Should gap be here between inner alternator housing and outer housing assembly?

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Wanting to know if there should be any gap between outer housing assembly and inner when mated permanently? Trying to upload pic. I have about a half millimetre. When i was at this point recently, I broke off one ear because when I drew the bolt it, it cracked the housing.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100
There shouldn,t be any gap.Had you the complete alternator including the drive gears removed?There are 2 gear wheels that have to be lined up before you install them.Go to Mick Martin,s site for a good discription

Last edited:

finleysw

R.I.P. - 2024/03/29
Rest In Peace
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
+1 There shouldn't be any gap if the gears are lined up. Which I understand is almost impossible to have the alternator gears mesh with the motor driven gears without some sort of pin to hold the alternator gear alignment when installing the alternator.. " Quote: from the Mike Martin Page" The alternator drive gears are two pieces with a spring mechanism inside. This serves to eliminate all gear backlash, presumably to reduce gear noise, but possibly for some other benefit which I don't understand. To install the drive into the engine, these two gears must first be forced into alignment, and a 6 mm bolt slipped into an unthreaded hole to hold this alignment." Mike's full write up can be seen here with the install starting at item #10 http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/Alt.htm
Good Luck.. Stuart

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Yes, there is a small gap between the alternator shaft assembly (both 28amp and 40amp versions) and the engine case as the mating surface of the case around the bolt holes is slightly raised. Not a problem as the big O-ring does the actual sealing. There should be no appreciable gap between your 28amper's stator case and the alternator shaft assembly.

But if you broke off an ear of the alternator shaft assembly while inserting it into the engine and torqueing down the bolt, then the other posters are correct in pointing out that you must not have gotten the two split gears on the end of the alternator shaft assembly both engaged on the the engine flywheel's splines. How did you insure the split gears splines were aligned when you installed the alternator shaft assembly?

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I broke the ears last summer in the field when trying to tighten it up. I have seen a picture now and my issue wasn't between the block and the inner half, but between the outer assembly and the inner half, but it appears to be fine. To answer your question John, I physically looked underneath from the oil pan to ensure the gears were as they are supposed to be. Thanks. Now my problem is everything is back together and the I just get a clicking sound from under the dash when I press the starter button. Working through the obvious tests and connections to see whats wrong.

Top Bottom