side wind deflectors remake?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Nah, don't get exited yet... just gauging interest...

I've contacted Italian Mold Lab (they make lots of replica stuff for motorcycles) if they would even be interested to re-make the 08P72-MAJ-B00 kit

The short response: hi, to make them I would need the original parts. I see they are very rare...

So is there even still a market/demand for those??
I wouldn't mind to send them my set for the required 3-D scanning, but it won't be worth the D&D efforts for only 1~2 pairs...

TIA

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
These, along with the hand deflectors, have been on my list of things to create and 3D print. The main drawback has been their size but I've felt that a two-piece solution was possible.

As for demand, I think it has flashes of interest but in my experience of offering replicated parts, there's much fewer actual buyers than who expresses interest. Kind of why I prefer the 3D print method. I can make pieces on demand without committing a lot of money to do a whole run, plus I can customize on demand too. However, if the company can do it for a reasonable cost and you can get commitment from buyers, then that would be wonderful as they are rare. Good luck!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a couple of sets but I don't use them as they interfere with the use of my Highway Wings.
I do use and love the part of the original kit that included the mirror deflectors.
I also had my former company fab me up some foot shields out of aluminum to replicate the old VP Product ones out of plastic.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As for demand, I think it has flashes of interest but in my experience of offering replicated parts, there's much fewer actual buyers than who expresses interest.
Yeppers, There's them that want to 'smell the coffee' and 'talk about the coffee' and 'are interested in the coffee' until it comes time to 'buy a cup'! ;)
That's what I found out the few times I looked at creating ST1100 product.
We went through that on the Middleton handbrake years ago (a great piece of kit).
A feller in the UK who knew Mr. Middleton somehow convinced him to make up one more batch based on those that said they would take one.
At the end of day, the feller got stuck with many of them as the 'commitments' turned into 'crickets' and he had to pay for the whole batch.
I ended up buying several 'extra' to help him out since he was out of pocket for the whole deal - because I appreciated the fact that he was willing to do it.
As my ST1100 'fleet' grew, I was glad that I did! ;)

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I had a set of those deflectors on my 94ST when I had purchased it. However, as Uncle Phil said, I wound up taking them off because it was hitting the inside of my knees when I was trying to use my highway blades. I sold them sometime ago and likely would not put them back on.

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
See, now I'm kind of feeling the brain juices flowing reading this feedback. Perhaps making them out of a rubber instead of hard plastic and/or sculpting them some could ease that issue on the knees. I think if an updated design could be worked up, you might get more interest.

I have the capability to print TPU rubber. I think for something like that, I'd opt for a lower profile near the knee or even a wider pad for comfort. I dunno, just kicking ideas around.

If nothing else, I'd be interested in getting hands on a set to grab dimensions from. If someone has some they don't want I'll buy them or would pay shipping to "borrow" them.

Nah, don't get exited yet... just gauging interest...

I've contacted Italian Mold Lab (they make lots of replica stuff for motorcycles) if they would even be interested to re-make the 08P72-MAJ-B00 kit

The short response: hi, to make them I would need the original parts. I see they are very rare...

So is there even still a market/demand for those??
I wouldn't mind to send them my set for the required 3-D scanning, but it won't be worth the D&D efforts for only 1~2 pairs...

TIA
I just lost the maintenance cover rubber wind deflector on the right side, oil add side, would love a replacement, I know it’s a small part but hate it mine disappeared, don’t know how it got lost , ……

I really like my black rubber wind deflectors have the complete set, great in the rain and winter, and not so wide for the summer…. All of a sudden after years of having them the maintenance cover deflector part for the oil add side disappeared, was cleaning the carport and, oh crap, where is that cover!!! Please help!! Looking for a replacement

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I really like my black rubber wind deflectors have the complete set, great in the rain and winter, and not so wide for the summer…. All of a sudden after years of having them the maintenance cover deflector part for the oil add side disappeared, was cleaning the carport and, oh crap, where is that cover!!! Please help!! Looking for a replacement
Have a look at the below thread for the needed part numbers and a recommended fix so that it doesn't happen again.
I haven't checked for a while so I am not sure if they are still available from Honda but they were not so long ago.
Maintenance Lid

Have a look at the below thread for the needed part numbers and a recommended fix so that it doesn't happen again.
I haven't checked for a while so I am not sure if they are still available from Honda but they were not so long ago.
Maintenance Lid
Thank you, with that part number found it on Amazon, be here Tuesday, but dog gone that is an expensive piece of rubber!!! There was another source I saw in the Netherlands, couldn’t see when it would arrive $20 shipping, so it actually cost a few dollars more from Amazon but the ETA was clear. Again, thanks, and I certainly will do the fix so this one stays on. Cannot believe I didn’t notice it jump overboard

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
You're talking about the 1300. The wind deflectors in this thread are for the 1100.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You're talking about the 1300. The wind deflectors in this thread are for the 1100.
I installed the delfectors on my 1300. I assumed all were made of a similar hard rubber, but the 1100's were designed to fit that bike's fairing. I had considered some form of highway pegs but found the deflectors - even made of rubber, would be irritating after a short while. The problem is they hit soft tissue on the inside of your leg, it is not a matter of the material being hard plastic or soft rubber. I think even a foam rubber cored deflector would be bothersome after a few hours in the saddle.

Unless, of course, the rider was very bowlegged. :rofl1:

I installed the delfectors on my 1300. I assumed all were made of a similar hard rubber, but the 1100's were designed to fit that bike's fairing. I had considered some form of highway pegs but found the deflectors - even made of rubber, would be irritating after a short while. The problem is they hit soft tissue on the inside of your leg, it is not a matter of the material being hard plastic or soft rubber. I think even a foam rubber cored deflector would be bothersome after a few hours in the saddle.

Unless, of course, the rider was very bowlegged. :rofl1:
Maybe whittle the defenders down a bit to fit your shin? I have noticed slight irritation using my Larry’s Highway pegs, but didn’t seem significant enough to worry with

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
It may be worth contacting them and asking if they'll consider it.

Top Bottom