SmartTire TPM - Battery Replacement????

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Thanks to Shuey who sent me two damaged SmartTire sensors for detailed surgical analysis, to determine if the batteries can be replaced (as we know, we can no longer buy new sensors).

The photos show the sensors with a black silicone type filling material, that is quite spongy and can be picked off easily. Next pic shows potting material off, two screws exposed and the red lines indicate 4 solder points of the battery connections to the circuit board. I cut around the board with a knife to cut as much potting material as possible, to make circuit board removal easier. Next, to pry the board up carefully, one end was stuck down (batteries soldered to board but potting material around them). Notice a copper spring, which I think may be the antenna. Once apart, I found a piece of wire, which looks like it broke from the coil, and one end was inserted into the board (I attempted to recreate the original).

I do not know if the copper antenna spring was broken before I disassembled or not, but let us strongly suspect I broke it when I pried the board upwards. It is held by a three-pronged triangle of tabs, but may have been "glued down" by potting material.

Next, on to the batteries shown covered in potting material, which strained as I pried more. No real damage except to separate the two button batteries (Panasonic 3 volt, #BR1632A), which have a contact wire projection welded to each surface, an insulating washer in between the two, a green heat shrunk insulator around each battery. The wires go through the board and are soldered on the opposite side. They are in parallel, not series, so the board runs on 3V. Shuey, I did check these batteries and they appeared to have 2.4V each remaining. Date code stamped on the assembly was 3Y08, whatever that means.

Next pictures show one leg unsoldered from the board, and I opened the sandwich.........

My conclusion, not replaceable by the ordinary guy who likely doesn't have a mini-projection welder and spare terminals. Further, one probably should use some kind of silicone solvent to break down the potting material, but I would be suspicious that it might damage the componentry. As well, I was working on a broken sensor where plastic was broken away allowing me better access than an unbroken sensor....... yes, I saved the other one if anyone thinks this is worth pursuing.

And if we can't replace these batteries or knows someone who can, we are doomed to replace a great TPM system IMHO, with another.

So, be careful not to break the sensors when dismounting tires, break the bead 90 degrees to the sensor and work around carefully. From new, SmartTire claimed a 7 year battery life, for what that's worth.

Once again, thanks to Shuey. I hope this is useful to those of us with SmartTire systems.

Attachments

OP
OP
RaYzerman
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Are you sure that copper wire isn't a hollow tube that makes up the pressure sensing element of the unit?
Upon further examination, it appears to be solid copper, hard like spring material, and the little broken end was soldered (poorly) to the hole in the board. The trace does go to some electronics, which may be for vibration sensing. A vibration must be detected for the unit to start transmitting, and it stays active for a few minutes after vibrations stop. It then shuts down to conserve batteries.

The other thing it could be is a temperature sensor, as it will display tire temperature. This may be more likely, actually. I took another look at the broken piece, and given the hardness of this stuff and the worn appearance of the ends, I now doubt very much if I broke it. But the remaining small piece might have been big enough to sense temperature, and function. It's just a guess though.

YR

Bike
ST1300A
If I would design it, I would use miniature electronic components to measure motion, pressure, and temperature. One solution would be one, or a set of strain gauges for all of the above functions. Temperature is most conveniently measured by a temperature-dependent resistor of some sort. There is no need for a heavy copper coil for that. I bet that this is the antenna. Maybe it is heavy to not deform, or to not vibrate, due to the forces acting on the unit.

By the way, if I would get to this point of the surgical procedure, I would remove the batteries completely, make a connection port, and glue the replacement batteries on the outside.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Is there a patent number. If so you could look it up and get an idea how it was built.
Dan

Top Bottom