Shopping for a ST1300 - ABS Question

Bike
2007 ST1300
It looks like 2011 will be the year I jump from my cruiser to a ST1300. I hope to find one three or four years old and like the idea of ABS brakes. Just wondering if it should limit my search to only ones with ABS brakes?

Thoughts?

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You'll find that brakes are strictly a personal preference and the opinions are many. I have ridden both and my 05 is non-ABS. The breaks are sooooo good on these bikes with either version, I wouldn't let that limit your purchase.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
You'll find that brakes are strictly a personal preference and the opinions are many. I have ridden both and my 05 is non-ABS. The breaks are sooooo good on these bikes with either version, I wouldn't let that limit your purchase.
:plus1:

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
++ on not letting non abs keep you from getting a nice mount ! The brakes are great on the ST ,it,s all in how the rider uses his brakes ,ABS or not !

MIKE

Papa Ritch

Ritch Davis
Bike
09 SilverWing
STOC #
I have a 03 for sale with ABS 53,000 miles & lot of extar. If you would like talk. PM me your phone # and a good time to call or you can call. My phone # is in RAN list. Ritch:03biker:

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
ABS isn't an issue until the day you grab a handful of the leaver in panic...

On the very first day that I had my ST, I needed to use the levers very quickly -(Still wasn't used to the bike obviously).

I was running her in and was already about half way to the first service (Yes, I got to the service interval in the first 24 hours of ownership)
Anyway I was tired (lack of sleep) and coming into a town.
As I was approaching the middle of the town, the driver of a car suddenly pulled out of a parking space, to do a U turn..then see me and stop (too late!)
Needless to say I wasn't paying attention and got a very big fright!
I grabbed the dreaded handful-in-a-panic!!!
The ABS made a very big difference.
I didn't stop inside of the vehicle blocking the road.

Also in the wet weather I am a lot more confident when applying the anchors.

And for many years I lived with out them....?

RCS

I got abs for safety over 2 years and 27,000 miles ago. I practice emergency braking often, especially at the beginning of each season. The practice involves grasping the gas tank with my knees and grabbing the brakes as hard as I possibly can. I have yet to engage the abs - and I have tried. Granted this was all on dry pavement.

Would I buy abs again. Yes. Mostly because I do ride in the rain and it is good for resale value and speed of resale.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have an 05 w/o ABS. I will say I have never needed them but I did look for one that had them. It did not stop me from making a deal on the one I have. The brakes are good but as some have said they will be nice in the event you brake harder than conditions allow. Its Like Insurance!!!! Your choice. But Have fun looking!!

Bike
99 ST1100
I've got a non-ABS ST1100 and I Love it. The only thing I'd do differently if I had it to do over again would be to hold out for one WITH ABS. As others have said, you may never need it but if you ever do you'll be glad you have it.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
I've got a non-ABS ST1100 and I Love it. The only thing I'd do differently if I had it to do over again would be to hold out for one WITH ABS. As others have said, you may never need it but if you ever do you'll be glad you have it.
In my search I'm finding a few ST100's. Since you have a ST1100, do you think not having fuel injection and an electric windesheild is a big deal?

What about others with ST1100's?

I'm wanting to find a ST in the $5,000 - $6,000 range.

Bike
99 ST1100
In my search I'm finding a few ST100's. Since you have a ST1100, do you think not having fuel injection and an electric windesheild is a big deal?
Personally I don't think fuel injection is a big deal. BUT I'm a fairly inexperienced rider and may not be the best person to answer the question. I have "heard" that some if not most ST1300's have what's been described as a "snatchy" throttle response when first rolling on the gas coming out of turns.

As far as the adjustable windshield goes I'm sure that's a very nice feature but certainly not a deal breaker. Many here have gone with an aftermarket windshield to get the best performance they can. I've personally added a Laminar Lip that helps deflect the wind up over my head.

By the time you spend $6,000 you're getting pretty close to ST1300 money. If you think it's important to you, you may be happier spending just a little more and getting the 1300. I think there's an ST1300 on e-bay now for $6,250 and I believe that is an ABS model.

