Votes: 23 35.4%
  • 3 person

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • 4 person

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • for more than 4 people

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
I stated that he went that route and ended up with a tent with broken poles and the need to return it. A terrible nights sleep and the desire to get a better tent. Sorry my suggestion did not agree with yours, and was stating facts that cheap is cheap.

Read this thread starting at post #99 and you will understand my position for speaking for Afan.

I do understand your position, Kevin,... with respect, too... in light of the circumstances & experiences mentioned in the Post#99 of your link...AND the info posted on this Thread... with an upper limit(as stated) of $200...very likely an acceptably suitable tent will be found for the "Pollmaster"... among the many very good choices in the price range of $125-200 interval... However, for some of us... there ARE suitably acceptable choices in the <$100 interval... granted, not as many as the former stated interval & not carrying the Branded status,... but still serviceable... At any rate... having Choices is Good!:):03biker:

When I start with something new (cooking, biking, exercising...) I follow the rule to buy something cheap, to see for how long it will keep me preoccupied. When I started to spend some time cooking, I was cooked for over a year in cheap cookware. And, since I still liked it I start buying more expensive, semi-pro cookware, like All-Clad, Griswold, Le Creuset...when started exercising at home I bought $100 Treadmill - and still have it with tons of cobs all over it. When started biking I bought old, cheap, small S40. I fall in love with biking and bought ST1100. I met several people the thought they like riding a motorcycle, they bought new or almost new, expensive bikes - and now selling after only several hundreds miles of riding.

Same idea with the tent. Bought cheap one, Coleman, similar to the one from Walmart. Spent only one night in it and wasn't bad at all. And to point one thing: I bought the tent in WalMart because I forgot my at home. Better WalMart then sleeping on bench! :) I returned the tents and now plan to buy something better, something that should last at least one year. And spend the difference of $60-$80 bucks for floor ground, better stakes, hi-viz rope, camping towels, better gas stove, etc. And, if I still use the tent after year or two I'll invest in something better.

I'd recommend you go to an REI, if one is local to you, and check out their merchandise.
Good quality and prices.
I checked and there is no one in my area but they plan to open one on November 6th this year - maybe worth waiting. ;-)

+1 Also look at their online outlet store for closeouts.
Labor Day sale was nice, but kinda limited in tents. Only one I found was Kelty Trail Ridge 4, about $190 after coupon, tax and shipping. Yesterday was the last day of sale. :(

Hm... I was pretty sure I posted it too but looks like it was on the other post I never submitted... So...

[[*]Vestibule decent size, two of them preferably. I should be able to keep my boots, crocks, chair, cook stove and cookware and food in it

Whichever tent you get... may I suggest a rather firm personal opinion to you?...DO NOT KEEP ANY FOOD IN YOUR TENT OR VESTIBULE... unless you want to attract some up close/personal wildlife encounters... reminds me of an acquaintance whose son left some fig-newtons in tent... chipmunks crawled under tent & chewed through tent floor to claim the cookies... cute/funny...but larger beasts lurk about!:):03biker:

Last edited:
I checked and there is no one in my area but they plan to open one on November 6th this year - maybe worth waiting. ;-)

FYI ... there is an REI in Madison, WI. Just a short distance from Spring Green. Maybe your timing will allow a trip over there this weekend.

Hm... I was pretty sure I posted it too but looks like it was on the other post I never submitted... So...

[
[*]Vestibule decent size, two of them preferably. I should be able to keep my boots, crocks, chair, cook stove and cookware and food in it

Whichever tent you get... may I suggest a rather firm personal opinion to you?...DO NOT KEEP ANY FOOD IN YOUR TENT OR VESTIBULE... unless you want to attract some up close/personal wildlife encounters... reminds me of an acquaintance whose son left some fig-newtons in tent... chipmunks crawled under tent & chewed through tent floor to claim the cookies... cute/funny...but larger beasts lurk about!:):03biker:

Yes, that's true.

