OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
That would be because of XM's ground repeaters. They have them in large metro areas. I lose XM when I go under bridges in Pensacola but that is probably because we don't have repeaters. The bridges and Sonic awning block the line of sight to the sats. It has nothing to do with number of sats. XM has only two and Sirius has three. XM's are all over the equator and are geostationary and Sirius's are geosynchronus over the western hemisphere
XM originally had 2, they now have 3. (And actually depending upon where you are you can get better coverage from one sat versus another under obstructions.)

As far as repeaters....I sort of already said that. ;)

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=187969&postcount=6

BTW, Sirius has ground repeaters as well, XM just has more.

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
BTW, to explain the 3 versus 2 comment.

Technically Rythm and Blues took over a while back, but Rock is still working and they use it as a sort of repeater. So, technically they have 2 sats, but in reality they have 3.

Sirius still has better sat coverage because of how their birds are positioned. Overall XM gets the best coverage because they have 10 times the number of ground based repeaters.

While you might think it will be hard to merge these two they will have a major competitor (as will regular radio) when WiMax hits as a music delivery option in about 16 months.

Bike
ST
STOC #
XM originally had 2, they now have 3. (And actually depending upon where you are you can get better coverage from one sat versus another under obstructions.)

As far as repeaters....I sort of already said that. ;)

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=187969&postcount=6

BTW, Sirius has ground repeaters as well, XM just has more.
I know that you said something about repeaters before as I had already read that by the time you posted that to which I was replying. My reply said that losing the signal doesn't always depend on where the sats are in relation to you on the ground (coverage.)
There is only one underpass in Pensacola that I lose reception unless I am stopped directly under any of the others. That one is under I-10 were they are widening and have about 8 lanes overhead. XM has a 4 sec buffer so that when you are out of sat view you will have uninterupted service. Go longer than 4 seconds and SOL.
You have to have unobstructed view of the sats, Sirius or XM to get reception unless you are in the land of repeaters.
When I pull into my garage, I lose reception after 4 seconds until I lower my metal garage door.
If you are traveling in the mountains on the northern side of them you won't get XM but probably will get Sirius.
Generally, I don't see the merger giving the advantages of one to the subscribers of the other, as they are different systems, unless the subscribers buy new equipment or the companies run the others technologies on their respective sats. To me it won't be economically feasible to put up new sats with both systems.
The only adavantage to us that I see is the combining of programming. I can do without Howard (Sirius) and Oprah (XM.)

Last edited:
BTW, to explain the 3 versus 2 comment.

Sirius still has better sat coverage because of how their birds are positioned. Overall XM gets the best coverage because they have 10 times the number of ground based repeaters.
Repeaters do not do any good to those not near repeaters, I for one am getting very tired of loosing reception everytime I go under trees.

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Repeaters do not do any good to those not near repeaters, I for one am getting very tired of loosing reception everytime I go under trees.
You should have no problems under trees.

Where are you located?

Where is your antenna mounted?

Did you shorten the antenna lead or buy an altered antenna?

You should have no problems under trees.

Where are you located?

Where is your antenna mounted?

Did you shorten the antenna lead or buy an altered antenna?
I live in Spartanburg, SC, which is in the northwestern corner of SC. I have used several different antennas over the years. I used the big stock antenna (the size of a computer mouse) with so-so luck, terrible when driving due south and trees are on my right (west). Going the same exact route, but going north, gave me better receiption....as I was further away from the trees (freeway driving).

I had fairly good luck with the Terk 4, although they don't sell it anymore. When I bought my STeed (sold XM with the Wing), I went to the Myfi unit and the antenna is MUCH smaller (1/3 the size of the computer mouse). I had it mounted on the dash, then went to a marine antenna, mounted beside the dash. I have also mounted it to the bracket on the windshield which brings it up a little higher, still I'm not 100% satisified.

When I'm zipping around the moutain roads, I'll have to switch to the "memory" mode and listen to the playback feature. If the Myfi didn't have that option I would have gotten rid of it long ago. Even still, I am thinking seriously about updating to iPod or MP technology.

OP
OP
Rob Hephner

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
When I'm zipping around the moutain roads, I'll have to switch to the "memory" mode and listen to the playback feature. If the Myfi didn't have that option I would have gotten rid of it long ago. Even still, I am thinking seriously about updating to iPod or MP technology.
The smaller unit like the MyFi don't actually supply as much power to the antenna. You may want to try the clip antenna on your shoulder, as that seems to work for some.

The problem with motorcycles is the fact that you have a body in the way, so it does present a challenge.

Two things you should know.

1. Any change in the antenna cable length will degrade signal
2. Any kinks or hard turns on the cable will degrade signal

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The other thing about Sirius is that the satellites are continually moving relative to the ground in an 8-hour cycle (see Sherob's picture), so just because you have a good signal at one instant doesn't mean you will at any other in the next eight hours. This is the same approach GPS uses to minimize dead spots.

With XM, if you don't get coverage in a spot, you're not likely to ever get coverage there.

On either service, thick foliage, especially foliage with a lot of water in it, will attenuate the signal before it gets to the antenna.

--Mark

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
There seems to be some pretty knowledgeable folks in this thread, so here's a question: Are the satellites that these radio services use owned by them and dedicated to satellite radio? Or are they on general purpose satellites and the radio folks are leasing space/bandwidth?

Top Bottom