Side case tie down brackets - What are they called?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Some of the adventure bike panniers (with a flat top) have a tie down bracket for additional gear. I have a picture of these below

These have a specific name. What is it? I want to create some additional tie down points on my VStrom.

IMG_2873.jpg

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
Available at most home improvement stores

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Some of the adventure bike panniers (with a flat top) have a tie down bracket for additional gear. I have a picture of these below

These have a specific name. What is it? I want to create some additional tie down points on my VStrom.

IMG_2873.jpg
I put mine on the sides of my Pelican cases instead of the top. Depending on your straps, might have to put an extra washer or 2 to get clearance. Using RokStraps aren't you?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Depending on your straps, might have to put an extra washer or 2 to get clearance. Using RokStraps aren't you?
Yes. As with everything else in life, all footman loops are not created equal. Some appear to be formed from a rod by bending, flattening the ends and punching (forging?) the hole. Some are countersunk. Some appear to be cast. Many have very sharp bends which in extreme cases, might lead to a failure point. I've found these on McMaster-Carr, in mild, carbon and stainless steels, finished in black, nickel or zinc plating and in a zillion different dimensions. Prices range from around 75¢ to $6.00 each. They seem to be part of the OEM equipment on jeeps. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Nowl...where does the name come from?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I'd recommend getting stainless loops and screws. I bought a set from Aerostich and later found rust in the countersunk screw holes. Water will tend to sit in those recesses. I don't know if it is the screws or the loops that rust. I cleaned it all off and treated with ACF-50 which has worked surprisingly well to prevent further rust.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I saw that before asking the question. The only idea I had from reading about footmen was that perhaps the handles they grabbed were shaped like these and the name traveled. I was amused that men with 'well turned legs' where highly prized.... Did they maybe engage in extra curricular activity with the women of the household?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I built those Jeeps...... well, built the very first YJ back in 1985 when the CJ7 was discontinued a year or two before.. we built the first 21 pre-production pilots by hand.
The footman loops were used to strap the fold-down windshield to the hood so it wouldn't flop around...... basically, they came from WW2 days, maybe before.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Just buy some galv door handles at the hardware store. I remember seeing self tapping screws with rubber gaskets that were used for metal roofing. Easy peezy!

Top Bottom