sign of battery dying?

I have the police version of the ST1300. The police lights were all removed but I still have the police controls on the right side and the one switch that still functions is the one that turns the headlights on and off. I keep it turned on all the time and this has not been a problem. Today the bike wouldn't start and I thought to turn off the headlights and then it started. Am I correct in assuming this means the battery is on its way out?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Get the bike running, measure the voltage across the terminals. about 14.5, then ok, your alternator works. Remove the battery, get it to a full charge, then do a load test. Fail, get a new one. STs are notorious about being "underbatteried". Your LEO bike may be different due to larger battery box, not sure.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
1636512739674.png

Kidding aside...

What is the measured battery voltage with the ignition off?

Bike
2009 ST1300
I think you should be able to measure at least 12.6 VDC [before you start it] with the bike sitting over night, and the voltage shouldn't droop too much below 10.2 while you're cranking it.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a starter cranking - voltage / DC current measurement before [snif, snif,] I take the plate off and do my first service...

Bike
VStrom 650
Your assumption is possibly correct Matt. Infact probably correct too.
BUT......with it being ex job have you checked all the removed parts were removed correctly, are there any dangling bits that may be creating a draw on the battery.
Also with it being ex job does it have the second battery still fitted.
Before rushing to spend your $'s on a new battery check connections on the battery too.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
See if you can get one of these testers.
Tests the battery capasitance and your charging system.
It takes a lot of guesswork out of the pass fail procedure
Works great on my truck and car battery's also.
This one is probably obsolete as I purchased it 4 or 5 years a go.

Snip:
The BA7 from SOLAR provides quick, decisive battery testing for lead acid batteries rated from 100-1200 CCA, which covers everything from powersport to truck batteries. It features an operating range from 7-15 Volts and can test against several ratings systems, including CCA, CA, IEC and EN. It also tests a wide variety of battery types, including flooded, AGM, Spiral Wound and Gel Cell batteries. In addition to providing battery testing capability, the BA7 also enables testing of starting system performance and alternator output. It features reverse polarity protection and over-voltage protection for ease of use and operator safety.

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If your clock resets to 12:00 – I'm not sayin' it's your battery... But it's your battery.

Your LEO bike may be different due to larger battery box, not sure.
Do the STPs have a larger battery from the factory? I know that Long Beach Honda does some outfitting with a larger box and battery but I hadn't seen it mentioned that the factory offers it. Tough even with LED lighting (which I don't think the factory provided) a better bigger battery is better.

Also with it being ex job does it have the second battery still fitted.
Is this true of stateside STPs or is it just a UK thing? I've only seen one other mention of a second battery and I don't recall much of it.

Bike
VStrom 650
If your clock resets to 12:00 – I'm not sayin' it's your battery... But it's your battery.

Do the STPs have a larger battery from the factory? I know that Long Beach Honda does some outfitting with a larger box and battery but I hadn't seen it mentioned that the factory offers it. Tough even with LED lighting (which I don't think the factory provided) a better bigger battery is better.

Is this true of stateside STPs or is it just a UK thing? I've only seen one other mention of a second battery and I don't recall much of it.
Roberto, Not sure to be honest, I didn't know about it until I read it on here, but I :think1:think that was a US bike. But I have slept since I read it. So who knows.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
See if you can get one of these testers.
Very interesting. I've not seen these. However, the description of this also included this warning:

Restrictions:

• This product is not available for Shipping.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I have always been able to detect a dying battery early. If you notice a slightly less "aggressive" crank when you start the bike, that's a sure sign that the battery is weak. So, if you haven't done anything special lately that would cause this, it's likely a good time to order a new one. You should of course check the voltage with the bike running, just to ensure your alternator etc. works. If you get to the point where the starter won't crank anymore, but still have some power/lights, you can fairly easily push-start the bike. I have sometimes done that for a few weeks while waiting for the new battery to arrive...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

It resets to 1:00 a.m.....you should know that :rofl1:

Top Bottom