SMC Failure

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
For pete's sake I hope the folks that neglect Honda's recommendation and procedure for hydraulic fluid replacement read threads like this. Ignore it at your own peril - the design is such it will retain moisture in the SMC bore and if left in there for a long time it likely will corrode the bore and things start sticking.
I would go further to say that if you ride like me (rain or shine) you flush the brakes once a year. What is Honda's recommendation, 2 years? If you are in the deserts of AZ or a fair weather rider you can likely get by longer between flushes. I no longer look at the sight glass on my brakes to see when it needs changing. The contamination that worked into the system via the SMC was nasty. The fluid was very milky in color. The bore is fine on my original assembly but I swapped out the entire thing as that was all that was available.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The test to verify if it is the SMC is to lay down on the ground on the left side of the bike and use your foot to spin the rear wheel, while it is turning, your grasp the smc assembly/fork leg and push it forward.
This should cause the rear wheel to lock up firmly. When you release the smc the rear wheel should spin freely again.
Honda dealerships tell everyone that the parts are backordered till whenever....I called several distributors and they ALL said they had them in stock. I ordered a spare rebuild kit and had it in 3 days!
I ordered mine from RONAYERS.COM, but BIKEBANDIT, CLAWSON MOTORSPORTS, and several other distributors had them too.
I agree with the prior comments about changing the fluid ONCE a year no matter the mileage. Cheaper to change fluid than have your brakes lock up and throw you off the bike!
I'd also take a small wood or plastic shim, remove the pads, insert the shim, and pump the brakes so the pistons are exposed more, then clean with brake fluid and a toothbrush, then use silglide on the back of the pads, pins and pistons. DO NOT use spray can brake cleaner!!! it will cause the seals and orings to swell and make the dang things stick!
when you remove the pads check them for WEDGED shape wear! Another sign something is sticking (piston) may not be coming all the way out causing brakes to drag!
And lastly, GENTLY take your fingertips and pinch the rubber boot on the smc and pull it forward. It will pop out of the little groove that it rests in. You can then see the shaft's condition. Rudesters unit had pond scum ooze out of it! It was completely filled with water and muck!
Be sure you fill the rubber boot up on the new replacement unit with silicone grease to keep the water out!
PM me if you have any other questions.
Igofar

OP
OP
stoc445
Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Well, I called Service Honda and my order is being processed and they expect my parts any day... For the record, I flushed all fluids every year. Previously, I'd pivot the SMC carier but this past time, I removed the SMC carrier (as suggested in one of the articles posted here) and positioned as suggested. I did get more of the old fluid out, but it wasn't that bad, we'll see. I plan on mounting a fresh set of tires and a doing good cleaning of all the calipers this weekend. As suggested, I'll lift the boot and check for gunk n such at this time.

OP
OP
stoc445
Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Well, It's been almost a month and I'm still not road worthy. Been a bumpy road to get here. Since my last post I installed a J&M CB but decided to make my own bracket. Then found my windshield lift assembly was close to being whacked. Then mounted up new tires and found my pads were getting thin so installed new pads all around. Cleaned and lubed all the necessary bits and finally at the point of installing the SMC rebuild kit. My snap ring pliers crapped out, two pliers later (Channel Locks no less) the plunger assembly is installed. Now, close to the end of the process, but another hurdle.

Started bleeding the system last night and got to the point of the proportion valve and notice the SMC boot wasn't seated. Then found the snap ring had popped out (hence the second set of pliers). Anyway, the ring is now secured but that *&^+$# boot will not seat.

How does one maintain their sanity while seating the bootie? At this point, I'm ready to sell and buy a Harley, at least then I'd have a good excuse spending nice weekends working in the damn thing...

RCS

Well, I called Service Honda and my order is being processed and they expect my parts any day... For the record, I flushed all fluids every year. Previously, I'd pivot the SMC carier but this past time, I removed the SMC carrier (as suggested in one of the articles posted here) and positioned as suggested. I did get more of the old fluid out, but it wasn't that bad, we'll see. I plan on mounting a fresh set of tires and a doing good cleaning of all the calipers this weekend. As suggested, I'll lift the boot and check for gunk n such at this time.
Denny, sorry about you parts situation. When you say you flush fluids every year, do you follow the Service Manual procedure to the letter regarding the brake fluid flush? Meaning, during the flush procedure did you take the front caliper off and angle it at 15 degrees? Also, did you drain all the lines completely before filling them?

Reason I ask is that I want to know if I should stock a SMC in my bin-o-parts.

OP
OP
stoc445
Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Denny, sorry about you parts situation. When you say you flush fluids every year, do you follow the Service Manual procedure to the letter regarding the brake fluid flush? Meaning, during the flush procedure did you take the front caliper off and angle it at 15 degrees? Also, did you drain all the lines completely before filling them?

Reason I ask is that I want to know if I should stock a SMC in my bin-o-parts.
Bob,
I didn't follow the service manual, reason being is there is an article posted that indicates the SM procedure is incorrect. I followed the article posted on this site. FWIW, I flush all fluids once a year.

Top Bottom