Side stand comes on while riding

Bike
ST1100
Hi guru's,
I live in Australia and recently purchased a low mileage 1993 ST1100 (43,xxx miles).
Each time I ride, she goes ok, however (after around 30 minutes or so) the side stand light starts to glow lightly until it comes on and stays on.
I stop at intersections and sit in neutral, then select 1st (as the lights change to green) and it pops in to 1st gear and she just keeps going.
But the light being on, is frustrating and worrying.
Is this a common issue with these bikes or am I just special?
Does anyone know/have a fix for this?
Phil

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hi guru's,
I live in Australia and recently purchased a low mileage 1993 ST1100 (43,xxx miles).
Each time I ride, she goes ok, however (after around 30 minutes or so) the side stand light starts to glow lightly until it comes on and stays on.
I stop at intersections and sit in neutral, then select 1st (as the lights change to green) and it pops in to 1st gear and she just keeps going.
But the light being on, is frustrating and worrying.
Is this a common issue with these bikes or am I just special?
Does anyone know/have a fix for this?
Phil
Maybe the spring is worn and bumps knock it down? I worry for you because the bike is supposed to shut off or not start if the bike is in gear and stand down. My side stand just started behaving a bit reluctantly also. I shot some d40 in and we will see.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I have heard that the Clutch diode can cause this

31700-196-000 RECTIFIER, SILICON [~$18]
It's wrapped inside the wiring harness/loom, located on top of the upper left side frame member, next to the air cleaner cover. Look for the bulge. Please let us know if this solves the problem.
It's just 2 regular diodes end to end so easily replaced without waiting for Honda parts I'll look for those specs.......
Here it is, I think 2- IN4002 diodes should do the trick That little black thingey has 3 pins on it, you could measure the diode polarity (at least for the good diode.

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Phil:

Welcome to our forum community.

To efficiently troubleshoot a problem like this, you need to consider the different "paths of influence" that could be causing the problem.

In this case, two possible paths are apparent, one mechanical and one electrical. The most efficient way to rule out potential problem sources is to begin by deciding which source is easiest to rule out. I suggest you wire up the side-stand so that you know it stays in the fully retracted position (just use a coat-hanger or some safety wire to hold it fully retracted), then go riding for a while.

If your problem disappears - meaning, you don't see the side-stand caution light illuminate - then you know the problem is mechanical, for some reason the side-stand has been partially deploying while riding.

If the problem persists - meaning, the side-stand caution light continues to illuminate even though you know that the side-stand is being firmly held in the upright position - then you know your problem is electrical, and you can rule out mechanical issues. Now you can proceed to ruling out different electrical components.

Start with the side-stand switch, down at the side-stand itself. I don't know whether it is normally closed when the stand is retracted, or normally open, but it's easy for you to find out by just disconnecting one wire of the switch and seeing if the caution light illuminates. Once you have figured out whether the switch is normally open or normally closed when the side-stand is fully retracted, set the switch in the "light not illuminated" position by either jumpering the two wires together (for normally closed) or leaving one wire disconnected (for normally open). Now, go ride again, see if the problem returns. If it does not return, the switch is faulty and needs to be replaced. If the problem does return, then further investigation of other potential electrical causes is required.

Michael

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
"... I worry for you because the bike is supposed to shut off or not start if the bike is in gear and stand down. ..."

I'm not sure how far down the stand has to be to cause the motor to not run. I'm thinking quite a ways down. My old 1100 used to do this also. If I remember right, it was due to a worn pivot bolt or hole. I think I added a smaller dia. spring inside the stock spring.

edit: I just checked my 1100. The side stand will drop to about a 45 degree angle before shutting down the motor.

Last edited:

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
"... I worry for you because the bike is supposed to shut off or not start if the bike is in gear and stand down. ..."

I'm not sure how far down the stand has to be to cause the motor to not run. I'm thinking quite a ways down. My old 1100 used to do this also. If I remember right, it was due to a worn pivot bolt or hole. I think I added a smaller dia. spring inside the stock spring.

edit: I just checked my 1100. The side stand will drop to about a 45 degree angle before shutting down the motor.
Thanks

Top Bottom