SMC overhaul parts

STU

hi Everyone,

I would like to try and order parts to overhaul my SMC before stripping it. I know it sounds crazy, but I use the bike every day and cant be without it/wait for parts. I'm absolutely certain the SMC is knackered and even if I end up not needing the parts and can just clean it up I dont mind.
So...the question is, for those of you that have already done this. Will I need the parts similar to a normal master cylinder rebuild/overhaul, or is it likely I will need the 'body' of the SMC as well.
Sorry for probably incorrect terminology. Im only an amateur!:)

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
STU, here in the USA the part # for the overhaul kit is # 45620-MCS-G03, price is $51.25. U wont have your answer till U take the master cylinder apart?

OP
OP

STU

Thanks folks,
Trosty, its good to know Im not the only one in Uk tackling these things! Im pleased it didnt take you too long. Will probably take me a bit longer if I do it on my own, which Im kind of inclined to do now....if I can find some time. Otherwise it will go into the garage next week. Who is the stealer?

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
After helping Igofar with his rebuild I would strongly encourage you to just by a new SMC and for get the kit. I wouldn't ever want to do that again.

OP
OP

STU

Surprise...yes, I actually changed the SMC myself today. OK...so I didnt follow everyones advice to a tee. I bought a complete used SMC off ebay. Took it apart...it was all clean and good. Fitted to my bike. Bleed the brakes as per the brilliant instructions on this site. BUT...
AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH..the brakes are still sticking on. Even worse than before!
And, on inspecting the SMC that I took off my bike, that was all clean and working fine too.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance.
STU

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There was a PCV recall on some bikes.. it's possible that is the issue.

OP
OP

STU

Thanks Mellow, I was wondering if that is the case. Actually, if it helps anyone come up with ideas, it is the front brake that is sticking the most. Really sticking hard now.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Try and describe the symptoms really well to us.

What is the fluid level in the front brake reservoir?

How many turns does the front wheel make with a healthy push by hand?

Does one rotor or both make more noise when turning by hand?

Is is a Shoop - Shoop noise or a constant Ssshhhh?

Etc.

OP
OP

STU

Hi folks.
Well here we go. I have a couple of mechanic friends that during my life have suggested to me to always look for the simple things first.
IF ONLY ID LISTENED to them.!!!
I was so convinced it was the SMC....but the one I took off, and the one I put on (used but much newer) were both in fine shape inside and out. PS..its much easier to get inside them than some people on here have suggested. Once the circlip is out, its easy...but I guess Im lucky to have the proper tool to get the circlip out.
Anyway...having completed changing the SMC and bleeding, (following the excellent bleeding advice on this site), I got really fed up because they were still sticking so I went down to the local bike shop. In minutes, they discovered that it was just the pistons sticking in the front left caliper. They were so kind with their advice I decided to let them have the work. They will do it next week, and fingers crossed they are correct. WIll let you all know.
Thanks for all your help. This is such a great site. Having found it, I might just keep the ST!! Have often thought about going back to the blackbird I used to own...but maybe the ST isnt so bad after all.

Last edited:
OP
OP

STU

Just picked the bike up yesterday. Brakes seem to be OK, although I wouldnt say the feel 100 percent correct. Having said that though, the brakes on my pan, (ever since I bought it) have never had great feel or stopping power. Thats why I tend to think they are an unneccesary and complicated system. The brakes on my 1995 Fireblade have MUCH better feel and stopping power, and even the brakes on the Blackbird (CBR1100) I used to own (also linked brakes) had much better feel/stopping power than the Pan.
Strange. Anway...thanks again for all your comments/help.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just picked the bike up yesterday. Brakes seem to be OK, although I wouldnt say the feel 100 percent correct. Having said that though, the brakes on my pan, (ever since I bought it) have never had great feel or stopping power. Thats why I tend to think they are an unneccesary and complicated system. The brakes on my 1995 Fireblade have MUCH better feel and stopping power, and even the brakes on the Blackbird (CBR1100) I used to own (also linked brakes) had much better feel/stopping power than the Pan.
Strange. Anway...thanks again for all your comments/help.
Did your local bike shop bleed them correctly? They found the SMC was sticking which is a feather in their cap but you may want to make sure they did tilt the SMC and follow the procedure. Some shops get in a hurry and while bleeding the PCV and one of the rear brake bleeders are very slow or need some coaxing to get fluid out. My first change I just assumed I was good and didn't do a 100% job.

Also, what did your fireblade and blackbird weigh compared to the ST? That makes a big difference. My Tenere is only 150-ish lighter than the ST but the brakes feel like they stop quite a bit better.

Top Bottom