Agreed with above. Big critters may pay a visit for a midnight snack with you. But also there are very small critters (ants) that like some midnight snacking too, and the small ones can crawl in through where the zipper shuttles meet each other. That's why I keep food and cook gear outside the tent in well sealed containers if possible.

Was the coupon deal for a Kelty at the Scheels store? If not give them a try, or even Dick's Sporting Goods. Both are in the Jordan Creek mall or in that area. I haven't priced tents there recently so don't know what they have on hand.

No tent. I use a Sportsman blanket for a ground cloth, Ensolite pad for comfort, and a sleeping bag under the stars. The sky is my tent. If there are flying bugs I use mosquito head netting. If there is light mist rain/snow I will pull the Sportsman blanket over me like a taco shell. If it is raining/snowing hard I will use a 6x9 foot tarp (or a long poncho) and nail down one short edge into the wind and use a hiking stick in the middle of the other edge with 6 foot strings tying down the corners. The tarp is big enough for me and my pack. I travel light and love the outdoors. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Agreed with above. Big critters may pay a visit for a midnight snack with you. But also there are very small critters (ants) that like some midnight snacking too, and the small ones can crawl in through where the zipper shuttles meet each other. That's why I keep food and cook gear outside the tent in well sealed containers if possible.

Was the coupon deal for a Kelty at the Scheels store? If not give them a try, or even Dick's Sporting Goods. Both are in the Jordan Creek mall or in that area. I haven't priced tents there recently so don't know what they have on hand.

I plan to visit them tonight, right after work.
I don't know anything about Kelty coupon at Sheel's...

No tent. I use a Sportsman blanket for a ground cloth, Ensolite pad for comfort, and a sleeping bag under the stars. The sky is my tent. If there are flying bugs I use mosquito head netting. If there is light mist rain/snow I will pull the Sportsman blanket over me like a taco shell. If it is raining/snowing hard I will use a 6x9 foot tarp (or a long poncho) and nail down one short edge into the wind and use a hiking stick in the middle of the other edge with 6 foot strings tying down the corners. The tarp is big enough for me and my pack. I travel light and love the outdoors. Keep it simple.

Raccoons in Iowa have bad breath...
:D

I prefer to keep my packed tent inside the sidecase when I'm traveling so it won't get taken. 18 inches long is about all that will fit. I've got Tarptent brand 1 man and 2 man tents. So you guys don't worry about leaving your gear strapped to the rear seat while you are out of sight??

I don't worry either, although I'm generally not off the bike too long and/or it's within sight, i.e. restaurant, store, gas, etc. If at a hotel, it all comes up to the room with me, at least the stuff I can't lock in the panniers or top box.

There's a Cabelas near Prairie du Chien also on your way to WiStoc...might check what they have........good luck.......ff

I don't worry either, although I'm generally not off the bike too long and/or it's within sight, i.e. restaurant, store, gas, etc. If at a hotel, it all comes up to the room with me, at least the stuff I can't lock in the panniers or top box.

Same here. I generally keep the bike in sight when stopped while travelling and usually try to park in front of a window where I can keep an eye on it while in the restaurant or gas station. If staying some place I usually take it in with me.

When I start with something new (cooking, biking, exercising...) I follow the rule to buy something cheap, to see for how long it will keep me preoccupied. ..... And, if I still use the tent after year or two I'll invest in something better.

.... And that's how I ended up with a garage full of gear!!! :D:D:D

My choice isn't in your poll which is OK, This year I went for a hammock. I love it! The one I have has mosquito netting on the top and also comes with a rigline fly. Easy to set up, and keeps me dry, and I'm off the ground. I utilize drybags and can easily store gear under the hammock. I also travel with a bike cover, I've been known to leave my riding gear on the seat under the cover. It has worked extremely well for my summer trips, and I've always managed to find a couple of trees to hang from at campgrounds.
Because it's so quick and easy to set up, at roadside rest area's I hang the hammock and take a power nap on those days that I tend to ride for hours

Back
Top Bottom