Sirius/TomTom question...

STOC #
I know somebody out there has this answer. I'm in the process of re-installing/cleaning up my electronics and dash. Trying to go all 'bike power' and get away from batteries. I made a nice 12v to 5v step down for my sirius radio. Now the question... Can I tap into the 5v and run to my TomTom and have both powered off one transformer. I did the step down by dissassembling a standard sirius cigarette lighter plug, soldering on leads the molding the whole small package in epoxy. Worked great!

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Hmm, if the ground is not isolated you could run into engine noise issues.

Other than that, as long as you do not exceed the current draw limit of your voltage conversion you will be OK.

OP
OP
wescus
STOC #
Thanks Rob. I'd already considered that and have a high quality 12v filter on my 12v side before the step down. The 12v is comming from one of the quartet harness pairs and I'm keeping my leads as short as possible through the fairing... I'll let ya'll know if it works next week when my tomtom gets in. I'm also filtering my amplirider which will run off another quartet harness pair. I'm not sure about amperage draw with both items running, but I guess I'll find out when I try it. Steve

Last edited:

tkresler

.01% squid
Wescus,
Which TomTom do you have? The One runs a 5v, the TomTom Rider runs with 12v. Just curious.

I replaced a One for a Rider. Easier to wire, already waterproof. No speaker, but heck, I never listened anyway.

Tim

OP
OP
wescus
STOC #
I've got a 300. It'll do what I need. Wish I could get a Rider. Maybe if I get the 300 wet enough to go out I'll get a rider! Steve

tkresler

.01% squid
I've got a 300. It'll do what I need. Wish I could get a Rider. Maybe if I get the 300 wet enough to go out I'll get a rider! Steve
If you do, get a Rider v2. Much nicer, especially if you want to switch between your car and your bike.

Good luck wiring!

Tim

Top Bottom