Short legs on a Tall Bike

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I first saw the drop-down landing gear at a track day. A paraplegic sport bike rider used them on his track bike.
He was very very fast on the bike. All shifting done from the handgrip, and this was years ago.
Another young roadracer I knew lost his right arm in a crash on the track, and had all hand controls re-engineered and moved to the left grip.
He was fearless, and always rode faster than me.
OK, so y'all know... there are lots of riders, young and old, who ride faster than me.
There.
I said it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
One of the worst things on a tall bike if you are a bit short in the legs is uneven road edges where the tarmac drops away to a drain grid
Understood but that makes planning your stops all the more important. Sometimes you might have to give yourself more room in case traffic doesn't allow you to stop where you assumed you would. Easing out of a driveway taught me a lesson on my 305 Scrambler years back. One the way out oncoming traffic kept me from entering the lane and driving off.

I could have stopped while still in the driveway and watch approaching traffic. Or I could have safely pulled into the street about 1.5'. Instead I stopped between those to points which put my feet directly over the lowest point in the gutter where driveway meets the gutter. Lesson learned.

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Can you all feel the bubble car design is a jump in evolution that the ST1100 has been working towards with all the plastic panels ?
The Harley design wheels look quite good . Strange that a simple lever design did not come before that .The small wheels make sense to avoid a scraping action but a lever plus spring could be a cheaper option .Controlling the support levers would make pedal control fussy and some automatic action was inevitable . So the awkward part was eliminated with the first drawings probably .
The Gull Wing door was necessary in case of a slide where the weight on the single door might make escape difficult. Hauling up a tipped over bike is one thing .How much grip would you have on a slippery bubble bike ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Looking for a greener way to cut the grass today I found a pedal powered lawn mower with a sort of recumbent pedal layout .The same site illustrated a lightweight electric bike called the Ryvid Anthem which has an adjustable seat height going from 30 inches up to 34 inches . But the motor won`t take you far on a battery .Top speed is 75 miles per hour .Better to get an old RXS 100 Yamaha .A nice little 2 stroke and it made nice noises running out of roundabouts if you rung it`s neck properly . The recumbent mower had carbon fibre parts. Cost about the same as the bike .
If you had a Penny Farthing pushbike the general approach to mounting and dismounting would come in useful . Study that subject well .

Top Bottom