SMC Rattle

OP
OP
Tom P
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Like the saying goes. The only bad question is the one not asked. We don't mind.

Yeah, not saying it needs to be done but the two symptoms depend on which way it is out of whack. Too loose then you get a gravely rattle to the engine. Too tight and there is more of a high pitch squeal. Now the whine of the engine is normal so it is hard to describe until you do the adjustment and see what. With properly adjusted counter balancers the engine is smoother. I know when I did the TB sync and counter balancer adjustment at the same time I went to a smooth bike to one that I thought stalled every time I came to a stop sign or light. It was that much smoother. I think my counter balancer can be tweaked again as I have a little vibration at idle but not bad enough to mess with it. Since you are new you will likely not notice one way or another. That is why I mentioned it in the thread where someone said that they have the plastic off anyhow so what should I do for maint as long as it is off. It won't hurt anything that I am aware of if they are off. It is just a comfort thing.
Thank you so much for the great explanation. I Will plan on that when I pull the plastic again.

Top Bottom