But if you can find an 1100 with ABS I don't think you'd ever miss fuel injection, you might occasionally miss the adjustable shield.

Good luck with the quest. No matter which ST you wind up with you're sure to love it.

Here you go. It is ABS and the buy it now price is $6,495

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ST1300A-/280611906465?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item4155c5e3a1#ht_500wt_1182

"This listing has ended" Somebody just bought themselves a nice looking '06 with ABS for $6,300 on e-bay. That seems like a really good price.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
My old 1100 did not have abs and it nearly all went horribly wrong, left hand bend,(we ride on the left) wet roads, an agricultural vehicle pulled into road from the left, I braked, rear wheel locked up, bike began to step out, brain told my foot to release rear brake, regained control, missed the tractor. ABS would have done it for me without thinking, thats why I bought my 1300 with ABS.

Just my opinon.

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
ABS and Fuel Injection:

If you haven't had them you won't know to miss them. Once you've had a bike with them, you probably wouldn't buy a bike without them.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have one of each. As for a 1300ABS, if looking at 2003 a non ABS won't have the power windscreen unless it has been retrofitted. All other years ABS and non-ABS have power screen. Is the power screen nice, heck yeah, until it breaks like mine did. $400 part to replace. I am working on modification to make it better.

For me I have an 1100 as I mentioned. I started as a fair weather rider. Then got caught in the rain a couple times. The 1100 offers great protection so you really don't get that wet. Then more and more rain until now I could care less if it is raining or not. That got me thinking that ABS would be nice. So I started looking at newer 1100s that were ABS. Then I noticed that 1300s were not that much more. I started looking more and more, finally going with a 2003 ABS.

As for comparison. The wheelbase on a 1300 is shorter. This makes it turn in better on the corners but twichier on the straights. What this means is this, if you are slabbing down an interstate the 1100 is a better more as it is more solid. When you get into the twisties the, the 1300 shines. It isn't that the 1100 is bad in the corners or the 1300 is unrideable on the interstate just one is a little better than the other.

The 1300 is fuel injected. It is nice not having to mess with the choke when it is cold. Is that a big deal? nope. Just different. The snachy throttle. Sure it is there. I don't think it is that bad but the 1100 is sure smoother. The throttle makes the 1300 feel quicker. Though riding it the same way a 1300 isn't going to leave an 1100 in the dust. It will come down to the skill level of the rider. The 1300 is a little lighter than the 1100 but the 1100 carries the weight better. This is mainly because all of the fuel on the 1100 is down low, under the seat. The 1300 carries 5.5 gal in an upper tank like most bikes and another 2.2 gal in a lower tank. This makes it a little more top heavy in slow speed (parking lot) corners. The 1100 doesn't have this. Storage is about the same on the two bikes. The 1300 does feel hotter in the summer. An 1100 non-ABS will not have linked brakes. The 1100ABS and all 1300s (ABS/NON-ABS) have linked brakes. The dash (digital part, fuel/temp being most important) can be hard to read in certain lighting conditions on the 1300. I don't have that much of a problem with it. I just look at it in 5 minutes or after a turn and I can see it just fine. 1300 uses a timing chain the 1100 a timing belt. Both need valve checks at same interval. The plastic is easier to remove/replace on the 1300 but uses stupid plastic clips that are easy to loose and break. 1100 runs on regular gas where the 1300 requires 91 octane. Though some run it on regular with no real issues. The 1300 really doesn't have any real common failures that will leave you stranded. Of the known failures (thermostat for instance) you can keep going. The only real common failure on the 1100 that will leave you stranded is the fuel petcock valve. Though many have been bypassed on the side of the road if needed and the bypass left in place without concern.

Overall I have been very happy with both bikes but the 1300 is going to be the one to stay in the stable.

As for ABS, it really comes down to personal preference. On the negative, it is another thing to go wrong but there really haven't been much for failures with the system. I have had mine kick in a couple times on me and I am glad I have it. It will help on resale later on a little.

Top Bottom