Slow brake retraction?

Hi Guys. I just did a full brake bleed and I now notice the rear brake is slow to retract. (28000 miles total on the 2007 st1300) Did not notice it draging before, but could have been. With bike on center stand and I depress the rear pedal then release you can feel resistance to hand turning the wheel and then it slowly releases within about 5-10 seconds. Is this the sticky piston issue where they need to be cleaned or is this something else? Also the front left secondary thingy, should you be able to move that by hand or would there be to much pressure to overcome? I can't seem to move it (but I ain't Superman either)! Thanks!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Sounds like the calipers could need cleaning. You didn't mention that you pushed the pad back and that is usually when problems arise if the piston is not cleaned first. Did you push/pry the pad back?
I'm an 1100 guy so will not comment on the secondary cylinder.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
First, I'd pull pads and clean the pistons ( using brake fluid and toothbruch/plastic scrubby ) then lube up all the contact areas and pads pins where the pads slide.

If no change , To make sure its not the SMC, then I 'd do a quick re-bleed of the brake AND Make sure the left front ( SMC ) is tilted as should be... also use and pump the rear pedal for Proportional valve to assist in flow thru.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I think I know what the problem is and how to correct it. PM me and I'll help you.
Igofar

OP
OP
Nope, did not move the pads. Could have been doing this before the complete bleeding and did not notice. With bike on center stand it's pretty ovious that the rear brake pistons are slow to retract. I have the Honda service manual and didn't look yet, but does it tell you which pistons are driven by the rear brake? Looks like I'm going to have to pull the rear wheel and follow Mellow's cleaning routine. Why does this stuff crop up 2 weeks before leaving on a trip??? Still waiting to hear "Igofar"'s thoughts if it's something other than dirty pistons.

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
I have a 2007 St1300 abs and had the same problem with 86,876 km in 2009 and had it in to two service shops and they had to call the Honda tech line and found that the secondary master cylinder mounted on the lower left fork was rusted up and corrorded and was not releasing fluid to the rear caliper. The changed the rear master under warenty and that resolved the issue.

Hope that helps

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Igofar is waiting by the white curtesy phone if anyone needs help.:D

Top Bottom