Sleeping pad question?

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Anyone ever use this insulated pad? Which one do you use? Gotta lose some bulk and my pad isn't insulated.

KLYMIT STATIC V LUXE Sleeping Pad, Extra Wide (30 inches) Best Camping Gear for Backpacking, Camping and Hiking, (76L x 30W x 3H inches)

Bike
2010 ST1300
OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This is the one I bought for my hammock. Costly.
Insulated Klymit
I’m super pleased with it. It has an R4.4.
I bought the smaller one and it only has 1.3R value it would work in a tent environment but not the hammock.
To pack it, I roll it and unroll it three times on a picnic table to make sure I get all the air out so I can pack it as small as possible.
They’re very comfortable to sleep on and I really don’t need a pillow when I use the one for the hammock.

Attachments

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use a Teton Sports self inflating pad that is 76" x 25" x 2.5" thick. I don't feel the ground at all with it fully self inflated. Sometimes I'll add a puff more of air anyway. If I had to replace it I'd go with a 3 inch thick pad but don't need anything longer. Now Teton Sports has 2 pads, one longer and wider but still 2.5 inches and the other slightly smaller but only 2 inches thick. The one you posted about (in post 1 here) is just about right.

I also have the Teton Sports small self inflating pillow. The secret to using those is to make sure to partly deflate before closing the valve and then they work well. No need to leave it fully inflated.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I'm still using my > 20 year old ThermARest self inflating pads. Thanks to various historical tics I have two 1/2" and one 3/4". I'm going to use one of the 1/2" ones on my upcoming bicycle ride across the country but the 3/4" will be the go-to for car camping.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I use a backpacking cot similar the linked. I have an x ped tactical pad as well.
I bought a cheap $60 version of this type of cot. After a couple of days the fabric stretches and I begin touching down. Since the original one went for around $200+, I got what I paid for - i.e. not a very good cot. Buyer beware!

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Ok so this is from a Scout leaders thoughts. If you want an inflatable you need at least an R3 insulating rating. Otherwise you will feel the cold on the bottom. Big Agnes, Thermarest are nice. If using a cot a 1" yoga mat on top is great to keep the cold out and adds comfort. If I'm car camping it's a cot and foam pad year round. If I'm hiking it's a Thermarest prolite self inflating pad. Oh and I'm a quilt not a sleeping bag guy.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Ok so this is from a Scout leaders thoughts. If you want an inflatable you need at least an R3 insulating rating. Otherwise you will feel the cold on the bottom. Big Agnes, Thermarest are nice. If using a cot a 1" yoga mat on top is great to keep the cold out and adds comfort. If I'm car camping it's a cot and foam pad year round. If I'm hiking it's a Thermarest prolite self inflating pad. Oh and I'm a quilt not a sleeping bag guy.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I use the non-insulated Klymic Static V Sleeping Pad in cool looking green. (It matches my Ryobi tools.)

1655766566215.png

I didn't have any cold issues when I used it at NEWSTOC. Temp probably got down to the mid to high 40's overnight.

REI has some good data on the pad. https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/145616/klymit-static-v-sleeping-pad

• V-shaped chambers limit air movement and heat loss; chambers also help the pad stay with your every move as you sleep
  • R-value equals 1.3; most sleeping pads we sell range in R-value from 1.0 (minimally insulated) to 9.5 (well insulated)
  • Chambers evenly distribute the air for great comfort; inflated side rails help keep you on the pad
  • Static V pad can be inflated with just 10 - 15 breaths; easy-to-use push valve allows for quick deflation
  • Rolled up, Klymit Static V sleeping pad is about the size of a standard Nalgene water bottle
  • Constructed from 75-denier polyester for durability
  • Pad includes a stuff sack and patch kit
  • Closeout
You might be able to find some good deals on one, if Klymit is phasing this one out for another.

I like mine. I started using air mattresses over 50 years ago in Boy Scouts. This one is light and comfortable, even on hard ground. It packs down small.

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
I bought a cheap $60 version of this type of cot. After a couple of days the fabric stretches and I begin touching down. Since the original one went for around $200+, I got what I paid for - i.e. not a very good cot. Buyer beware!
The one I have came from Amazon and has worked wonderfully well for over 5yrs with infrequent use.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Mike, I have that pad in the uninsulated version. It’s a great pad, with lifetime warranty.

John

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now you did it! :think1:
I just had to go out and investigate this Kymit stuff and ended up buying one to update my equipment. I really like my self inflating mat but I find that, for me, when I lay on my back with my arms along my sides sometimes at least one arm slips off the mat. Not a biggie but still... That one is 25 inches wide. So I bought the Kymit Static V Luxe Rootbeer mat. It's 30 inches wide and in the bag it's only 7 inches tall by 4.75 inches diameter. A lot smaller to pack. I already have a mattress pump that is slightly bigger than the smallest one on Amazon so don't need to buy one to save my breath. It is not rechargeable but uses batteries, oh well.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Now you did it! :think1:
I just had to go out and investigate this Kymit stuff and ended up buying one to update my equipment. I really like my self inflating mat but I find that, for me, when I lay on my back with my arms along my sides sometimes at least one arm slips off the mat. Not a biggie but still... That one is 25 inches wide. So I bought the Kymit Static V Luxe Rootbeer mat. It's 30 inches wide and in the bag it's only 7 inches tall by 4.75 inches diameter. A lot smaller to pack. I already have a mattress pump that is slightly bigger than the smallest one on Amazon so don't need to buy one to save my breath. It is not rechargeable but uses batteries, oh well.
How small is that air pump. My USB rechargeable pump isn't much bigger than a D cell battery and will air up the mattress many times over one a charge.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
My air pump is bigger than that. But the point is that I already have it. And the batteries provide more than 35,000 mAH... a lot more than the mini pumps I saw on Amazon. I didn't buy it but a friend did and left it with us so there it is, just sitting on the shelf. So I'll be using it. But the pump and the packed Kymit mat together are a lot smaller packing than my old sleeping pad.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did buy a small air pump since I didn't like the way my bigger pump packed. Took up too much space and was a large lump in the dry bag and the power switch kept turning it on in the bag unless I removed the batteries. So now I have this air pump that I bought earlier this week when I saw the Amazon Prime Days pricing drop on it. (it's now a higher price of course).
https://a.co/d/baJTlpW

Top Bottom