks for the overview.

So how did the helmet turn out. Were you pleased with the installation, or would you have picked a different helmet if you had to do it again?
I'm happy with the install with one exception, the mic wasn't working well so I actually took another headset for a 3/4 with the boom type mic and fit it to the helmet.

I made a bigger hole in the front chinbar and stuck the boom there, the arm of it still come under the helmet and in front of the chinbar so it's not as clean but the sound has always been so much better from this type of headset.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the www.edsets.com headset w/small boom as that would keep me from even having to remove the front chinbar foam, just the sides for the speakers.

Hope that helps.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Joe...when you installed the speaker in the foam cutout, under the black plastic, did you cut holes in the plastic to be able to hear the speaker?

Bike
2005 ST1300
Reread your instructions...got it. I just bought an RF-1000, and have to cut holes for the speakers. I can only ride for 15 mins before the speakers are killing my ears.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Took my RF-1000 apart, cut out the plastic, countersunk the foam...a really neat installation. Now I can wear it and not even know the speakers are there.

Top Bottom