Shoulder replacement.

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Anyone had the experience of a shoulder replacement. My left shoulder needs to be replaced. I had surgery on it 2 years ago for the second time. Arthritis has gotten a hold of me and it's a mess in there. The last one the Doc got me all fixed up short of replacement. Painful at times but still working so i would like to hold off on getting it done. If i go ahead and get it taken care of im looking at 3 to 4 months of aggressive rehab at my age and moderate build before getting back to normal. A lot going on this spring and summer to get laid up like that but it needs to get done. Thoughts thanks.
Regards.
Peterz

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I know nothing about it. I do have a friend who is a very enthusiastic and extreme rock climber. He damaged his shoulder - ripped the tendons from the bone in a fall on an escalator in a shop. He did everything that he needed to do, followed the rehab through for about a year. He never regretted taking a year out from his favourite activity and is back to rock climbing again.

Some thoughts spring to mind.

There is always a lot going on that you would rather do.
We are all in a sort of lockdown now, it would be a shame to come out of that and then have to be out of action when everyone else is out and about.
"At your age" - it isn't a fixed number. It keeps increasing. At my age, I think I have only just realised this.
The earlier you do it, the greater the number of pain free years you have left.

A Tyre analogy.
My bike tyres last around 5000 miles. I cannot get any more out of them. I once thought that I had enough tread left in my tyres to do a 2000 mile tour around Scotland. I was wrong. I forgot that tyre wear isn't linear - the last part of the tread wears faster than the first half.

I could have taken the plunge and got rid of the old tyres with nearly 2000 miles left on them. As it was, in the last half of the tour, I was nursing them, trying to make them last the distance.
We didn't go to places that we would have liked, and missed some longer scenic tours in favour of shorter, tyre saving routes. I always wished that I had fitted the new tyres. And now, because of that experience, I always do fit new. Did I make it home ? No I didn't. The tyres became illegal about 300 miles from home. The train fare, the return with car and trailer, the hotel and the return home - in total cost me more than the price of two sets of tyres.

I don't know if that helps. It is intended to, but only you know the full story.
As a doctor once told us - you don't always get to choose !

Whatever - I hope it all works out OK.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Both of mine are supposed to be replaced (good old Arthur-itis - a constant companion but not a pleasant one). I am going through the same thinking process of how much longer do I want to put up with the pain. I think the 'trigger' is like it was with my knee replacements - when every time you start to do something your first thought is 'How is this going to affect my 'shoulder, knee, back, etc.' then it is time to get it fixed. I don't mind the therapy or that stuff, just the long recovery without riding.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble with that shoulder, Peter - it sounds like your doc feels that full replacement is the best option at this point.
I can't add anything to John's wise words and I have never had a joint replaced but I know several people who have and all are ecstatically happy with the results.

Good luck!

Patty

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Never had a joint replaced, but know many people who have had hips and knees done. In almost all cases the need for the replacement was apparent and the person knew it was going to be done at some point, but they delayed and delayed until they were in extreme pain and because of this they had curtailed routine activities to the point where they became very inactive.

If you've got tons of things to do in the spring and summer months then one option is to delay surgery until the fall or start of winter, but definitely schedule it for then when you can rehab over the winter and then you'll be largely recovered in March/April 2022. If surgery can't be delayed, then just it done and you'll have to delay your projects until you are well.

Bike
05 ST
I had my right shoulder replaced (reversed socket) two years ago, was so bad that I had to shift gears in my truck with my left hand. Best thing I can tell you follow rehab, had a great PT and can do everything I used to enjoy without any pain. 68 years old and feeling great...

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I had my right shoulder replaced in October 2019 when it got so bad I could barely hang onto the handlebars anymore, and was in extreme pain pretty much constantly. I had had a ruptured rotator cuff about 8 years ago and arthritis snuck in there and wrecked it even though the cuff had healed. Now I have a big hunk of titanium and a plastic socket.

The main thing, assuming you have a good surgeon, is the recovery, and the physical therapy that comes with it. Get a good PT person and don't be afraid to change if they aren't doing the job for you. Most insurance, like Medicare, has a limit on the number of PT visits you can have, so you need to make good use of it, and do all the daily exercises prescribed. And don't overdo it - I did and had negative results that made healing a lot longer.

For most older people, myself included, you're looking at about a year of recovery before you get to where you're mostly pain-free, but keep at it. The goal is worth the effort. The first few weeks or so after the surgery is the worst, because you're trussed up in a sling and not able to do much. One piece of advice - if you're used to wiping your behind with the same side as you're having surgery on, practice doing it with the other side before you have the surgery. :)

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Your still young relative to these days and doing it now beats later. Like others said get a mental plan to tough it out for rehab, stick to it and hopefully you got a good support team at home and suck up some “you time” for a while. Find during the warmer time seems to me I do better with sunny days to convalesce. Like Patty - All of those I know who had some form of corrective surgery were very glad they did too. Best of luck and you always have the group here to support you

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I'm supposed to replace my right hip joint , last fall , but decided to tough it out & see what the situation is - in the hospitals , in relation to COVID risks , control , etc.
Also , If you are in the snow belt , you need to know what you are going to be able to do with your usual snow removal activity , after surgery .

OP
OP
peterz

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
How was your recovery actually?

How was your recovery actually?
My recovery went quite well. Thanks. 15 months later left shoulder is doing well. Once in a while i do a little to much and it sets me back a bit. Had my right shoulder replaced Jan. 29th of this year and it is doing quite well also. Left shoulder was a anatomical replacement and the right side was a reverse replacement.

Top Bottom