Silly / desparate question regarding exhaust gasket

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
I feel silly for asking, but what is the best way to position the exhaust gasket on the balancer pipe in the center ?

I decided to replace the original headers, because the flanges where the exhaust clamps go were rusty and I could not get a good seal, even using exhaust paste stuffs etc.
So I went for the Delkevic headers, but keeping the stock mufflers. The Delkevic headers are super nice, all clamps and seals came with it. It all installed easily. Sealing around the muffler joints is fine, but the I cannot get a good seal around the balancing pipe joint. The right-hand side (male pipe) has a shoulder, but there is a lot of space for the gasket to slide left or right. The gasket itself ist shorter than the grooves on the female side. It seems whatever I do, there are fumes coming out of the grooves... Any recommendations how to correctly position the seal / gasket ? What's teh best sequence to install the pipes, left first, right first, gasket on the left, gasket on the right before joining the two halves ? The gaskets are quite fragile, so only so much trial and error before they are destroyed...

1692903704579.png

Bike
'06 ST1300A
This might help!

Top Bottom