Smell/white smoke

Bike
2007 ST1300
I am new to the st1300 platform. I have a 2007 with about 46000 miles on it. Well cared for and always garaged. I ride rain or shine, and recently gave it a wash.

I noticed there is frequently a burning smell when warming the bike up after riding in the rain and after the first wash.

Can someone please tell me what the smell is? I’ve searched the forum and I can’t find an answer. Thanks!

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just bought a second ST1300 ABS and it too had a funky smell at start up.
I blamed it on sitting for 2 years with all the cob webs I had to remove.
Still the smell lingered. What I found out is I'm thinking the previous owner or 2, took it up to Alaska or road it extensively on dirt roads.
The exhaust headers were caked in a funky grease slim mud. No clue where it was ridden. Removed all the mud caked on the headers and now the smell is gone.
Check your exhaust pipes for caked mud on them.
You have to remove the lower black trim to get at them, I even removed the black front plastic grill to get most of it off
I have the same mileage as you do.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
It lasts only a few minutes and it’s mostly after getting wet. I just want to know if this is normal for this bike so I can stop worrying.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You said the smell only appears after a bike wash or riding in the rain. That suggests no smell if you take the bike out on a dry day. Clearly, something is getting wet that is subject to heat - like the exhaust system. As suggested, pull the lower fairing pieces (they are easy to remove - only the lower piece on each side. Note the fasteners. Some of the screws are shoulder bolts (with a fat unthreaded portion that allows you to hold the plastic against the frame without crushing it) and some are not. They must go back in the same locations. Once you get the exhaust system revealed, inspect that area.

Burning coolant smells sweet (1300's are notorious for a minor coolant leak at the hose clamps). Burning rubber or plastic is not good, but if it doesn't smell on dry days, then clearly its water that contributes to the odor.

Top Bottom